Ford Transit Connect Forum

Please help! Manuel transmission swap

We took a 2008 for focus Manuel transmission and swapped it into our 2013 transit connect. The swap went flawless but now we can not far the ecm to recognize the Manuel transmission. Thus going into limp mode after 10 mph. 

We tried installing 2008 key into the transmission but now we can not break the security code. 

Please any help with any suggestions. Ford dealerships will not touch us in Wisconsin. Text or call also works. 

Chaz 715-fourfour1 0threesixtwo

The free software Forscan may work. You can change the configuration of a vehicle, including the engine and transmission type, using Forscan. Spend several hours reading a researching the various Ford forums where owners have made changes using Forscan. If you do something terribly wrong you will brick your ECU. You will be on you own so don't expect any help from the forums, especially since it is a TC and not a F-150 (popularity difference). You will have to determine which modules need to be changed and what changes to make. Spend some time on the other Ford forums and search for a similar application. The Focus and Escape are built on the same platform as the TC and will have similar modules and programming architecture.

https://forscan.org/

https://forscan.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=ccdaf90db0cc7dfd82d78ae9ab5c23a0

This post has some very useful links to tutorials written by other Ford forum members. READ READ READ before you attempt to change the settings in your TC. You can brick your ECU if you are not careful. Just be methodical and make backup copies of all modules.

I don't know if Foreskin will help.  Ideally, prior to undertaking such a mechanical endeavor, a reasonable person would have researched how to program the Engine Control Module, Transmission Control Module, and would have collected the proper hardware & software knowledge.  The same way you get your other tools ready.  Lay out the proper wrenches, so that you don't get to a certain bolt, and have to find the socket.  I almost want to say that this type of technical savvy may be beyond the members of this forum, none of whom work as custom coach builders and/or automotive engineers.  I can't speak for everyone else.  I'm just a loud mouth who can change oil & rotate the tires.  My skill set doesn't even allow me to make grits any faster than the rest of the grit eating world.

Back in the early 2000's when we would swap a manual transmission into an automatic Ford Focus you would have to reflash the engine's ECU to forget about the automatic PCM. It was a pretty common thing as the ECU's were supported by the aftermarket (Diablo Sport, SCT, etc..). Given the aftermarket hasn't really embraced the TC I would doubt this is going to be an easy task. 

Does anyone here know if the Focus ECU and the TC ECU are the same? 

There is no single ECU any more. Fords have separate modules that perform specifuc functions. My TC has about 10 modules. Fancy F-150s can have 20.

Some vehicle configuration changes require changes to multiple modules. Forscan can make these changes IF the programmers have taken the time to reverse engineer them. They have not addressed every function on every Ford worldwide. But many normal changes like auto door locks, headlamp type etc have been addressed.

The Focus and TC have the same modules in the programming architecture, but I don't know if they are physically the same. A quick internet parts check would confirm.

Edited by Don Ridley

1 hour ago, Don Ridley said:

There is no single ECU any more. Fords have separate modules that perform specifuc functions. My TC has about 10 modules. Fancy F-150s can have 20.

We diagnosed my friend’s Benz. It had 39 ECUs reported by the app..

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 8:42 AM, mrtn said:

Someone on this board has done the swap. Look it up.

Yes, but . . . . A.) He hired a professional to do the swap, B.) It's a Gen 2 TC, not a Gen 1, C.)They have been at it for about a year, and D.) I don't recall that they have a drive able manual trans TC on the road as yet  -  They may very well run into similar problems before they are done

Don