Ford Transit Connect Forum

2015 Transit Connect Losing Water / Coolent

I have just purchased a pre-owned 2015 Transit Connect.  Very happy with it so far except I find that I can top up with coolant and after a few days of driving it has dropped below the minimum level despite the van not overheating.  I took it into Ford and they did a pressure test and confirmed no leaks in hoses etc. as the pressure test indicator didn't move.

Has anyone experienced the same thing or have any insight to the problem as I can't see it right having to top up water so frequently.

If it’s not leaking out on the ground it is going somewhere.  Make sure you don’t have a blown head gasket.  That would allow water to get into combustion chamber and then out the tail pipe. Obviously that is not good.   I’m hoping that is not the case.  I’m hoping you have a leak that only happens when the engine is up to temperature.  Have you looked around to see if there are any signs of leaks?

No signs of leaking water .... seem to be losing water when running only.  Did check oil dipstick but don't see any water bubbles so not sure.

It is the 1.6 diesel... wasn't aware of cooling system recall.  Mine is a 2015 August model. Do you know when the recall was?

You would think that the dealer would know if recall affected him, via VIN number.

I remember once when I was at a dealership for a coupon oil change.  After the oil change, the car went from the oil change / service bay, to the next building where they did major mechanical work.  The tech had a repair notice in his hand.  Factory wanted him to change the sticker under the hood to indicate use of 5W-20 motor oil, and install a new oil cap marked 5W-20.  Weird, but there was another instance where the dealership called me to come in, so that they could install new stickers on the door indicating the recommended PSI in the tires.

I am adding this, only because it is a very common reason fro water loss.  I do NOT know if it applies here.

Coolant systems are pressurized.  The pressure is regulated by the radiator cap.  When pressure exceeds maximum levels, the cap allows pressure and steam to vent into the reservoir.  It's vented in below the water line, and the steam condenses when it hits the water.  This tends to "fill" the reservoir.   As the system cools down, and pressure inside drops, it draws water back in from the reservoir, lowering the level.  Hence the "hot" and "cold" coolant level marks on the reservoir.

If there is NO water in the reservoir, then the steam escapes and you lose water.

If the cap is allowing too much to escape (weak spring, seal leak, etc.) then it blows through the reservoir and you lose water.

If the hose between the reservoir and the radiator is damaged, you can lose water.

You said the dealership pressure tested the system ... did they, or have you, put a new cap on it, yet.

Edited by Mike Chell

• 5 months later...

There's another possibility.  That's a leaky gasket in the intake somewhere.  That lets coolant into the combustion chamber, where it gets burned off just fine, but causes the coolant levels to drop.  It won't show on a pressure check, and my experience with that is usually on Chevy V8s, which are nowhere near Ford I4s, but it's a thought.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I have same issue with the water coolant but mine after couple days of it being parked up and me opening the cap to refill it with coolant the pressure in side pushes the water I’ve had it emptied as I was thinking it may be airlock done this a few times but can’t seem to find the problem also if the head gasket was gone oil would mix with the water but this is not happing

• 11 months later...