Ford Transit Connect Forum

Painting body moldings

Are the black body moldings good at holding paint? The front and back on the cargo van have just entirely too much black. I would like to paint the 4 pieces just above and below the taillights Frozen White same as the rest of the van. This should also help tone down the tall taillights of which I am not a big fan. 

image.png.d1dcabafe5bc76232a34c48b46187fcf.png Something like this, please excuse the roughness of my artwork.

My first thought was to spray them with Plasti Dip, it’s matt but they have a glossifier.  I think it’s possible to paint, I’m no expert, seems like the paint is the same as used for plastic bumper caps - has a flex agent or something in it.  

4 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

This has part of what I mean.

image.png.e0173b3bca30f63de4bdb5556458ff91.png

Then I notice I don't see a side door! How come you European guys get all the good stuff?

The side door is on the other side, obv.

Mine has a sliding rear door on the passenger side. You can order any configuration in Europe, including no rear side doors at all, apart from the rear hatch or barn doors, you can't avoid those. No hinged rear side doors available.

There is a step on the place of the non-existent left side door tho, just like on the door side. I keep my spare wheel there. Fits like a glove.

1 hour ago, mrtn said:

You can order any configuration in Europe

It should be like that everywhere.  Including the option of right hand drive.

i would like a column mounted shifter. Crown Victorias, Explorers, and F-150 trucks came with center console shifters and column shifters.

Got enough paint to do the moldings just above the taillights. Will start with those first since they are relatively small and I can see how I like the results. Need a couple of days curing time where the van isn't moving so it will need to wait until we get back from OBX for the 4th. Love a road trip.

You can take those pieces off the van.  Just like the  tail lights.  2 screws.  

Take them off.  Paint them.  Allow paint to cure.  Mount them back on after you're satisfied.  You can drive around for a few days without those trim pieces.  

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

You can take those pieces off the van.  Just like the  tail lights.  2 screws.  

Take them off.  Paint them.  Allow paint to cure.  Mount them back on after you're satisfied.  You can drive around for a few days without those trim pieces.  

Yep, no biggie. Except we are headed to North Carolina this evening. Its a working vacation and I don't want to get distracted from working on the Sunnyside Beach Cottage Retirement Home. It's finally coming together after about five years working on it. 

They paint all the plastic moldings on the XLT and Titanium series wagons body color, so it can be done.  But . . . . they don't use the same paint as they do on the metal parts.  They put a flex agent in the paint used for plastic parts so the paint won't flake off as the plastic 'moves' when heated and cooled.  I would suggest you take off one of your plastic parts and take it to an automotive paint shop where they mix paint and those guys can advise you what you need to add to your paint to make it stay on the plastic

DonP1000347.jpg

It sounds like if you do the proper paint prep, you should be able to tackle this yourself.  No problem .. Rent a car.  Shoot your van with paint.  It will dry & cure while you are on your trip.  By the time you come home, you'll be coming home to a new van.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:28 PM, Fifty150 said:

Let's just drive to his house, and paint it for him.

That's probably a looooong drive Bubbaloo, you guys ARE impatient.

Anyway there is something more than the two screws holding it in. I can't see what it is, but I suspect some little plastic alignment studs of some sort. I'm not inclined to just go yanking on it willy-nilly and maybe break something. Anyone know exactly what it is?

Mine popped right out after removing the torx screws.  It is kind of fitted with the lamp housing assembly.  But should pull right out once you remove the screws.

9 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Anyway there is something more than the two screws holding it in. I can't see what it is, but I suspect some little plastic alignment studs of some sort.

With the price of fuel being what it is, and me getting only 18 MPG with California fuel, I probably can't afford it.

9 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

That's probably a looooong drive Bubbaloo, you guys ARE impatient.

3 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Mine popped right out after removing the torx screws.  It is kind of fitted with the lamp housing assembly.  But should pull right out once you remove the screws.

I thought it would too and did remove the lamp assembly first since that overlaps it. I'll maybe try the other side today if it doesn't rain. Don't have a garage. That side may act right and give me a clue before I break something.

• 1 month later...