Ford Transit Connect Forum

Jacks

Fifty150

On 6/17/2018 at 7:14 AM, Fifty150 said:

I don't want to be the guy who has to crawl under.

You don’t need to. It’s for rolling an open-wheel race car into it. You can see it in the background.

11 hours ago, Jiquay said:

With the frequency of a flat tire on the road (one in 35 yrs driving) and the cost of CAA service, I think I'll leave the jack at home & use that trunk space for something else...

GK

You're very lucky.  The last time that I had a flat, in a personal vehicle, which I had to change myself, Miami Vice was still on the air.

Since then, I've changed tires for other people, friends, family, co-workers, et cetera.  And only in work vehicles.....I found a lot of nails, screws, other road debris; where I either drove it into a repair facility or called a tire truck to meet me.  Some tires were repaired roadside, with plugs, and I kept on trucking.  Others had to be changed on the spot, and the entire tire replaced.  

I think of the probability in relation to miles driven.  Personal car goes less than 20 miles a day.  Work car goes over 200 miles a day.  Trucks at work also catch a lot more rocks and gravel.  The windshield on my work car gets a repair every few months; sometimes a new windshield.  When was the last time anyone had a personal vehicle that got 6 - 8 windshield repairs a year?

22 hours ago, G B L said:

The 1.5 Ton is  enough for a road Jack.  

Just looking at the specs of the Harbor Freight jack vs the Sears jack that I have in the garage.   Considering picking up one of the Harbor Freight models like you have.

Both are low profile.  Similar lift range.  Even the weight is pretty close.  But my Sears jack isn't aluminum.  Hmm......even close in pricing.  

Specifications
Name 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
SKU 60569
Brand Pittsburgh® Automotive
Handle Length (in.) 37-3/8 in.
Maximum Lift Height (in.) 14-1/8 in.
Minimum height (in.) 3-1/2 in.
Product Length 19 in.
Product Weight 31.68 lb.
Product Width 9-1/2 in.
Shipping Weight 34.00 lb.
Size(s)

1.5 Ton

Specifications

Dimensions and Capacity:
Overall Dimensions:
23.81 in. L
Product Overview:
Item Weight :
31.5 (lbs.)
General Warranty:
1 year full
Quantity in Set:
Minimum Height :
3.5 (in.)
Maximum Height :
14 (in.)
Folding:
Not Folding
Lift & Jack Type:
Floor jacks
Color:
Color/Finish:
Black
Installation Requirements:
Assembled:
Assembly Required
Capacity:
Lift Capacity:
2-1/2 ton
Wheels & Tires:
Wheels or Casters:
No
Locking Casters or Wheels:
No
Materials & Finish:
Material:
Steel

On 6/24/2018 at 8:53 PM, Fifty150 said:

But my Sears jack isn't aluminum.

Do you have a picture of the jack.  The small steel jacks i have seen  have a much narrower stance so the Harbor freight jack seem more stable.

With Sears on the verge of crumbling, there are a lot of sales, discounts, coupons, customer rewards promotions......and almost everything in the store is priced to move.  All sorts of Craftsman tools can be had at a real bargain.  I paid about $42 today, for a jack that was originally priced at $170, marked down to $124, then further reduced with other promotional discounts. 

Only real problem is that it is heavy.  That's okay.  I don't plan on picking it up all that much.  Lift range is adequate for me to use on a Honda, Transit Connect, and F-150.  Real problem, which isn't really a problem, has always been the 6" lift kit on the pickup.  Frame rails are 18" off the floor.  Luckily, the only time that I'll need to jack it is to rotate tires or do brake work.  Easiest option is to pay a shop to do it on a lift.  With a lift kit, I can do almost everything else without jacking the truck up.  Oil change, transmission fluid exchange, differential fluid exchange, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, coolant exchange,  et cetera.  All of the aftermarket bolt on accessories and lighting were easily installed also.  

• image.png.4cd19238bc7ff297a999e353f62f791e.pngimage.png.1c9eb457545b47aa81d73adf3e1c1570.png

• Online Only 

spin_prod_1058903112?hei=1000&wid=1000&op_sharpen=1

Craftsman 3.5 Ton Garage Jack

Model # G-737

3.5 Ton Garage Jack. 

High-Lift Garage Jack is designed to lift, but not support, one end of a vehicle. Immediately after lifting, loads must be supported by a pair of appropriately rated jack stands. This Speedy Lift garage jack has a unique feature that provides fast, no load lifts to the jacking point, at which time it lifts in approximately 1/4"~3/4" increments.

• Speedy Lift, with just 1-2 pumps, lifts to chassis saving time and energy
  • High Maximum lift makes it a great fit for SUVs, Trucks, Trailers and other high clearance vehicles
  • Magnetic tool and parts tray helps keep you organized
  • Universal Joint release mechanism provides precision control of lead descent in any handle position
  • Built in by-pass device protects hydraulic system from over pumping
  • Rolled side frame adds strength to reduce unwanted twisting
  • Rear swivel casters provides easy jack positioning
  • Built-in internal safety valve ensures safe operation
  • Meets or exceeds ANSI/PALD-2009 standards

Specifications

Dimensions and Capacity:
Overall Dimensions:
28-1/2" x 13-3/4" x 6-1/2"
Product Overview:
Item Weight :
90 (lbs.)
General Warranty:
One (1) year from date of purchase
Quantity in Set:
Minimum Height :
5.500 (in.)
Maximum Height :
22.000 (in.)
Lift & Jack Type:
Floor jacks
Operation Type:
Hydraulic
Color:
Color/Finish:
Black, silver, red
Installation Requirements:
Assembled:
Assembly Required
Capacity:
Lift Capacity:
3.5 ton
Wheels & Tires:
Wheels or Casters:
Yes
Locking Casters or Wheels:
No
Certifications:
Certifications:
Meets or exceeds ANSI/PALD-2009 standards

The Craftsman jack is definitely a better unit than the Harbor Freight. Much higher capacity, albeit a refurbished unit. My experience is the rams fail. It would depend on your intended use. For example, I have a OTC aluminum jack in my work van, it gets the job done and weighs about 35 lbs. Sometimes it's in and out of the van 2 - 3 times a day. The Craftsman jack is 90 lbs, and my back would be screaming at me if I had to haul that in & out all day. Get the Craftsman for occasional use, and the extended warranty on the Harbor Freight unit if you choose it and will use it a lot.

The Craftsman jack that I bought was new, not refurbished.  Good price with coupons, discounts, and promotions.  Got the price down to what a refurbished unit would cost.  A friend of mine insist that those refurbished tools are just as good as new, since they have been rebuilt with all new seals and have new fluid.  A refurbished tool comes with a warranty also.  Over the years, I have rebuilt a few things myself.  Little bottle jacks can last forever if you change the seals, purge excess air, and refill with new fluid, as needed.  I don't see why you can't own a floor jack forever if you change the seals, bleed the jack, change the hydraulic fluid, et cetera.  Just a lot of work, though.  You bought the jack so that you can work on your car; and now you have to work on the jack too.

That Craftsman jack is something that you keep in your garage.  No way would that be your mobile unit.  I only see floor jacks like that in shops.  Never on a tow truck.  In a Transit Connect, for emergency purposes, a little trolley jack will do.  Bottle jacks can also work.  For me, the idea is that if I ever do need to change a tire, I just don't want to have to depend on the OEM scissor jack.  And it's not really practical to carry shop equipment.  Otherwise, I would have a diesel powered generator, an air compressor, and an assortment of air tools all in the back of the van.

2 hours ago, zalienz said:

The Craftsman jack is definitely a better unit than the Harbor Freight.

I hear that Harbor Freight jacks are getting better.  I have also heard that Craftsman tools may not be as good as they used to be.  The jacks were never a lifetime guarantee item, like a wrench.  And they couldn't possibly give you a lifetime guarantee on everything.  Can you imagine a hammer or screwdriver with a lifetime guarantee?  The whole purpose of a hammer is that I will smash it into things.....and then it breaks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 4:42 PM, Fifty150 said:

I hear that Harbor Freight jacks are getting better. 

I don't know about that ... they're still made by the same companies, as far as I know.

I have also heard that Craftsman tools may not be as good as they used to be. 

Is it true that Sears is going completely our of business?  I've heard that they no longer own the "Craftsman" brand, having sold it to Lowes or Home Depot.

Can you imagine a hammer or screwdriver with a lifetime guarantee? 

I've never tried to replace a hammer ... but the lifetime guarantee DOES work for screwdrivers.  They will replace them, unless there's obvious signs of misuse.  I've seen on refused because of the bend in the shaft ... obvious sign that it was used to pry.

16 hours ago, Mike Chell said:

Is it true that Sears is going completely our of business?  I've heard that they no longer own the "Craftsman" brand, having sold it to Lowes or Home Depot.

All the business periodicals have speculated on the survival of Sears.  Truth is, nobody really knows what the future will hold.  Everyone is just guessing.  

If Sears is to survive, there will have to be some major retooling.  Have you been to a Sears lately?  At least half of the store is full of clothes that they can't sell.  They are out of the fashion industry by a long shot.  No girl that I know would wear Sears clothes, shoes, perfume, jewelry... ..so that is a done deal.  Sears will never recapture the fashion industry.  There is a sporting goods department stocked with items that don't move at all.  I never see anyone at Sears buying a treadmill, weight set, basketball, or golf clubs.  When was the last time you, or anyone you know, decided to redecorate their home from Sears?  So the living room sets, dining room furniture, housewares.......more of it gets broken by kids running in the store, than actually gets sold.  

Sears sells leading brand merchandise.  Name brands.  At competitive prices.  So why are you buying your next microwave, blender, wrist watch, fishing pole, or whatever at another store?

The Discover Card is a credit card issued primarily in the United States. It was introduced by Sears in 1985.  At the time the Discover Card was introduced, Sears was the largest retailer in the United States. It had purchased the Dean Witter Reynolds brokerage organization and Coldwell, Banker & Company (real estate) in 1981.

I still have a Discover Card.

On November 17, 2004, the management of Kmart Holding Corporation announced its intention to purchase Sears, Roebuck and Co under a new corporation.   The new corporation became known as Sears Holdings Corporation, simply known as Sears Holdings. 

On February 22, 2010, the Sears Automotive business launched a new Independent Sears Auto Center franchise program that offers automobile dealers the opportunity to operate licensed Sears Auto Centers.  In 2017, Sears launched a pilot location in San Antonio for a DieHard-branded auto service franchise, DieHard Auto Center driven by Sears Auto. 

On January 4, 2018, Sears Holdings announced it would shutter 103 unprofitable Kmart and Sears stores, after 24 quarters of sales declines.  These stores would be closing by April 2018, leaving Sears Holdings with 555 stores.  According to an op-ed in MSN money, at this rate, Sears along with sister company Kmart, has an extremely high chance of disappearing and going defunct in 2018, and that 2017 will have marked its final holiday season as an independent brand.

On January 14, 2018 their Canadian unit, Sears Canada, ceased operations with all stores closed.

Sears had 3 brands that were bread & butter money makers.  Kenmore, DieHard, and Craftsman.

DieHard is still owned by Sears.  The brand is owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings for securitization purposes.

Kenmore is controlled by Sears Holdings, and owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings for securitization purposes. The name "KCD IP" is an abbreviation for Kenmore Craftsman DieHard intellectual property.  Today the brand is sold at Sears, Kmart, and Amazon.com.

Craftsman is a line of tools, lawn and garden equipment, and work wear. Originally owned by Sears, In March 2017, Stanley Black & Decker acquired the Craftsman brand from Sears Holdings. Sears maintains the right to manufacture and sell tools using existing supply channels under the Craftsman name for 15 years after the deal closed. Craftsman hand tools are advertised as having an unlimited lifetime warranty.  This lifetime warranty program was instituted by Sears when they began selling the Craftsman line in 1927.  This warranty program requires no receipt or dated proof of purchase. If the owner takes the item into a local retail store, it may be replaced or repaired free of charge.  

Amazon.com is now selling Kenmore appliances.  Tires bought on Amazon.com can now be shipped to a Sears Auto Center for installation.  

The future of Sears retail stores?  Sears Auto Center franchises will be around a little longer with the amazon.com tire deal.  That could only lead to the Sears Auto Center franchises becoming the exclusive installer for all auto parts sold by amazon.com.  Order brakes online, ship to Sears, and have them installed.  Order an oil change online.  There is money to be made there.  With amazon.com selling Kenmore, the Sears appliance division and Sears parts division will stay busy with warranty service and installation.  That could only lead to Sears appliance and parts servicing all Amazon.com customers for every brand sold online.  

Maybe Sears could clear out their old inventory by offering "buy one get one" specials, tied to what they actually do sell and make money on.  Buy tires from amazon.com, installed at Sears Auto Center, get a free tank top for your girlfriend.

10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

All the business periodicals have speculated on the survival of Sears.  Truth is, nobody really knows what the future will hold.  Everyone is just guessing.  

I don't think there's any 'speculation' left  -  You can stick a fork in them . . . . they're DONE

The largest store in Chicago (where they began) has closed.  The HUGE store at one end of our local mall has been completely torn down and they are building a big movie theater in it's place.  There won't be a single store still open by 2020.  I was gonna say "you heard it here first" but that's not true.  It's been common knowledge for quite some time now.  We're just watching the death throes as they sell off everything they once owned, piece by piece

Don

Sears was done after KMart bought them. Since then, it has been 1 bad decision after another.  KMart ran their own stores into the ground, and bought Sears, to run even more stores down.  

There are options. Management could change.  Business strategy could change.  They could get rid of everything that's not selling, and focus on what sells.  They could change the price point of their offerings, and sell only high end boutique brands.  They could partner with Amazon in a number of ways that could result in a merger.  They can downsize the stores and pay for less square footage every month.  They can franchise the tool section like they did with the auto centers.  

I think there is money to be made with a Sears tool store franchise.  Especially if you also get a tool truck to sell at shops and job sites.  You get to perform and charge back all of the warranty work, have exclusive distribution by territory, and corporate could support you with large bids, like supplying government and utilities. 

Sears outside salesmen could aggressively sell Craftsman, DieHard brands to factories and institutions.  Same way almost every police car is a Ford.  Every police car could have a DieHard battery.  Every municipal shop could have Craftsman tools.  Every government employees could wear DieHard boots.  

There are options.