Ford Transit Connect Forum

Solving the 4x8 problem

The greatest problem for the construction trades and the Transit Connect is loading a 4x8 sheet goods.

After much thought and trips to the dealer my resolution is as follows: Install quich release mechanisms to the frot passenger seat similar to those in other vehicles. One could easily remove the seat and latch it to the rear of the drivers side therefore allowing a passenger if needed. By removing the the seat sheet good are allowed to be stored on edge and secured to the side for safe transport.

What do you think? Does this seem viable?

Edited by Jalvis

The greatest problem for the construction trades and the Transit Connect is loading a 4x8 sheet goods.

After much thought and trips to the dealer my resolution is as follows: Install quich release mechanisms to the frot passenger seat similar to those in other vehicles. One could easily remove the seat and latch it to the rear of the drivers side therefore allowing a passenger if needed. By removing the the seat sheet good are allowed to be stored on edge and secured to the side for safe transport.

What do you think? Does this seem viable?

The distance from the inside of the rear door to the overhead shelf is 89 inches. A 4X8 still wil not fit inside even with the front passenger seat removed.

Has anyone tryed a side rack that could hold sheets on edge? Something like a glass carrier only simpler thats attached to the outside.

I've recently seen a TC with "outriggers". I couldn't get closer to him than three or four cars (he was really scooting, rapid acceleration from stoplight and zipping through traffic -- did he maybe have a turbo retrofit? <grin>

I did see him take a corner ahead of me and it didn't tip over, though personally I'd be very leery of sway with the stock suspension/tires/wheels.

So it seems that some TC owners have found those side-mounted carriers to be a good solution.

Cheers!

-Lep-

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Beta Don said:

I would think if you're in a construction trade, you would probably need a roof rack for several things and carrying 4 x 8 sheets would be one of them

Don

Not every tradesman works with sheetrock & plywood.  Plenty of electricians, plumbers, glaziers....have never hung a wall, patched a roof, or installed flooring.

But I would think that if you were in a trade where you do use sheetrock & plywood, you would buy an appropriate vehicle for the job, as opposed to trying to do it in a Transit Connect.  

I have a pickup truck for my hauling needs......whether it's building material, when I shoot a deer, appliances, furniture, motorcycles, camping gear.....but I can't haul people.  I have a little Honda for easy parking and better mileage, but it can't haul people.  Rather than trying to convert my truck or subcompact into a people hauler, I bought the appropriate vehicle.....my Transit Connect.  

Of course, I do understand that it's not possible for everyone to own more than one vehicle, or be able to afford the vehicle that you really need or want........makes for quite the conundrum.  There's a guy in my neighborhood who drives a tractor trailer, and brings his cab home.  Then I see him dropping off his kid at school, because it's on the way to work, with his truck cab.  Quite the sight.  But he said that he couldn't afford another car at the moment, lives in an apartment without a parking space, and his option is to use his Freightliner truck cab as a daily driver, or simply take the bus.  I guess he is in the position where he owns that truck, and works as a contractor or subcontractor hauling other people's local loads.

"Not every tradesman works with sheetrock & plywood.  Plenty of electricians, plumbers, glaziers....have never hung a wall, patched a roof, or installed flooring.

Obviously

But many (most) of those still have need of ladders, lengths of pipe, or other unusual items which are easier to carry around on a roof rack than inside their vans . . . . and then, if one day they did happen to need a sheet of plywood, well that could go on the rack as well

Don

3 hours ago, Beta Don said:

But many (most) of those still have need of ladders, lengths of pipe, or other unusual items which are easier to carry around on a roof rack than inside their vans . . . . and then, if one day they did happen to need a sheet of plywood, well that could go on the rack as well

Don

Don, 

I always get a kick out of going to Home Depot and Lowes, and seeing all those crew cab Toyotas with short beds.  6, sometimes 7, guys are squeezed in there; and the tailgate is always down with material hanging off the back.  I guess for that guy, it's more important to be able to transport his crew.  I've never owned a short bed truck.  But if I had a bunch of guys who all needed a ride to work, I would get a crew cab with a long bed.  They exist.  The City's fleet is full of crew cab, long bed pickup trucks.  Even Nissan sold them.

• test_side_400x300.jpghttp://www.forbes.com/2001/07/09/0709test.html
  • The one problem, as Nissan saw it, was that nobody was offering what people really wanted: a four-door pickup that also had a large enough bed to actually be useful for hauling building supplies and other big objects.

• 1 month later...

I wish the TC was long enough for 4x8 sheets of plywood.  As for pickups, I've not found anything quite suitable for that without going to a single cab full-size truck.  I did have a standard cab Ranger pickup for a few years.  It had  a 6' bed, which was okay, but the 5-speed and 4 banger made up for that in mileage.  For a very long time, I've been using a 1960 VW singlecab pickup with a 5 1/2' by 8 1/2' bed.  And with the sides folded down, the bed makes a great workbench.  VW still makes all the variations of the Transporter, but they havent' imported them into the US for over 40 years.

$_86.JPG

You can have those with the correct badge too. You hardly see a pickup truck in construction business over here because of the limited payload and size. 

fordtransitdropside.jpg

Edited by mrtn

You hardly see pick-ups anywhere except North America . . . . and here, they're used most often just to get the driver to wherever he's going  -  No passengers, no cargo and towing nothing  -  4 doors, an 8 foot bed, weighing 6,000 pounds, nearly impossible to park and only being used for basic transportation.  That's what $2 gas gets you

Don

• 1 year later...

4 x 8 sheets do fit in the LWB. Front passenger seat forward, folded down. Slide sheet in, passenger side low, drivers side high, over headrest. Prop up with stick etc. up towards roof for  adequate head room. Not that the first sheet is easy but it fits. I prop up the back end of the sheet as well but it doesn't need to be that high.