Ford Transit Connect Forum

New Here

nphinc

Found this site. Took a '10 TC XLT for a short ride tonite. I've been around long enough to know negative comments about products are the easiest things to find on the innerweb. This particular TC has about 27,500 on the clock. Being offered by a local used car lot for $18,600.00. Asked if it was an off lease & they said yes. Ran an Autocheck on the VIN & fleet use came up. Truck is remarkably clean, stinks to death because of the rubber mat in the back. Loaded with all options (I think) Sync, Nav, Ford's Tool whatever you call it. Asked for bottom line price, quoted $18k + tax. They'll let me take it to see if I can actually fit a typical load into it. Hammond organs, Leslie speaker, bench & pedals.

Just sold my '07 BMW Sportwagon & not looking for luxury. Is this thing a good deal based on your collective experiences? Feedback really appreciated. Thanks.

Based on your post, I went to Kelley Blue Book and entered my van's info and options, I got a suggested retail value of over $23,000! Wow. I don't have more than a couple of low-cost options on a 2010 XLT (DRL, Bluetooth, reverse sensors) and similar mileage. Of course, price guides are just that, guides. But it makes the $18,000 they are asking for a fully-loaded TC seem reasonable by comparison.

Fleet use could be good, as long as the fleet was actually maintained. Mine is not actually mine -- it's a fleet vehicle and belongs to the company I work for. I take advantage of the fact that I'm paying for nothing and get regular oil changes/service, and plan to have any issues taken care of promptly. So a fleet vehicle could be a good buy.

How much does a Hammond organ weigh (I noticed you put organs, plural)?

Based on your post, I went to Kelley Blue Book and entered my van's info and options, I got a suggested retail value of over $23,000! Wow. I don't have more than a couple of low-cost options on a 2010 XLT (DRL, Bluetooth, reverse sensors) and similar mileage. Of course, price guides are just that, guides. But it makes the $18,000 they are asking for a fully-loaded TC seem reasonable by comparison.

Fleet use could be good, as long as the fleet was actually maintained. Mine is not actually mine -- it's a fleet vehicle and belongs to the company I work for. I take advantage of the fact that I'm paying for nothing and get regular oil changes/service, and plan to have any issues taken care of promptly. So a fleet vehicle could be a good buy.

How much does a Hammond organ weigh (I noticed you put organs, plural)?

Thanks for the reply. My cargo payload wouldn't exceed 800 lbs. I was looking into a Tommylift 650, but found a ramp system that would work. See:

http://www.inlad.com/aluminumflatmountbifoldrampmodellb203690transitconnect.aspx

Being as the TC sits relatively low, a ramp wouldn't be to bad. And I don't haul an organ & speaker every day. The TC would be replacing my wagon as my service truck. My everyday parts, tools etc wouldn't come in over 300 lbs.

The dealer bought it at auction in Ga. He went on to say he thought it was a government owned vehicle. Autocheck doesn't specify anything other than fleet use, 1 owner. I do have a line on another TC for around 16k payoff. It's an XL version w/about 24k on the clock. With the little I've read about Ford's seemingly lack of attention & support to the communications technology they employ, I don't know it the XLT would be worth it. I live on my phone & bluetooth on my Bimmer was a big deal to me. I did pair my phone up very quickly with the TC today & made a call. Could barely hear sitting at idle. It would be next to impossible to hear running down the interstate.

I appreciate the feedback.

You are right about the Bluetooth. Things on my end improved when I put in some Alpine speakers, I can hear better. But the other end still can't hear me, I end up having to talk loud/almost yell and that makes phone calls pretty frustrating. I'm not sure if an aftermarket stereo with built-in Bluetooth would be better, or worse. The location of the Ford microphone puts it away from the direction of your voice, and right by the window, so driving with the window open and talking is nearly impossible.

Another thing about the Ford stereo (and maybe this is something I could turn off, I've never looked) is that the volume keeps changing itself. Make a call, go "hmm this is way too quiet" and turn up the volume, end call. Go to make another call, and find "what the...?" the volume went way back down again. I thought it had something to do with the auto volume feature, but I can make two phone calls back-to-back and the volume automatically goes down when ending the first call.

'

Nice ramp you found, that would be great for loading an organ. It takes up some space at the back when folded in but I presume it still leaves you enough room for the equipment.

You are right about the Bluetooth. Things on my end improved when I put in some Alpine speakers, I can hear better. But the other end still can't hear me, I end up having to talk loud/almost yell and that makes phone calls pretty frustrating. I'm not sure if an aftermarket stereo with built-in Bluetooth would be better, or worse. The location of the Ford microphone puts it away from the direction of your voice, and right by the window, so driving with the window open and talking is nearly impossible.

Another thing about the Ford stereo (and maybe this is something I could turn off, I've never looked) is that the volume keeps changing itself. Make a call, go "hmm this is way too quiet" and turn up the volume, end call. Go to make another call, and find "what the...?" the volume went way back down again. I thought it had something to do with the auto volume feature, but I can make two phone calls back-to-back and the volume automatically goes down when ending the first call.

'

Nice ramp you found, that would be great for loading an organ. It takes up some space at the back when folded in but I presume it still leaves you enough room for the equipment.

Yeah, ramp might be doable. Dealer is going to let me bring TC to shop today to actually load a typical rental gig. I also just happen to have a rental at a studio at 8AM tomorrow. They'll be setting up today, so I might do the run in the TC. I'm more than a little concerned that the Hammond won't fit with the ramp installed. Some careful measuring will be done. Thanks azdamay. I kind of feel like the lone ranger. Not too much chatter about this particular vehichle. I just want to put my hard earned $ to work without having to get back into an E series.

A test drive with your usual equipment in the back ought to help you decide whether or not this is the right choice. My company switched me from a 2006 Grand Caravan C/V to the Transit Connect. In many ways I find it an upgrade, in others, a downgrade. It has more usable cargo space, a (relatively) flat cargo floor, swing-open doors instead of a hatch, and more modern accommodations. But it needs more power, more forward gears, and I wish mine had traction control because I've needed it. Got stuck on an uphill dirt road recently, I really could have used something other than an open-differential FWD on that road. :banghead:

Most folks on here seem satisfied with the vehicle as-is, I guess it depends on how easy you are to please. I'm always wanting more.

A test drive with your usual equipment in the back ought to help you decide whether or not this is the right choice. My company switched me from a 2006 Grand Caravan C/V to the Transit Connect. In many ways I find it an upgrade, in others, a downgrade. It has more usable cargo space, a (relatively) flat cargo floor, swing-open doors instead of a hatch, and more modern accommodations. But it needs more power, more forward gears, and I wish mine had traction control because I've needed it. Got stuck on an uphill dirt road recently, I really could have used something other than an open-differential FWD on that road. :banghead:

Most folks on here seem satisfied with the vehicle as-is, I guess it depends on how easy you are to please. I'm always wanting more.

Dealer allowed me take TC to my shop today to actually load in. See attached pic showing truck loaded. The problem is there is no room for the ramp system I showed you. I need to be able to load/unload solo. I'm not 18 yrs. old any more. This stuff is heavy. So unless I can come up with a ramp/lift solution that isn't jury-rigged, the TC isn't going to work. I had one of my kids help me load. We tried different configs but loading area is only 4x6. Wheel wells are somewhat of an issue, but I can deal with that. Perhaps I can find a bumper attached ramp that can swing up against rear doors, or, something that can attach via a trailer receiver of some sort. There is no room in the TC to stow the ramp after it's loaded. Too bad. This truck is loaded. Found the keyboard for the Work Solutions too. Unfortunately, I'm a Mac guy. Anyway, we did the delivery & it performed much better than I expected. All in all, I put 60 miles on the interstate, scooted around town doing the delivery & got a real world feel for how it performs. If I can come up with a solution to loading/unloading I'll buy it.

post-1861-0-11049800-1313965518_thumb.jp

Edited by nphinc

I'm surprised no one else has responded to this topic... this forum is a bit dead lately. At any rate, hope you find a solution that works for you, or a vehicle that works for you.

I was thinking wheelchair-accessible modified Transit Connect, but you'd be left with the same problem, not enough cargo space (and an uneven floor). Plus of course the added cost.

http://www.wheelchair-accessible-vans.com/details/photos.php?id=025850

Welcome to a fellow Hammonista.

I've never tried an organ in my Connect but I did once haul my B-3, 122, pedal board and bench in a Dodge Caravan. At least the Transit has enough headroom so you can carry in without doubling over too much.

Welcome to a fellow Hammonista.

I've never tried an organ in my Connect but I did once haul my B-3, 122, pedal board and bench in a Dodge Caravan. At least the Transit has enough headroom so you can carry in without doubling over too much.

Hi Willie,

My Ford E350 bit the dust a few months ago. The hardest thing to deal with if I go the TC route will be loading/unloading rentals by myself unless I can come up with a viable ramp system. My big truck had a Tommylift on it. You can safely & fairly easily load your rig in your TC. I also tried to fit the B3 in sideways behind front seats. the ROK's take up just a few inches too much room to slide the doors closed. If I buy, the stinky rubber mat will go immediately & I'll replace with a sheet of masonite. Easily disposable when it wears out but easy to slide a Leslie. I'll add a few pieces of E-Track.

I'd suggest next time you need service on your rig to toss it in the TC & drive to Nashville! Thanks for saying hi. Got to go pick up a rental in a few minutes using my trusty old '94 toyota pick up & uhaul. I look like Jed Clampett...

BTW, I found a '10 TC w/about 24k on the clock. Guy wants $16k for payoff. Great deal, but no cruise (deal breaker. I'm on the road a lot.) Also, no 255 rear doors. Down side is I have no need for the gingerbread on the TC I'm considering locally.

I wouldn't even want to think about loading a Hammond by myself. I once did load just an M-3 in my old minivan without help and darn ruined myself. I used to help a local tech on deliveries and we once delivered an X-77, up three flights of narrow stairs, while double parked on Broadway in NYC!! Yikes, a nightmare.

Actually my Bee does need several minor repairs at the moment. Don't they always? By the way, I wasn't aware you Nashville cats liked soul organ!

More of a Memphis thing, isn't it?

I wouldn't even want to think about loading a Hammond by myself. I once did load just an M-3 in my old minivan without help and darn ruined myself. I used to help a local tech on deliveries and we once delivered an X-77, up three flights of narrow stairs, while double parked on Broadway in NYC!! Yikes, a nightmare.

Actually my Bee does need several minor repairs at the moment. Don't they always? By the way, I wasn't aware you Nashville cats liked soul organ!

More of a Memphis thing, isn't it?

I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio. Been here since '85. The musical diversity here is Nashville's greatest asset. Country music is the face of Nashville & the butt of a lot of jokes. I used to make them, too. Funny, I've got a ton of Country touring acts, session players & studios. The session cats are seriously world class musicians. There's a lot of everything here.

I wouldn't even look at an X-66/77/H1xx. My typical console moves are one man moves with the right equipment. I did do a 10,00 Maniacs show last night. Needed 4 guys to get it up on stage...

So you did get a Transit Connect, after all? Which one did you end up purchasing?

Hi az,

Yes. I fell in lockstep with the billions of satisfied TC owners:) I bought the XLT here in Nashville. No 255 doors & cruise was not an option. Now I've got options I don't want! ROFL!

. Now I've got options I don't want! ROFL!

Ain't it always that way!! The last car I bought with a genuine, pick and choose style, options list was in 1973. Now you must buy the heated cup holders to get the overdrive, but that only comes without the spare tire. Makes no sense what-so-ever.

Anyhow, I'm glad you are happy with your choice. Let me know when you figure out how to put Leslie spin on the radio speakers.

Ain't it always that way!! The last car I bought with a genuine, pick and choose style, options list was in 1973. Now you must buy the heated cup holders to get the overdrive, but that only comes without the spare tire. Makes no sense what-so-ever.

Anyhow, I'm glad you are happy with your choice. Let me know when you figure out how to put Leslie spin on the radio speakers.

I stuck a NEO Ventilator on it! ROFL!

• 1 month later...

Hi az,

Yes. I fell in lockstep with the billions of satisfied TC owners:) I bought the XLT here in Nashville. No 255 doors & cruise was not an option. Now I've got options I don't want! ROFL!

What did you end up getting to assist your loading and unloading?

I am going down the same path - I want to get a TC to haul a B3, Leslie, etc, figure it will all fit, but I need a ramp or lift to help with the loading. I was looking at the same ramp options you were but not sure if it would fit... Didd you get a ramp or lift gate? Which one fits in the TC and works well with a B3, Leslie, and pedals?