Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 Transmission Fluid Change to Synthetic

doitdub

After owning my 2014 long wheel base for the last 6 months, I've had some occasional hard shifting in the auto tranny, especially on these hills in N. Georgia and just wasn't as smooth as it should be and seemed to slip at times. Not knowing the last time the trans fluid was touched, finally decided to do a changeover this weekend to synthetic. I bought 16 qts of Castrol Transmax Multi Vehicle, thankfully Advance Auto had a deal going and also go the pump tube you see in the pic that was a huge time saver rather than trying to pour all that fluid in a funnel.

What I did was put the  front up on jacks, remove under splash guard (star bolts), run to operating temp about 10 min, shut off engine, drain about 4 qts from the plug at the bottom, undo fill cap located under the radiator hose/air filter box, once done draining replace drain bolt, stick fill tube in there and pump away 4 qts in, replace fill cap, start engine and leave run for 10 min, repeat process 4 times. To make sure you're full, start the engine and let run to operating temp, remove site bolt on side of trans near axle and leave open, start filling the top fill hole you've been using until fluid starts running out of the side hole. Be sure to use rtv high temp silicone on the bottom drain bolt and side site bolt when tightening up.

My fluid didn't smell burned but looked more like engine oil than the red trans fluid it should have. Driving much quieter and shifting smoother than before and first adventure was a success. :)

20180601_170945.jpg

20180603_133630.jpg