Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fuel filler security

Had my "old" 2013 smog tested this month, they had me unlock it's gas tank door to say they saw the cap. 

What was news to me, since I had it garaged for the winter, battery disconnected, even though I drove it 200+ miles over two days before testing it had not yet stored enough data so I was locked out of their system for 9 days and had to bring it back again.

With "screw on" fuel caps ... you are correct, Fifty150.  All current models of street legal cars have pressurized fuel systems.  This is to reduce the amount of evaporative emissions.  The pressure build up has nothing to do with engine performance (as with most E.P.A. regulations)  The monitoring systems for this pressure build up are to ensure the emissions reduction  hasn't been compromised with modifications or age.

With capless systems like our Connects ... it's the "flappers" in the throat of the fuel tube that retain the pressure.  The door on the side of the vehicle is merely a decorative feature.

Edited by Mike Chell

Mike Chell

Here in California, we have the California Air Resources Board, which is even stricter than EPA federal guidelines.  Ever see CARB EO# on performance parts? Even cold air intake and exhaust require an Executive Order Number.  Notice how some parts are advertised as "California Legal"?  Even my handheld SCT programmer is illegal.  Highway Patrol officer jokingly told me about how they confiscate them, along with the car, from street racers, but never had to take one away from anyone trying to get more torque in a pickup truck.