Ford Transit Connect Forum

Tie Down ?

That looks like the tow or recovery hook.

My Gen 2 didn't come with one so I bought it from Ford parts. Your Gen 1 may be different.

See the two threads linked below for more info:

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/3188-towing-the-transit-connect/?tab=comments#comment-10317

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/5785-recoverytow-hook/?tab=comments#comment-17215

post-4138-0-76098600-1431225328_thumb.jpg

Yup, tow recovery loop. Didn't come standard after 2013. Has a left hand square edge thread so you must buy a Ford one for the 2014 and after. Cost about $30 USD. Don't lose it! It screws into the bumper after you remove the 1" round plug, easy to see in the face of the front and rear bumper. Will not work with the 2014+ rear bumper with factory tow hitch receiver since that is inset up into the bumper.

Edited by Boomerweps
Cost

48 minutes ago, sKiZo said:

Begs the question ... why a tow hook? Nothing else for a wrecker to hook onto?

There are lots of improper places on the running gear a wrecker driver can hook onto, and they often do . . . . and they frequently do more damage to the vehicle getting it out of the ditch than the driver did getting it in.  Something to hook onto designed just for the purpose sounds like a no-brainer to me . . . . and at only $30, it's dirt cheap

Don

If there is provision for a tow hook you can be sure that you can do some serious damage to the car if you hook on to it incorrectly.  It makes it much saver for the wrecker to make the tow out of the ditch much less painful. I have seen lots of damaged cars that a friend helped pull out of the ditch.

• 3 weeks later...

"Funny" when I popped off my 2013 front bumper plug (driver side) only metal under it, but the other, same plug there is the thread.  So I had a 50-50 chance and lost.  In the end I decided it is not good to tie to for a canoe.  I have it secure, but for the front point went through the window around the top of the door-ceiling handles

Canoe.jpg

tow_hook.jpg

Canoe_strap.jpg

• 2 months later...

You've probably gotten an answer to your question by now....but, that's the recovery tow hook. Usually stored back with the jack. There should be a small section of front and rear bumper (2 or 3 inches in area) that is removable and the hook will screw in usually counter clockwise. It's used to get you out of a ditch or to line up the car to pull you on a wrecker. Don't loose it, they aren't cheap.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2018 at 2:44 PM, sKiZo said:

Begs the question ... why a tow hook? Nothing else for a wrecker to hook onto? I can just see some Winnebago hauling a TC down the road with a snap rope using that pad eye  ... <G>

It's might be for tying the car down to the cargo ship that brought it over. 

Edited by MLB