Ford Transit Connect Forum

New to me 2012 Transit Connect

Mike Walton

I purchased my van about a month ago to more easily transport my amps, pa, and assorted music gear to gigs. I play gospel, country, 60's rock and roll at no charge at nursing homes in the Kansas City area.

Any other musicians out there?

I ordered a new '18 wagon 3 months ago - tired of going out to meet with friends & we decide "Let's go catch a film..." followed by "I can give one of you a ride in the pickup - the rest of you can catch a bus..."

Tired of my ukulele club doing a road trip & always having to ride as passenger in the carpool group...

If you're expecting the TC to be a truck or to be a full minivan, you'll be disappointed. If you realise that it's a Focus with a real big trunk, you're golden.

GK

Thanks for the reply. The truck duties around here are handled by my 4x4 Ranger, my wife's ride is a '14 Focus which gets better gas mileage than my Harley.

Most of the used TCs around here were cargo, only seating for two. I found an excellent one with seating for passengers when needed, yet folded leaves plenty of room for my gear.

Just got a 2011 a couple months back ... lost a leg recently in a motorcycle accident and just can't drive my trusty old stick shift  Ranger any more ... really love them lil toy trucks, but ya does what ya gotta does I guess.

Surprising how easy it is to get in and out though, and the TC is a real pleasure to drive. That four banger and four speed has some decent pep and pickup and has yet to disappoint. 

Great for putting around town, and plan is to make some  mods to accommodate  solo overnight camping. Been playing with Photoshop, and so far so good I think ...

transit-mods-v11.jpg

It looks like it will be a good setup for you with the planned modifications. I think my wife wants to head out in the Ozarks for some overnight camping in ours in the future.

So sorry to hear about your tragic accident and loss of leg.

Keep me posted on how the project works out.

19 hours ago, Mike Walton said:

I purchased my van about a month ago to more easily transport my amps, pa, and assorted music gear to gigs. I play gospel, country, 60's rock and roll at no charge at nursing homes in the Kansas City area.

Any other musicians out there?

@Mike - welcome to the forum and congrats on your new TC. To make it official we need to see a pic of the van.

11 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Just got a 2011 a couple months back ... lost a leg recently in a motorcycle accident and just can't drive my trusty old stick shift  Ranger any more ... really love them lil toy trucks, but ya does what ya gotta does I guess.

Surprising how easy it is to get in and out though, and the TC is a real pleasure to drive. That four banger and four speed has some decent pep and pickup and has yet to disappoint. 

Great for putting around town, and plan is to make some  mods to accommodate  solo overnight camping. Been playing with Photoshop, and so far so good I think ...

transit-mods-v11.jpg

Congrats on your new TC. That's a cool pic and design. Good concept.

Sorry about your loss of a leg. You seem to have a good perspective on life and that's great to see.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with your van.

Don't see a screenshot - maybe just me?

Picture I posted up is actually the one from the dealer's lot, with my mods photoshopped in. I noticed pretty quick these are like the original Fords ... any color you want, as long as it's black white. :)

Looks like I got a good price on mine - 8K for the utility van version. They also had one with side and back windows for the same price you paid for yours, but I already had plans to install sliders for extra ventilation when camping. That and a roof fan should do the trick.

Parts are rolling in. Roof is being built as we speak, and the back and side steps are here, as well as the windows and fans. Bed frame and a bunch of other little fiddlybits  should be here shortly. New sound system is already in, and it's already got a heavy duty inverter for AC power. The guy who's gonna do the heavy work says he'll be ready to go in a couple weeks, and it shouldn't take long to get it done.

Edited by sKiZo

"Any colour you want, as long as it's white."

Cargo van is available white, silver, red, black, or school bus yellow. Most companies want white to put their logo on it, so the dealers' stock is almost entirely white. Seeing a 6-month wait to get a custom-built FTC, you can understand why companies take what's on the lot.

GK

Also, good luck on the camper. I also camp in my Mazda B3000 and I'm gonna miss the 5-speed. I know the '19 FTC could tickle many of my fancies with 6-speed & turbodiesel, but I don't want a "first edition" on the North American market. 

GK