Ford Transit Connect Forum

3 hours ago, windguy said:

@Mike Chell - another great video. Thanks for sharing.

I have great admiration for your ability to figure out how to adapt your van to your specific needs and then get the job done. Job well done!

Thank you, very much.  I'm my own worst critic, so it's nice to hear I'm doing better than I think I am.

After seeing what you did with the carpeting, you inspired me to carpet the rear wheel wells rather than seeing the painted body. I'm not mad at you for making more work for me but perhaps my wife might be cause I'm spending more time working on the van instead of doing house chores ;)

LOL  ... I've been accused of inciting others to "leave their wives" ... even if only for a day of fishing.  This might be the first time for this reason.

Have fun fishing and I will miss your mods videos. Perhaps a few of your fishing escapades will help. Enjoy!

Thanks again.  I'll be sure to put up some fishing videos in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fun fishing videos, thanks for sharing. I'm waiting for the one that shows the tail fin sticking out the back of the van where you can't close the barn doors.

The one where you declare as you're reeling it in "we're going to need a bigger van"

• 2 years later...
20 hours ago, Justin TC said:

Hey can anyone give me the exact measurement in the diagram below?

I'm building a micro camper interior for the 2014+ TC.

That measurement is going to be different for SWB and LWB. I have a LWB and I'm seeing 60" for that spot, measured along the side wall. I have a BedSlide in my van, so measuring the center is more difficult, lol.

You may need a small notch where the driver-side barn door latches at the bottom; I don't recall what the hatchback door bottom latch looks like, if that's what your van has or will have. Just something to remember to plan for, especially if you're hoping to put any slide-out drawers at the back door(s). 

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all of you for this idea. I took out the  vinyl, foam, false floor behind the seats and the supports. I put sound deadening squares on the floor (and ceiling and walls) and then plywood. I am building it out as a camper and have used it a few times. I will post pics soon.

Have fun

2019 XLT Cargo w/barndoors

Edited by rham

On 1/5/2021 at 10:40 PM, rham said:

Thanks to all of you for this idea. I took out the  vinyl, foam, false floor behind the seats and the supports. I put sound deadening squares on the floor (and ceiling and walls) and then plywood. I am building it out as a camper and have used it a few times. I will post pics soon.

Have fun

2019 XLT Cargo w/barndoors

I did the same with my '20 Cargo van, with the addition of 3M Thinsulate in all of the walls, doors and ceiling. Couch unflods into a full size bed.

004.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to thank everybody for sharing. This thread really helped me on the first step of my connect conversion. Here’s a few of my pictures of the well. Eventually they’ll be compartment hatches but I’m still working on that.

the well is max hieght of 11” to the deck. 

9F550A7B-BDCA-4290-8F8D-1CED792EFF06.jpeg

177EC80C-C7E1-449E-9B04-03873F295EF3.jpeg

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Roam Free Campers said:

Discovering an issue with mine. 2020 cargo XLT. Nothing is bolted. All of the metal supports and panels are spot welded over the false floor. Was really

hoping to not do any cutting. Anyone with insight on these new ones?

I think it has to do with the fact that your cargo model is imported to Canada vs the US.

Someone else from CAN reported this same issue many years ago. Perhaps they are still on the forum and can offer some suggestions.

The origin of the design difference has to do with the Chicken Tax imposed on US imports of certain vehicles. The cargo model, at some point and may still be going on, not sure, is built as a cargo but modified to appear as a wagon model for import purposes only. Added 2nd row seats and seatbelts. The footwell for the 2nd row seats was required and therefore the deck supports are bolted in rather than welded, which was done after the vehicle cleared customs inspection. Seats stripped, belts removed, deck support and flooring installed, cargo mat installed. Now you have a cargo model again. Crazy but saved Ford something like a 25% import duty tax. You can search for more info on this if interested. Good luck!