Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

I need to remove the cargo light as part of my van mods.

Anyone have any tips on how to easily remove that?

I tried semi-lightly prying it out using plastic trim removal tools but no go. This was around the black bezel.

Also tried to pop out the lens as there appears to be a small tab on each side. No go either.

I'd rather remove it in one piece in case I want to reuse later so looking for help.

The cargo light opening on the driver's side shows a notch at the bottom of the cutout so I assume both sides have the same cutout.

Thanks!

P1060328.JPG

P1060329.JPG

Blank Cargo Light opening on the driver's side

P1060333.JPG

Mine didn't have that extra trim piece on it, but I have a base model. I just had to squeeze in the two sides on my lens (by hand) and it popped right out. Yours looks like the LED version whereas I had regular incandescent bulb. I'm guessing you tried putting like a putty knife or something under the bottom side where that notch is? I'd think push straight up at that spot to release the lock.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jrm223 said:

Mine didn't have that extra trim piece on it, but I have a base model. I just had to squeeze in the two sides on my lens (by hand) and it popped right out. Yours looks like the LED version whereas I had regular incandescent bulb. I'm guessing you tried putting like a putty knife or something under the bottom side where that notch is? I'd think push straight up at that spot to release the lock.

thanks jrm223.

yes, this is the LED cargo light version - paid extra for that - but can't stand it being on for close to 10 min after I open a door. Plus I want to put a side panel in that area so it's in the way. I did try using a plastic trim tool shoving it up in that area but no luck. Maybe I'm not getting high enough with the tool to catch the tab. I figured I'd ask for help before I damage it. I'm very good at destroying things.

Edited by windguy

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it looks like you need to remove the lens part first. That may allow access to the housing to remove it. It almost looks like a PCB under the lens but can't really tell. Maybe you have to take that out too. I don't think mine looks like that.

25 minutes ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I don't think mine looks like that.

Nope, mine is like jrm223 describes. Pops right out with a gentle squeeze. I want to rewire this light through a switch to disable it or to turn it and it alone on when I want it on. At least I can turn the dome light completely off.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it looks like you need to remove the lens part first. That may allow access to the housing to remove it. It almost looks like a PCB under the lens but can't really tell. Maybe you have to take that out too. I don't think mine looks like that.

Thanks OSF, you are spot on. The lens does need to come out first. I came to the same conclusion since that ridge around the body cutout would make it hard to slip something against. Appreciate the input from you guys. Gave me the confidence to pry away. Each side of the lens has a tab on it. Used a small bladed screwdriver to press it and then it finally popped after a few attempts. The black bezel was held on with numerous tabs. Put some electrical tape around the orange connector opening and put it back in the hole. I don't think I'll be using this light connection as I plan to connect new LED lights to a switch that's not door activated. I may use the cargo light in another location. We'll see.

P1060341.JPG

P1060342.JPG

P1060344.JPG

Edited by windguy

Is that a finned aluminum heatsink on the back of that thing?