Ford Transit Connect Forum

digital speedometer

When I purchased my 2014 Transit Connect, one of the options for the digital display was a speedometer.  I just took my TC in for recall service (17S09) and when they installed the software to make the new sensor work, it reprogrammed my digital display and now, rather than having a speedometer, I get 'average trip speed' (which, for me, is useless).  I want my digital speedometer back.  Anyone know how to get it back?  Thanks.

I have a cargo van that has an XLT trim level, and has a control on the left side of the steering wheel to change the display settings.

Scrolling options like: MPG, miles to empty, trip miles, MPH, and a few others I can't recall.

Is your van an XLT or XL?

Perhaps the XL doesn't have this control and that's why you're asking the question. 5acbe48b93dbe_InformationDisplayControls.thumb.jpg.026e4eb03ac6507f3b2a24535e348b20.jpg

Edited by windguy

I can scroll through the options.  I used to have an option for a speedometer.  That option isn't there anymore.  Now I can only get 'average speed' (and temperature and distance to empty, etc.)  When they did the recall service, they added programming for the new sensor.  They think that changed my display options, but that doesn't help me get my speedometer back.

Thank you, though.  :-)

It does appear that they changed your options. You will have to go back and have them correct the error. Think about other options you may want like daytime running lights, dark mode, etc. Those can be added during the same visit and you may be able to shame them into adding the options for free.

Is there a place that lists the options they can add?  The dealer said that my speedometer must not have been included in the update they installed (with the programming for the sensor) and they didn't know if they could add it back.  So if there is a list or a Ford site or someplace that lists the options, I can show that to them and make them fix it.  Thanks so much!

I have not seen a list of options the dealer can add because that is on their proprietary equipment. The program Focccus (used by Focus owners to make their own changes) shows some of what was available to Focus owners. You can download Focccus and run it without connecting it to a car to get an idea of what may be possible.  Or simply ask the service tech what is available?

I am just trying to find something to prove that they can add the option back.  Yesterday, they told me they didn't think they could fix it.  When I contacted Ford through their online chat, they suggested that I take it to another dealer to see if they said they could fix it.  (But then I have to pay that dealer to fix it, since they aren't the ones that broke it.)  But I emailed another dealer anyway through their online 'contact us' to see if they thought they could fix it.  (I haven't heard back yet, but it is still early here.)   I will download Focccus and see what I can find.  Thanks so much for your assistance.

I heard back from the other dealer.  They asked if I could drive out there so they could see if they could fix it.  They went through all the menus, etc., and could not figure out how to get the digital speedometer back.  One of the techs recommended that the person I was talking with check the Technical Service Bulletin to see if the digital speedometer was addressed in it.  It was.  Ford Motor Company sent out software to address the safety recall (for a coolant level sensor) and noted that some features (including the option of having a digital speedometer) were omitted from the software.  I am quite furious with Ford Motor Company for removing a feature I had when I purchased the vehicle AND for having their phone support and chat support recommend that I either give my current dealer more time to fix the problem or try a new dealer, when the dealers cannot fix the software provided by Ford Motor Company.  I have call and chatted with Ford Motor Company (and received a case number) to let them know how unhappy I am with the situation.  I do not know what else I can do to motivate Ford to fix their software (so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know).  But I very much appreciate this forum (especially Windguy and Don Ridley) for sharing your expertise.  Thanks.  :-)

@karma - this sounds like a nightmare for you. Would be for me too because I solely use the digital speedo instead of the analog. Better visibility for me.

I'd be lost without it so I can empathize with your troubles. Seems until you get someone at Ford that understands what is going on you're going to get the runaround. And then is Ford willing to make a software patch to correct this issue.

So I googled your recall (17S09 – Coolant Level Sensor System) since I hadn't received one myself. Link below is very detailed on how to do this recall.

Do you have the 1.6L EcoBoost Engine?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCMN-17V209-7886.pdf

CHECK OUT ATTACHMENT IV PAGES 19&20 OF 43 - Procedure E - Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Reprogramming

At the header of this doc is a contact - Michael A. Berardi, Director of Service Engineering Operations, Ford Customer Service Division.

I'd figure out a way to contact him and share your story. Shouldn't be too hard to email him.

Good luck - keep us posted!

Good work finding the source of the problem. My 2016 TC 1.6l has the digital speedo. They probably had to make special firmware to address the tsb and later integrated the changes differently in production vehicles.

Keep the pressure on. I think you will get a response.

The related over heat issue  was solved after 12/2014.  The 1.6 engine could have had a cooling system modification that made the service bulletin fix unnecessary, which would eliminate the software fix need .

In any event  Ford should figure a way to return the Speedometer feature as it is one of the more useful items.

Keep on it you will prevail.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide an update.  I have a case number with the Ford people, but no response yet.  I have attempted to contact Michael Berardi.  No response yet there, either.  But I will keep nagging.  Yes, I do have a 1.6L EcoBoost engine.  Thanks for the support.  :-) 

They reflashed my instrument cluster hoping to repair the occasional "Service beltminder" issue and I now have two trip computers instead of one. I hoped it would also get a permanent temperature display on the top row like I have seen in other machines but no. Nothing else changed.

• 3 weeks later...

Karma....I just got the same service bulletin update/repair as you. "Digital Speedometer" missing was the first thing I noticed.

for 

Please keep us posted on your results.

That was the only thing  used the display for......................... SUCKS not having it !!! 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my case number since 4/9/2018.  Have not received communication regarding it.

I sent a snail mail complaint to Ford's Customer Relation Center (P.O. Box 6248, Dearborn, MI, 48126) on 5/9/2018.  Have not received a response back yet.

I am quite disgusted with Ford regarding this.

I'm planning on calling them again.  If you haven't called yet, please call and get a case number.  The dealer told me that the more complaints they get about something, the better chance we have of getting it fixed.  Number to call is 1-800-392-3673.

I actually got a written response from Ford.  It is rather unbelievable.  The Customer Relationship Center does not have contact information for the 'internal technical department' which provides technical or service and repair assistance, so they cannot assist me.  They recommend  I work with my Service Technician.

Even though it was Ford Motor Company that provided the software that the Service Techs had to use to complete the Safety Recall, and the Service Techs cannot rewrite the software.

I am beyond mad.

Ford response.JPG

1 hour ago, Karma said:

I actually got a written response from Ford.  It is rather unbelievable.  The Customer Relationship Center does not have contact information for the 'internal technical department' which provides technical or service and repair assistance, so they cannot assist me.  They recommend  I work with my Service Technician.

Even though it was Ford Motor Company that provided the software that the Service Techs had to use to complete the Safety Recall, and the Service Techs cannot rewrite the software.

I am beyond mad.

Ford response.JPG

Sorry to hear you're getting the run-around. Contacting someone at Ford yourself seems impossible, unfortunately.

One option is to go back to your dealer and hold the service manager hostage until you get results, but that might have some repercussions.

I have another idea that won't result in incarceration. Since your 1.6L EcoBoost engine is used in other vehicles, per the recall, perhaps you can seek help that way. Assuming that others are in the same position as you when their IPC was reprogammed. The EcoBoost may not be as popular on this TC forum for that production time span, but maybe there's a Fusion forum that you can search for where others have been working this issue. Also check for forums for the Escape and Fiesta St. Something has to turn up and perhaps you can catch the eye of someone that works at Ford engineering that frequents other forum.

Per the Recall Notice:

Certain 2013-2014 Fusion, 2013-2015 Transit Connect, 2014 Escape, and 2014-2015 Fiesta ST Vehicles Equipped with a 1.6L EcoBoost Engine

2 hours ago, Karma said:

The Customer Relationship Center does not have contact information for the 'internal technical department' which provides technical or service and repair assistance, so they cannot assist me.

Just as an aside ... don't be upset by THIS bit of news.  ALL manufacturers provide a "Technical Help Line" to their registered technicians in the dealerships.  It's a "private line" to technical experts in the "factory".

There is no way this system could "keep up" if every civilian with a problem was allowed to call in.

I appreciate your comments, but I have decided on a different tack.  I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  If that doesn't work, I'll try our state's Department of Consumer Affairs or Attorney General.  I bought a vehicle with a digital speedometer.  Ford took the digital speedometer away, without my prior knowledge or agreement.  They should give it back.  I've contacted them by chat, by phone, and by letter and they've had ample opportunity to respond that they are taking my concern seriously.  Obviously, they aren't.

I'll let you know if the BBB is successful.

6 hours ago, Karma said:

I appreciate your comments, but I have decided on a different tack.  I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  If that doesn't work, I'll try our state's Department of Consumer Affairs or Attorney General.  I bought a vehicle with a digital speedometer.  Ford took the digital speedometer away, without my prior knowledge or agreement.  They should give it back.  I've contacted them by chat, by phone, and by letter and they've had ample opportunity to respond that they are taking my concern seriously.  Obviously, they aren't.

I'll let you know if the BBB is successful.

Understand. But wouldn't it also be prudent to search for a solution at the same time on other forums. I doubt anything with the BBB or other agencies are going to move very fast and might not give you the results you're looking for unless you want to try to lemon law the van back to Ford, if that qualifies.

Go back to the dealer and raise hell. Arrange a meeting with the service manager or general manager of the dealership and don't leave their office until they get on the phone and call up their district Ford reps and run this issue up the ladder.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to provide an update.  BBB was able to get a response from Ford.  I took my car back to the dealership and picked it up today.  The digital speedometer has been restored!!!

So if you had the recall done and want your digital speedometer back, it can be fixed.  :-)

• 2 months later...