Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ramps modification

Dandytc

It has been mentioned in various threads that the 2014+ TC cannot be lifted on ramps because of low clearance below the front bumper assembly.

I was considering making my own ramps with a shallower angle, but came up with this solution instead. 

This version is a little crude, made up of lumber I had on hand, but it works with my ramps, so I will assemble a more permanent version of it.

This system essentially changes the angle of the ramp by adding 2 layers of 2 X 10 under the front of the ramp (2 x 12 would be better). I suppose other brands of ramps might require some tweaking.

Of course, do all this at your own risk, on a flat and solid surface. Doing this also changes how the ramp sits when loaded, in such a way that it was not designed for, making it more tippy. 

IMG_20180408_152233.jpg

IMG_20180408_141626.jpg

IMG_20180408_142221.jpg

Mine are the original Rhino Ramps, probably 20 years old.  Molded plastic, rated at 12,000 pounds with a 17 degree angle they raise the car up 6 1/2 inches.  A little rubber pad on the underside leading edge grips the floor when the tire first contacts the ramp so it doesn't try to slide forward

They used to be cheap  -  $25 per pair or so, but of course that was in last century dollars  

http://allgaragefloors.com/5-best-car-ramps/

Don

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I still use a floor jack and jack stands.  Those ramps don't work for me when I want to take the tires off to rotate them, or work on the brakes.

That's true of course, but for an oil change (which I do far more often than brake work or rotating tires) they are much simpler, quicker and safer than a jack and jack stands.  They also came in very handy when installing the trailer hitch

Use the best tool for the job at hand

Don

My main concern with blocking up the ramps as pictured ... it puts more strain on the rear "wall" of the ramp.  The weight of the vehicle is supposed to be spread across the whole ramp.  the picture shows a higher percentage of the weight will be applied to the back.  Folding could occur, which would be rapid failure and possibly fatal.

Please be careful if you continue using this method !!!