Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

sKiZo

I'm sKiZo, and my favorite color is blue ...

Saw a 2011 Transit Connect XLT for sale, test drove it, and thought "this could be nice!" - drove it home that day.

High hopes for converting it into an overnite camper - I've seen some interesting plans and pics here and there that lead me to believe it could work for me. It's a panel van (no rear glass) and it already has a 1000 watt inverter and dual battery system installed. As is, I expect I could just jam my Aerobed in the back and do take out until I get further along in the build. Final results (hopefully) will include a convertible couch/bed, storage, and a mini kitchen with water and stove, as well as a porta potty for emergencies. Install slider windows in the rear doors and sides for ventilation, and a fan-tastic fan in the roof. The inverter is already rigged for solar, so a couple panels for keeping the batteries topped off as well. And speaking of roofs - already looking into popping the top for additional headroom.

Should be a fun project!

16 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Saw a 2011 Transit Connect XLT for sale, test drove it, and thought "this could be nice!" - drove it home that day.

High hopes for converting it into an overnite camper - I've seen some interesting plans and pics here and there that lead me to believe it could work for me. It's a panel van (no rear glass) and it already has a 1000 watt inverter and dual battery system installed. As is, I expect I could just jam my Aerobed in the back and do take out until I get further along in the build. Final results (hopefully) will include a convertible couch/bed, storage, and a mini kitchen with water and stove, as well as a porta potty for emergencies. Install slider windows in the rear doors and sides for ventilation, and a fan-tastic fan in the roof. The inverter is already rigged for solar, so a couple panels for keeping the batteries topped off as well. And speaking of roofs - already looking into popping the top for additional headroom.

Should be a fun project!

Welcome to the Transit Connect Forum!  We'd love to follow your project, so please post up some stories and photos of your journey and progress along the way!

OK - I'm done!  

transit-mods-v10.jpg

(In photoshop anyway) <G>

Exterior mods will (hopefully) include a raised roof, steps for the side doors, and some slider windows for ventilation. Solar panels and a FanTastic fan on top. Interior is still up for debate, but I got a good idea how I want that to go ...

There are plenty of top notch (pun not intended) conversions here, spend some hours browsing.

You can get sliding side windows from taxi scrapyards.