Ford Transit Connect Forum

Remote window close using key fob and other modifications using Focccus software

Other Ford owners have been able to make changes to the factory configuration of their vehicle’s computer modules. The F150 forums identified and changed dozens of options using a program called Forscan. But the configuration of the TC computer modules is different and requires a different approach. The Focus owners have been using a program called Foccus. This program has been working on Focus models up to 2016. I also found the Escape Forum guys used a more sophisticated function in Forscan to make several changes to 2017+ Escapes. Since the TC and Focus are built on the same platform, I wondered if we could use their program(s) to change setting in the TC.

After some nervous trial and error, I found the Foccus program worked to change two functions on my 2016 TC-XLT:

1. Global window closing using the key fob.

2. High beam headlights and fog lights on at the same time (called Bambi-mode so you can see Bambi at night)

Here are the details specific to my experience and links to well written tutorials on how to use Focccus and Forscan. Please read the attached forum links and tutorials for details on how to use these two programs. These modifications should work on 2014-2016 TCs  BUT I HAVE ONLY TESTED IT ON MY 2016 TC, so proceed at your on risk. I am not an expert.

Basic steps:

1. Buy a high quality OBD II adapter (approx. $75) to link to the HS and MS CAN networks. See the Forscan tutorial for recommendations and cautions.

2. Use Focccus to make the changes and load them into the Body Control Module (BCM) in your TC. YOU MUST MAKE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FACTORY CONFIGURATION in case you have any problems. You don’t need to make XML files.

3. Use Forscan to clear the numerous DTC faults that are set by the procedure.

4. Fix a residual problem/bug with a double horn honk when locking the doors.

Here are the links. Please read thoroughly:

Forscan Tutorial (OBD II specs. You will only use Forscan to clear DTCs)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

Forum post about Forscan (for reference)

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

FOCCCUS  forum topic (this is most applicable to Transit Connect)

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/20866-focccus-pc-app-built-editor-all-around-reprogrammer.html

FOCCCUS youtube (see others as needed.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d7XJ2ydV60

Now connect to your TC using Focccus. Then “read from BCM” to load the configuration into Focccus. NOW SAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION using the “save to file” button.

Change setting #18 from "fog lamp US" to "fog lamp".

Change setting #184 from  "not set or disabled" to "global open/close B-Max"

“Write to BCM” to load the changes. THIS IS THE CRITICAL STEP.

Close Focccus after you are sure the write is complete.

Open Forscan and clear all the DTCs.

Test global closing by double press and hold the lock button on the key fob.

The Bambi-mode causes some strange behavior that can be fixed. Locking the doors using the keyfob initiates a double lock (maybe lock then unlock?) and double horn honk. There appears to be a mis-set bit telling the TC that you are locking the doors remotely with the engine running. Here’s how I fixed/reset this error:

1. Sit inside and close all the doors. Remove the key from the ignition, and lock the doors from the inside using the button on the door.

2. Unlock the doors using the door button.

3. If you have the perimeter alarm, lock yourself in the car using the keyfob. Wait for the alarm to set then open the door. The countdown beep will sound. Turn it off by pressing the unlock button.

Now the doors should lock normally: one press w/o honk and two presses w/one honk.

I could not fix this problem by loading the original file back into the BCM and this caused some stressful moments. I found a Focus owner had this same issue and he identified the lock/unlock fix. My addition of triggering the alarm may not be necessary but it worked and I did not want to go back and test every possibility.

I did not try any other changes in Focccus because my TC has most of the options/functions listed. If you are daring, you can try adding other options using Focccus. But know that you are taking a chance and you need to be prepared to load the original file back into the BCM. But as I found with the double horn honk problem, there could be unexpected consequences.

Dark Car Mode

I saw the Explorer and F150 forums found a way to turn off the lights when the doors are opened (police or dark car mode). Focccus does not have this option. The Forscan or Focccus developers could reverse engineer this if there was enough interest and someone on this forum took the lead. Several people on this forum had the dealer activate this mode and having those configuration files will be the key.

Edited by Don Ridley

@Don - Great write-up. Thanks for sharing.

One issue for setting dark mode in a 2014-2015 TC is that the BCM software has to be upgraded first. 2016 and newer BCM already has the dark mode option programmed in.

Do you think there a way to do this outside going to a Ford dealer using these tools?

An independent mechanic must have the capability to get software updates for Ford vehicles so I take it it's not a Ford dealer exclusive thing.

Considering I had two different dealers try to set the dark mode option for me and first updating the BCM and Ford ETIS still doesn't show my BCM being upgraded, I have a big question mark as to why this couldn't be easily done. Perhaps they weren't writing the changes to the BCM as you explained in your procedure. One dealer even gave me printouts showing Dark mode was enabled but that may come from the program they were using and not from the actual BCM setting. Based on your procedure you don't actually edit the BCM but upload the BCM configuration to a programming tool, edit that configuration, then push that configuration back to the BCM. The BCM doesn't have its own menu driven function to make changes.

Regarding your changes made, I'd like to have the high beams on at the same time as the fog lights for full visibility. I don't like having it be one or the other. Driving on dark canyon roads I want to be able to see as much as possible. I have had deer dart out in front of me several times and other obstacles I wish I avoided. 

Side issue. I wish the passenger window for my cargo van had a one button down option like the driver side. Is that available on a wagon version or titanium?

Edited by windguy

4 hours ago, windguy said:

Side issue. I wish the passenger window for my cargo van had a one button down option like the driver side. Is that available on a wagon version or titanium?

My 15 XLT wagon has the one-touch down or up on all windows. This is something I was wishing for in my previous car.

I don't think the procedure makes changes to the actual BCM programming. It changes a file with data that is used by the BCM and PCM to activate or modify already existing programming. The BCM/PCM interaction makes changes much more complex than the F150 programming.

If a shop purchased the Ford hardware and paid the very expensive license fee, they should be able to turn on dark mode. The hacked applications like focccus and foscan don't have a way to update the BCM code. But they should be able to activate dark mode on the proper BCM version... If they want to take the time to do it.

I am more excited about Bambi mode than the global widow function. But testing it in my driveway, I could not see any improvement in brightness when the fogs are on. I have not tested it on the road yet.

I was messing around with Forscan & Focccus on my 2015 XL a few weeks back, trying to enable things like global open/close and a few other changes. None of them ended up working for me, though. I ended up loading the as-built file (original OEM code) back in for the time being. I need to get Ford to update my BCM and then I'll try again, lol.

16 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

I don't think the procedure makes changes to the actual BCM programming. It changes a file with data that is used by the BCM and PCM to activate or modify already existing programming. The BCM/PCM interaction makes changes much more complex than the F150 programming.

If a shop purchased the Ford hardware and paid the very expensive license fee, they should be able to turn on dark mode. The hacked applications like focccus and foscan don't have a way to update the BCM code. But they should be able to activate dark mode on the proper BCM version... If they want to take the time to do it.

I am more excited about Bambi mode than the global widow function. But testing it in my driveway, I could not see any improvement in brightness when the fogs are on. I have not tested it on the road yet.

Thanks Don. I would agree that the BCM isn't altered when making these setting changes. It's probably a look-up file for the BCM program to access.

It's all very interesting.

34 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

I was messing around with Forscan & Focccus on my 2015 XL a few weeks back, trying to enable things like global open/close and a few other changes. None of them ended up working for me, though. I ended up loading the as-built file (original OEM code) back in for the time being. I need to get Ford to update my BCM and then I'll try again, lol.

Since we both have a 2015 year TC, you need to be my guinea pig.

I'm curious if the Focccus program shows the dark mode feature as a settable option for the BCM?

I was thinking it wouldn't unless your BCM was updated to the newer version where dark mode was added.

Is the BCM version level displayed anywhere?

Per the SSM "If the vehicle was built on or before 11-Dec-2016, reprogram the BCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 103.05 and higher."

4 minutes ago, windguy said:

Since we both have a 2015 year TC, you need to be my guinea pig.

I'm curious if the Focccus program shows the dark mode feature as a settable option for the BCM?

I was thinking it wouldn't unless your BCM was updated to the newer version where dark mode was added.

Is the BCM version level displayed anywhere?

Per the SSM "If the vehicle was built on or before 11-Dec-2016, reprogram the BCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 103.05 and higher."

I recall seeing a setting for "Approach lights", which I would assume is when you unlock the van and those perimeter lights turn on with the remote - I disabled them, and they still came on :( But now that setting is back to default since I reversed all my changes. I didn't see anything about dark mode and I assumed that I wouldn't since I don't have the updated BCM code. 

49 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

I recall seeing a setting for "Approach lights", which I would assume is when you unlock the van and those perimeter lights turn on with the remote - I disabled them, and they still came on :( But now that setting is back to default since I reversed all my changes. I didn't see anything about dark mode and I assumed that I wouldn't since I don't have the updated BCM code. 

The SMM uses the term "Approach Light" per below

(STEP 1) If the vehicle was built on or before 11-Dec-2016, reprogram the BCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 103.05 and higher. 

(STEP 2) For all vehicles, access the BCM Configuration Parameters. Select Module Programming, Programmable Parameters, Personality, Approach Light. Choose Disabled and follow the screen prompts to completion.

The print out the dealer gave me for what my van BCM shows:  Approach Light - (BdyCM) = Disabled

I wish I better understood how this all works. I just have bits and pieces of info. It would be cool to be able to use the Ford IDS Software at a dealer and see what is going on. Interesting link below for Ford Diagnostic Software

https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/VDIRS/wds/vcm_retail_renewal_Latest.asp

Edited by windguy

23 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

Your TC must have the one touch window function on every window for the global open or close to work. I think global open is factory programmed on properly equipped vehicles

Well, that sucks! I do have power windows, but only the driver is one-touch. Mine is a window-less cargo van, so no rear windows to worry about.

If anyone wants to add daytime running lights (DRL), can you try Option #16 in Focccus:

DMqYv7r.jpg

16 - DRL
00 - not configured
01 - Standard dipped light
02 - Always dipped light except in Pos p
05 - RH symmetry
03 - unknown

Please test option 2. I want the DRLs to turn off when the gear is in PARK. My TC came with DRLs that are on all the time. I don't want to risk losing the option (because it is unrecognized (03) and I can't be sure it will reload properly if I change it), but if you are adding DRL you don't have that worry. Some Focus owners have been unsuccessful enabling the DRL except in PARK function.

I added DRL's in the Fog lights  -  I didn't really want them in the headlights anyway

There are several cars which use nearly identical fog light housings as the Gen 2 TC's, but have DRL bulbs in them.  I had a spare one from one of my 2012 Mitsubishi iMiEV's and I found that some Subaru models used the same housing (as well as a few Fords) so I ordered an extra housing on eBay and installed them  -  Factory fit using the same mounting screws as the OEM housings.  I used an LED in the DRL position and wired them to an under hood fuse which is hot anytime the engine is on.  They're down low, very bright, I still have my fog lights and am quite happy with the result

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I tested Focccus and Forscan and could not find a setting that would allow the factory DRLs to be turned off. The good news is Forscan has a setting that should allow you to turn on DRL if they were not factory-set.

BdyCM (central config)

Engineering Mode 1

Daylight Running: 03 Standard Dipped

Headlight Type: 02 Halogen with adjuster

DRL.jpg

Headlight.jpg

Thanks for the info on the DRLs.  

A comment on the global window opening.  Have this feature on my Volt and every once and a while I'll accidentally press the key fob while in my pocket by sitting on it or leaning on something and all the windows will roll down and it will unlock.  Not a problem in the garage but a pain when it's outside.  Happened in the rain one time.  For now I just don't keep the key fob in my pocket.

...just to clarify. I want DRLs but I want to have the ability to turn them off using the headlight switch or other method. The factory DRLs are always on when the engine is running. Ford advertises the ability to turn off DRLs but this option is not available to US or Canada apparently. For now I will live with constant DRL. Changing the DRL setting in Forscan will turn them off completely.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:48 AM, Don Ridley said:

I tested Focccus and Forscan and could not find a setting that would allow the factory DRLs to be turned off. The good news is Forscan has a setting that should allow you to turn on DRL if they were not factory-set.

Good post - thanks

I had added the DRL option to my special order - cost $38.00

I like having them on all the time - added safety

5 hours ago, windguy said:

......I like having them on all the time - added safety

I often wonder how effective some of these safety extras, like DRL or center mount brake lights, are in the long run. I know they draw extra attention when they first come out since drivers aren't used to seeing them. But once they start appearing on a significant portion of the cars on the road, they lose their novelty. And I suspect that once the novelty wears off, most drivers likely become road blind to them and most of the safety benefit probably disapppears. The benefit of always on lights during dusk or light fog would make you more visible to other drivers if you haven't thought to turn on your headlights. But for that purpose, I personally prefer the Auto Headlight sensors. I assume the expert research and programming into when they are and are not needed is better than my decision making. And it's both convenient to use and easy to over ride the sensors to turn the lights both on and off if you decide to. The build option for DRL is not the only time you should be able to choose, they should also make it possible to relatively easily turn the option on or off after purchase.

4 hours ago, DonShockley said:

I often wonder how effective some of these safety extras, like DRL or center mount brake lights, are in the long run. I know they draw extra attention when they first come out since drivers aren't used to seeing them. But once they start appearing on a significant portion of the cars on the road, they lose their novelty. And I suspect that once the novelty wears off, most drivers likely become road blind to them and most of the safety benefit probably disapppears. The benefit of always on lights during dusk or light fog would make you more visible to other drivers if you haven't thought to turn on your headlights. But for that purpose, I personally prefer the Auto Headlight sensors. I assume the expert research and programming into when they are and are not needed is better than my decision making. And it's both convenient to use and easy to over ride the sensors to turn the lights both on and off if you decide to. The build option for DRL is not the only time you should be able to choose, they should also make it possible to relatively easily turn the option on or off after purchase.

I'm in agreement but I'd say driving conditions dictate when DRL's are useful to have. You can be under the shade of large trees and your vehicle is less visible, especially if the color blends into the background more easily. Drivers are so distracted these days every bit helps. The TC has really nice ext lighting, especially in the back. Similar to what I had with my older Volvo 850 wagon with tail lights high up on the side. I like that design. In comparison, if you check out the rear lights on the NV200 they are wimpy.

We've had DRL in Canada for 30 years & it's been in Sweden almost 50... huge reduction in collisions almost instantly on introduction, and no sign of fade-out with saturation.

Transport Canada has finally recognised a problem that came bout 10 years ago - the digital dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, DRL on, and not a rear marker light to be seen because the nut on the steering wheel never pulled on the switch to put a new wick in the taillamps.

2020 in Canada, DRL includes ALL running lights.

The fear bikers had - that bikes will become invisible again when ALL vehicles have lights on - did not materialise. Yes, bike accident over car accident rose 2%, but overall accident rate is down 10%, still an 8% benefit to the bikes.