Ford Transit Connect Forum

Should I change transmission fluid

mgroeger

I have a 2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT that came with a flower shop we bought last December. It has an automatic transmission, 2.0 gasoline engine and 112,000 miles on the car.

The transmission fluid has never been changed. I called the dealer where it was purchased and he looked it up by VIN number and said I have the 150k miles transmission fluid in my model. I know a good deal about cars and personally I change my trans fluid every 60k miles, so I know it's a crap shoot to change this fluid at this mileage.

The fluid is still red, not gritty and smells fine. Any advice on changing this fluid? I would do it myself with Ford fluid by taking off the trans line and letting the transmission pump out old fluid and then add new fluid in. That way there is no pressure on the system... i.e. not doing a power flush.

I change every fluid in any used vehicle I buy shortly after the purchase, assuming the vehicle has been cared for like most people care for their cars, which is to say, not at all

I waited to change the trans fluid in my new to me 2014 until it hit 25,000 miles and I'll be doing it every 25,000 from now on.  I would venture to guess that for RWD cars with a rear differential, 90% of them have never had the gear oil changed    -    Probably a safe guess

TC transmissions don't have a very good reputation for making it to 100K without a trans fluid flush, let along 150K.  If I had just bought an older one, getting that done would be my first priority, but I'm not sure I would use your proposed method  -  I think you would run the pump dry doing that and it may cause you problems.  When I changed mine to full synthetic, I used about 18 quarts, draining 4 and refilling 4 several times.  Was still cheaper than taking it to Ford for their flushing procedure

Don

Edited by Beta Don

Thanks Don. The method I showed is simple and I've done it before with great success on another car. I've also used your method and it works well too. It will get about 80% to 90% changed over with the drain and fill version which is probably a good thing to leave a little behind to act almost as a friction modifier. The dealer wants $250 so I'll do this on my own. Do you know how many quarts the trans holds? Personally I will stick with the Ford brand that is in it, I've learned my lesson the hard way on that but that's a whole other conversation :)

I was at the dealer today to schedule my third service (46Mm in) and asked when would they do the transmission fluid change. 

“It’s a lifetime fluid, changing it might make it worse.”

You dummy.

I have used the cooler line method lots of times on lots of cars, if  you run 3 qts out at a time the pump fill not run dry.  The 2014 TC has a drain plug and the cooler line is very hard to access.  The drain fill , drain fill method is better suited to the Gen 2.  The total capacity is under 9 qts,A 12 qt case will do the job.

Lifetime fluid could mean almost anything.  Ford is only worried about the TC making 60000mi or 100000k, after that all bets are off.

mrtn, I need the name of the dealership.  I'm retired but it would be nice to have a job where I got paid for not thinking :-)

I would get the fluid changed.  Years ago had a Safari van and the transmission started shifting less than perfectly.  Took it to the local Express Oil change and the did the two bucket method which was really cool to watch.  Got rid of the van with 200,000 miles on it and the transmission was still great.  Had an early Ford Taurus that had the transmission rebuilt by Ford at 10,000 miles, it self destructed at 50,000 miles on vacation was taken to the cleaners by AAMCO - should have had local dealer do it.  The original problem was hard downsifts when almost stopped.  Local AAMCO fixed that problem when wee took it in to have it checked after the vacation rebuild - rear motor/transmission mount.  It is so refreshing when you run into someone who knows how diagnose and fix things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Owners' manual for the '18 has recommended interval for auto transmission oil change at 240000 km - I don't even leave a manual trans oil that long! "Heavy service" interval is 96000 km - much more reasonable.

GK

The Trans fluid in this vehicle seems to be  worked hard.  I have changed mine twice at 25000 mi intervals, each time the fluid had a noticeable color change.  It is your call .  My manual says that transmissions do not use fluid and if you experience  odd shifts to take it to the Dealer.  If you have a vehicle long enough they all use fluid .  No vehicle had died from using fluid , they all die from running out of fluid.

1 hour ago, G B L said:

The Trans fluid in this vehicle seems to be  worked hard.  I have changed mine twice at 25000 mi intervals, each time the fluid had a noticeable color change.

Mercon LV changes color with the first drive, it’s the feature of it.

Well that very good to know.  Is there a reason given for the color change? .  The fluid with the Lv spec is also rated for the Allison 1000 Transmission . 

It does not change color in that transmission . 

I have used  the Motorcraft  MerconLV and The Valvoline  Max Life  in the TC,  They both change colors.  I have also used the Valvoline Max Life in an Allison 1000 transmission.  It has not changed color in the Allison.

This trans still works the fluid hard so I will not feel  bad about changing the fluid.

• 3 months later...
On 5/19/2018 at 7:02 PM, G B L said:

The fluid with the Lv spec is also rated for the Allison 1000 Transmission . 

It does not change color in that transmission . 

I have used  the Motorcraft  MerconLV and The Valvoline  Max Life  in the TC,  They both change colors.  I have also used the Valvoline Max Life in an Allison 1000 transmission.  It has not changed color in the Allison.

This trans still works the fluid hard so I will not feel  bad about changing the fluid.

If the same fluid doesn't change color in the Allison transmission, but it does in our transmission, that tells me our transmission is doing something not so healthy to the fluid, which would make me want to change it even more often

I'm pretty happy using 25K for changes  -  My fluid didn't look too bad when I did my first change.  I just cannot imagine going 100K without changing transmission fluid in ANY auto trans, especially one with a history of failure like ours.  I wish our trans was easier to service.  My wife had a little Mitsubishi van and it had a standard drain plug in the trans, just like the one in the engine.  I changed engine oil every 3K and every other oil change I drained the trans and refilled.  The trans held 7 quarts total, but only 3 quarts drained when you pulled the plug, so I was effectively getting a full change every 12 to 15K

It's not that ours is hard to drain  -  It isn't.  But it would be real nice if they had given us an easy to access place to pour in new fluid  . . . . AND a dipstick to check the level with.  Methinks they were just planning on selling lots of rebuilt transmissions!!

Don

It is not the easiest task I will admit.  I do the setup with the engine cold .  The flow through the funnel  is not bad for me .  The hardest part for me is to replace the vent cap once the job is done.  Now that I have done the job 3 times I know the drill well.  This time I also did an engine oil change at the same time.  Two jobs done for the same lift !!

On 9/3/2018 at 10:50 AM, G B L said:

Just did the trans fluid for the third time 73802 mi.   I checked out the post on the color change.

Here is the same tech  and a new post on service intervals.  It seem that he has modified his opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pYDjVYT51Jg?rel=0&autoplay=1.

Interesting video - thanks for sharing the link

I think you're skilled enough to be making our own maintenance and repair tip videos. Waiting  :lurk: