Ford Transit Connect Forum

New TC Owner - Hi Everyone

JT3

After a month of learning and searching 500 miles from my house for the TC Wagon I wanted, I found out that it couldn't hold 4x8 sheets flat inside. I don't know why I assumed it could. I decided to get the Ram Promaster City instead. Spent a couple of weeks looking but couldn't find what I wanted.

Then my Subaru died. I panicked and was ready to buy any car just to get me to work and the kids (4&6 years) to school.  I happened to find a newly listed 2014 XLT LBW with only 25k miles on it way under my budget. I brought it home yesterday and I love it!

I am looking forward to finding out what you all have done to improve these vehicles.

Cheers

20180331_165153.jpg

Nice looking van!  -  It's what you really wanted . . . . you know it is!  :clapping:

I *think* the cargo versions without all the interior trim that comes in the wagons can handle 4 x 8 sheets laying flat . . . . someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure

Destiny reared it's beautiful head and save you from a fate worse than death!  -  Driving a MoPar!!  :drop:

Don

I rented a cargo van before signing on the dotted line for my wagon. 48-1/2 x 83, not the 97 needed for a full sheet of ply.

More than enough acreage in there to sleep, though - that's my priority.

GK

Welcome, great you found one you wanted when you needed it.  My TC is the first vehicle in a while I've not bought in panic mode.  I see you have the roof racks which should be able to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood.  I'm currently rebuilding an old trailer to haul my motorcycle and scooters but will also haul stuff like plywood and lumber for house projects.  I take my twin 4 YO grandchildren to school several times a week and it is very nice.  Their seats are higher than a car but not as high as a my daughter's Honda van.  Funny thing is they prefer my Volt as they like to what the energy monitor display on the center console and count the number of bars the battery has used.  I got the WeatherTech mat for the back which goes over all the seats when they are folded flat.  Have haunted a lot of stuff including my Honda Metropolitan scooter.  The scooter took a little thinking to get it right.  For stuff like ovens dishwashers I use a MDF board over the rubber mat to spread the load a bit.  Sometimes I'll leave the mat in and just have the rear seats folded.  Not a perfect solution but it works.  It drives very nicely and is stable when cornering, feels sporty next to the Honda van or the Hyundai Tucson rental I had last week.  Love the size, lots of space inside but small on the outside.  

If your plywood transport needs are occasional and   TC has Barn doors , you can fold the seats flat and Put a 1X8 Vertically along one of the Wheel wells and The plywood will ride nicely there. 

Welcome aboard Looks like you found a nice one.

Thanks all!

I have been loving every minute of the drive so far except when trying to deal with Sync.  Haven't figured out how to get the Pandora song info up on the screen yet.  Going to update the firmware before I go hunting down solutions. 

Mine has the lift gate rear door.  I lucked out on that one...I prefer to have a dry place to stand when getting in the trunk.

Handling is great, it feels so light.  Haven't gotten on it yet to see what it really has.  Seems kinda anemic, but most cars do after a turbo Subaru! Right now I'm just driving in granny mode because I need it to last.  I'm scheduling my mid-life crisis STI purchase in about 5 years.

I'm working on a design for a sheet and pipe rack for materials transport that I can slide in before I go shopping. Kind of a "bed extender" type thing to tie in.

The most important thing: MY KIDS LOVE IT! They always want to go for a ride.  I showed them all the "secret compartments" (overhead bins and arm rest storage) and they love stashing their toys. Kids these days...

Ah seat belts! I cracked the Windshield of a 1951 Ford Sedan standing on the front seat.  I Remember my dad out in the Driveway with a wood drill putting in seat belts in the 1955 Buick Special. I guess he was a good dad!!

I had a child restraint when I was a kid - I was wearing a harness that clipped in to a vertical seat-belt on dad's Studebaker. I could stand, sit, or lie down as I wished. When standing, I was back against the seat-back, which means that if I got tired, I wasn't whining 3" from dad's ear...

BTW, dad still has a file folder with the advertising flyers for every car in the family back to that 1960 Lark - a feat some of us have given him a hard time to maintain, given my brother's penchant for 30-year-old iron... Must get the dealer to give me some flyers for the '18 FTC.

GK

Have your kids discovered the secret compartment on the floor under the rear of the front passengers seat?  Took me a couple of months before I knew it was there!  Found an online version of the owners manual which is handy for quick learning about features.  Mine came with the 2017 manual, guess the dealer lost the 2016 one as they had it for about a year.  On the iPad as about to leave for school bus duty - taking the twin grandkids to school.  I’ll post the link later.  

I remember my my dad putting seat belts in cars when I was a kid, remember him helping friends put seat belts in their car after the had a crash and their kids were injured but recovered.  Remember the car seat for our first kid who was born in 1980, scary by today’s standards.