Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
eddwal50

spare tire reel 2014 connecr

anyone know how to replace the spare tire take up reel I removed my spare and over wound the cable stupid me 

Posted (edited)

If you can raise the TC as  high as possible then the cable will wind up better with the cable straight and loaded .

Edited by G B L

stupid me got a blow out did not attach the blown out tire to the reel put in the van cargo area wound up the reel went beyond the limit stop now it is jammed might have to replace it 

I you get the TC up so you can have good access you could find a way to unload it and free up the cable.  I bet if you loosen the mount  you will be able to free the cable.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

the reel is fucked turns out if you wind up the reel to far something in the reel breaks tried to lower the reel after putting weight on it reel turns cable does not move ford should have put a cable stop on the cable have purchased a used reel assembly will be replacing it on the weekend ford used 1/4 rivits to secure hose reel in place starting in 2014 thru 2018 vans so when I replace the reel I will add a cable stop 

9 hours ago, eddwal50 said:

the reel is fucked turns out if you wind up the reel to far something in the reel breaks....

The manual for my 2015 Wagon has this caution on page 243....

"Do not raise the spare wheel carrier
without the wheel attached. Damage can
occur to the winch mechanism if lowered
without a wheel attached."

Sounds like the manual was written after someone found the design flaw in the reel!!

I might still have a spare reel if I can find it.  My van didnt have a spare tire when I got it and I needed the removable part on the end of the cable that the spare bolts to.  I wont be home until mothers day weekend.

PM me if you are interested, I will give it away for shipping costs if I can find it.