Ford Transit Connect Forum

Audio options ?

REC

How much of a difference will having the polarity reversed make? I know they need to be in phase, but if they are both reversed will that make a noticeable difference?

I guess this week being 20 degrees outside I don't feel like pulling the door panels again!

Mike

As long as they're in phase with each other, it really makes no difference which is positive and negative, I think. Not 100% positive of that. Of course they'll be out of phase with the rears if you have rears.

As far as the free wiring pigtails that Crutchfield sent me - they're awesome! They plug right in, no need to rewire anything or worry about polarity. It's especially nice on the fronts where they didn't give you much slack in the wiring.

I have installed a set of Boston S55 speakers in the front doors. The shop I went to told me that 6-1/2" speakers would fit, course they were wrong.

Sound is much improved and looking forward to getting another head unit at some point in the future.

Hey Guys, here is my audio set up:

Mission 2- Operation Rolling Thunder.

Driving through Palm Springs on the way to Joshua Tree I noticed that having two speakers wasn't ideal for road tripping.

The aftermarket system that was installed in the car was terrible, so an upgrade was in order.

I took my transit over to Best Buy before Christmas break to have my friend install a system and make a custom box that wouldn't

compromise the utility of my new toy.

6631760281_077d841753.jpg

Kicker DX500 AMP Installed where the 3rd row windows would be.

6631779261_29ae198146.jpg

6631769087_66b27dcb4b.jpg

Kicker COMP 10" subwoofer Tucked out of the way in a custom sub-box.

6631772801_ed21135e4e.jpg

Kicker KS693 Speakers Mounted in the back doors.

6631775903_b1215cddd8.jpg

Pioneer Headunit

6631782543_98ddb2574d.jpg

Finished

6631766433_a5bc1eb5aa.jpg

I'll keep this forum updated on the progress of Operation: Adventure Transit.

Edited by Bikesnbreakdowns

• 4 months later...

Hello All. My wife just purchased a 2012 TC XLT van. After a little googling, I found this excellent site, joined up, and this is my first post.

I don't know diddly about the Transit Connect, apart from doing some reading on this board. Yesterday, I left my own car at home (I drive a '69 MG Midget; it's okay if you want to laugh) and took the van out to get a feel for the thing. After a quick 50 or so miles, I admit that I rather like it.

Except for one thing.

This has to go:

DSC00145.jpg

I've read through the posts here on removing the head units, but I am still puzzled as to how this unit is removed. Before I do any damage, I would greatly appreciate any guidence.

Thanks!

Welcome Bill. You are the first to post a picture of the radio in a 2012 Transit Connect. You did the right thing, reading all the previous posts (thanks). As you found out, the radio changed. There are no slots along the top and bottom edge to use the "keys" that removed the 2010 and 2011 year model radios. If I was to guess, I would say the bezel that surrounds the radio (and contains the three switches) would have to come off. If anyone on the forum has the workshop manual for the 2012 Transit Connect, or has removed a 2012 radio, please help Bill.

103west43rd, thanks for the quick reply. You reached the same conclusion I had, in that the plastic facia / surround is likely covering the removal key access points. I thought I would wait for input here before I tried removing anything, however.

Here's another shot, pulled back a bit:

DSC00146.jpg

I'll monitor the thread, and keep my mitts off the thing for now...

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully, you figured this out, but if not...

The facia is held on with some 'push clips'. Using a stiff putty knife, gently pry it off starting from the bottom and then the sides/top.

The radio is held in with 4 screws. There is ample room to install a better head unit and other accessories. I installed a JVC KW-NT500 plus new speakers and a sub and LOVE IT! I left the clips off to allow easy future access.

TDSGUY, thanks for that.

I suspected the facia would likely 'pop' with a little convincing, but decided to hold off and remain patient for a response. (Installed a rear-view camera meanwhile. Good addition, BTW)

I'll give it a try this weekend...unless these constant ~100° F temps force me to wimp out. :baby: