Ford Transit Connect Forum

Maintenance Costs & Who Can Service TC's

Everything about TC's sounds good but I'm wondering how much parts and maintenance are on them. I'll probably end up with an older 2013 thru 2015 TC. Do TC's need to be serviced by a dealer for the most part or can most mechanics do a lot of the work? Also, are parts expensive compared to other cargo vans? Thanks for your help. Its greatly appreciated.

I have very little real experience with maintenance on the TC's.  Bought my 2016 in late November and it now has 1,500 miles on it!  

They are based on the Focus and share many parts with it.  I looked under the hood and there is a lot of room under there.  No silly engine cover with a built in (hard to get to) air cleaner like my VW's have.  Compared to a turbo New Beetly it's a dream!  The Forescan application is available for free and is a good electronic diagnosis tool that not only will read and reset codes but will do much more.  I got a USB OBD interface from Amazon for $29.99.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Some have had difficulty with it but it worked fine for me - all I did was connect it and run the software.  For now I'm back to the dealer till the warranty runs out.  There are a couple of places that sell the full service manual.  Depending on which version (PDF or PDF with hyperlinks or CD) the cost starts at $79 I think and goes up.  I have found this board to be very helpful with questions.  

Therefore with Forescan, a service manual and the advice of members here it's my opinion service and repair will not be too difficult.

Depends on where you buy your parts.  In the last 8+/- months I've purchased a set of front door latches for just shy of $700, but I also bought a valve cover gasket from my local auto parts store for $21 (Ford dealer wanted $42).  My brake rotors are $35 each from the auto parts store.  So not too bad.  Besides the latches, an issue not everyone has, I haven't had to spend much on my 2010....  And yes, you can take it anywhere you want.  

I really like my '10, but if someone were to ask me what year to buy, I'd definitely tell them to get the later generation with the V6.  My 4 cylinder is a dog

The V6 gets much better fuel economy, or so I've read.  

Edited by Timbo

If you are prone to self service and you get a reasonable scanner then the TC is not hard to service there are plenty of after market parts.  The TC has as many annoying jobs as do most newer cars. 

Some of the tasks are easy some are hard. 

V-6 where do you get one of those?

Edited by G B L

20 hours ago, Timbo said:

I really like my '10, but if someone were to ask me what year to buy, I'd definitely tell them to get the later generation with the V6.  My 4 cylinder is a dog

The V6 gets much better fuel economy, or so I've read.  

Which 'generation' comes with a V6???

2014 through 2018 still has a 4 cylinder, but with a much better 6 speed transmission and yes, they are both peppier and get better mileage

Don

Hey if you find a V-6 I am in!

I have read that the 2019 is going to have a Diesel and a 2.0 liter Direct Injection Gas with more speeds in the Trans .  The trans is suppose to Reduce the effect of the power loss. They seem to be going the wrong way.

Edited by G B L

34 minutes ago, mrtn said:

Use of a transmission is a clear sign of a weak engine.

Actually, it just means that your 'engine' doesn't have it's max torque where you need it  -  Namely to get you moving away from a standing stop

Steam engines and electric motors don't require multiple speed transmissions because the same ratio that gets you moving from a standing stop is also the ratio you'll be using to go 75 mph, so no shifting is needed

In my electric cars the motor is permanently connected to the wheels with a 7 to 1 ratio gear reduction  -  No clutches or any other gears necessary . . . . reverse the motor rotation to back up, so no reverse gear either.  Plenty of power from a standing stop (where the electric motor has max torque) and still enough revs for the freeway because the motor is limited at 10,000 RPM

Don

The car companies seem to be  using the number of speeds as part of the marketing strategy's.

Electric motors are very good for traction motor service .  The fuel capacity issue is the major hold up in the electric car progress.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:11 PM, G B L said:

I have read that the 2019 is going to have a Diesel and a 2.0 liter Direct Injection Gas with more speeds in the Trans .  The trans is suppose to Reduce the effect of the power loss.

Yes, a 1.5 liter turbo diesel mated to an 8 speed trans

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-vans/2019-ford-transit-connect-cargo-van-first-look/ar-BBJX8E8?ocid=spartandhp

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Depends upon your perspective. I drove 2WD 4-cylinder Nissan Frontiers for 25 years - one a manual and the next two with automatics. They were pretty anemic and managed 25 mpg average only with very conservative driving. My TC feels like a hot rod in comparison, with passing power the Nissans could only dream about. I also really love the TC's handling. I now average about 27.5 mpg, with 13,000 miles - with no thought as to how I drive it. The most useful vehicle I have ever owned for both my business (Artist) and my personal use.

Dislikes:

Road noise is pretty bad on anything but really smooth surfaces.

Voice controlled audio system sucks.

Can be a lot of door rattles that sometimes can not be eliminated.

DIY oil changes are just too much trouble. This old guy now just takes it to the dealer. Luckily, with modern lubes, they aren't required that often.

The Vista-view windows are really grand but the low windshield really takes a beating and doesn't take long to become completely pitted.

Yeah, tcc, I'm also coming from a small pickup & I saw all of the above when I rented a FTC. Road noise I attributed to renting a freight van & I've bought a wagon. My B3000 runs 12,5 litres / 100km, the rented breadbox ran 9,0 so I can invest the 29% I'm saving on fuel in the windshield washer fluid. Damn, I've never seen such a thirst for blue kool-aid!

I also had a Ford Focus for a day, with the full sync3 sound. Any audio system that requires you to mess around with a touch-screen for 20 seconds in order to change radio stations has no place in a car. (I wouldn't even tolerate that in my living room, donchaknow...)

GK

On 3/6/2018 at 7:04 AM, G B L said:

If you are prone to self service and you get a reasonable scanner then the TC is not hard to service there are plenty of after market parts.  The TC has as many annoying jobs as do most newer cars. 

Some of the tasks are easy some are hard. 

V-6 where do you get one of those?

There is currently 2 post on Craigslist in my area for 2015-16 TCs with 6 cyl engines (for sale by owner). To paraphrase MRTN in another thread: "Dummies".

" 6 cylinder (good power but also good fuel economy)
      Factory warranty until Dec 2018"

I don't think I would even deal with someone who cannot count to four when they open the hood.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, only a 4 cylinder but it has plenty of low end torque.  When my van is full of stuff or passengers, it has no problems in stop and go traffic.  I put the seats flat and carry cargo fairly easily.  I was thinking about getting a new hood latch when mine doesn't close good sometimes.  This looks like all Ford OEM parts here.

https://www.southfloridafordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-latch-dt1z16700a

Can somebody let me know if that's the correct part or is there another place to be looking? They got all kinds of diagrams for tons of parts for my van on here.  Now that my miles are getting up there, I want to be ready to start getting parts.

You might not need a new latch. Mine had a problem of not closing sometimes and the reason was a misadjusted cable. The bullet end of the cable was a bit off center and when popping in the wrong side of the latch it did not allow it to lock. The dealer adjusted it and it's worked fine since.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:06 AM, Jiquay said:

Yeah, tcc, I'm also coming from a small pickup

I used to drive 1/4 ton pickups.  Toyota Tacoma (which I really like) now cost more, and they don't sell Ford Ranger anymore.  The Honda Ridgeline is not a real pickup.  GM trucks proved to be in need of more maintenance when in fleet service, or at least that is what I heard.  

I can honestly say that In over 10 years, my 1/2 ton has seen regular fluid changes, 1 new set of brakes, and that is it.  Zero problems with blown gaskets, failed cooling system (water pump, thermostat, hoses, fan), fuel injectors and fuel pump, exhaust, suspension, et cetera. 

I would go back to driving a smaller pickup, if they didn't go up in price so much.  Problem is that I'm not spending the same amount of money for less truck.

Hoping that my Transit Connect will hold up 10 years with just oil changes and brakes.

The mechanics in the Corporate Yard tell me that those Dodge Police Package cars are nice, but something is always going out.  And that the new Interceptor version of the Explorer has driveline, braking, and suspension issues.....they think it's because it's a souped up Taurus disguised as an SUV, and not a real truck.  

My B3000 never cost me much in repairs until this year, when I need 8 tires, brakes, muffler, head gasket, power steering pump, and battery. $6g for a truck with 330000 km on the clock...

Good down payment on the FTCW!

GK

B3000 is a Ranger, right?

In U.S.A., I drove a couple of Rangers, and friends had them too.  I really liked them until the prices went up.  

I always thought that 1/4 ton pickups should have an 8'X4" bed, even if they can't carry as much weight.  

On 4/3/2018 at 6:32 AM, tcconvert said:

Dislikes:

DIY oil changes are just too much trouble. This old guy now just takes it to the dealer. Luckily, with modern lubes, they aren't required that often.

I just did an oil change, and it wasn't that bad.  There is a splash guard which you will need a T27 torx bit & and a tool for the plastic pop rivets.  This creates a few more minutes of work.  The drain plug and filter are easily accessed once you get under the car.  

But I get what you're saying.  With age, our physical abilities diminish.  After a lifetime of scoffing, I finally bought a creeper to ease sliding under the car.  I actually don't need it.  But I couldn't resist the one that Pep Boys had on sale for $11.

Big Red Plastic Creeper 9160211
$39.99
$14.98
Sale
Price
$11.24
With Promotion
  • Part #: TR6240P|
  •  
  • SKU: 9160211