Ford Transit Connect Forum

Patience... Patience

Jiquay

Just a quick note to say hello while I'm waiting for Ford to build my wagon...

(This may go on for a page or two...)

I ordered an XL Wagon two weeks ago, after noticing them on the streets for over a decade. I'm in my mid-50s & so far I've only owned two cars. I figure I'll only own two more before I hang up the permit, so I want THIS ONE to be new.  My first was a '69 Chevy & I loved the cameraderie of Old Chevy Owners waving to each other.  My latest is a '04 Mazda B & I'd need one of those suction-cup wavey hands in the window to cover all the other B pickups I see...

I rented a TC van to live with one longer than the 12 minutes the dealer gives you to "test drive," most of which is spent with the salesman yakking in your ear.  I found it quite nice - it's not a truck but it's not a car, either.  Passing semi-trucks don't blow it off the road and the Traction Control (on the '15 I rented) doesn't make you car-sick as it searches for asphalt in the snow.  (I hope the traction control hasn't been updated in the last 3 years...)

I camp in the back of my truck frequently, but I am also tired of going out with friends & having to wait for them to catch a bus when we change locations because the pickup has only 2 seats... And I didn't want "my father's" minivan. As I said, I like the "rare birds" of the road, & the other vehicles to suit my needs (Mazda 5, Volks Sportwagen) are all over the place.  So are TCs, come to think of it, but they've all got a logo where I will have Windows... 8-)

Keith

BSUPC: '69 Chevy Nova with a straight-6, 3-on-the-tree, manual steering & manual brakes.

Same weight as my Mazda B, & you'd think with 35 years of technology & aerodynamics, they'd find a way to save fuel on an 1800kg chunk of iron.  They haven't.

But I don't miss doing tune-ups every 3500 miles... breaker-point ignition!

GK

The only thing that cannot be changed in the equation is how much HP it takes to move 1800 Kg .  Hp = gal or Liters per mile or kilometers . 

As for the Tune up if you still had the Nova Pertronix makes a points  replacement module for the dist that would end the 3500mi tune up.

GBL: Push-rod straight-6 with a carburetor & breaker-point ignition, on a three-speed gearbox, versus Overhead Cam V6 with multi-port fuel injection & computer-controlled 25000-volt coils, with a five-speed overdrive manual...

True but a  pair of pliers, screw driver and an adjustable wrench would get you home, now its triple A.

When you get your TC learn  how to turn off the Traction control . That will be important.

Edited by G B L

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow!  I'm glad all I needed was a cargo van.  Wife dropped me off at the dealership, after 5 hours of paperwork, I drove off in my new van.  

I hope yours, with whatever bells and whistles you're waiting for, turns out to be worth it !!!

If I had ordered mine I would have had to get a 2017. I wanted the most stripped down version I could get that had rear windows. The rest of it I would have been happier NOT to get. Might even have been willing to pay more NOT to get any bells and whistles. 

In stock 300 km away was a fully-loaded silver Titanium. (Silver & white are a definite no-go for me.)

Calgary area had exactly the XL equipment list I want - black. 6-8 weeks. meh.

My dealer had a naked XL on order. "Oh, we can install everything you want except the frost-free windshield..." White, 6-seater, and I've met some mechanics at dealerships - thanks, I'll wait.

GK

Edited by Jiquay

Yes, that’s exactly how I wound up with a white Titanium.  Totally agree on dealer installing stuff although the dealer service on my Volt has been first class the one time I had an issue.   I don’t hate white but would have rather had a red or green.  

A buddy runs a rustproof shop - white & silver rust quicker than almost all other colours, probably because the sun doesn't warm it as much as other paints & the condensation doesn't dry out of the door panels. Hence white & silver being on my 'no fly' list...

GK