Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear backup camera

Polancoay

1 hour ago, mrtn said:

With a window it's even easier - a down angle mirror or a stick-on fisheye lens. These were popular in the 90s.

Its been my experience that fisheye mirrors are good for seeing that SOMETHIING is there, but not necessarily what it is or precisely WHERE it is. Other persons may use them better than me though.

My original point is simply that there are tools and methods beyond a complex electronic device to accomplish a simple task.

I'll be 59 next month, but I think back up cameras are great.  So it's not a "new age" thing.

But, if you insist on going archaic ...

Just punch a hole in the door right above the ball.  That will let you see that you're on target for the hitch !!!

Simple !!!

49 minutes ago, Mike Chell said:

I'll be 59 next month, but I think back up cameras are great.  So it's not a "new age" thing.

But, if you insist on going archaic ...

Just punch a hole in the door right above the ball.  That will let you see that you're on target for the hitch !!!

Simple !!!

Here in VA we would just take the doors OFF......call it "going native".

Working on the windows thing here ...

camper-mods-01.jpg

Maybe not as good as the stock windows would be, but certainly a big improvement, with the added bonus of actual ventilation. Also had the shop cut out the waffle grid on the cargo wall behind the passenger seat and remove the section behind the driver's seat completely. That should help a bunch.

Edited by sKiZo

12 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Working on the windows thing here ...

I like those. Mind if I ask where you got those from specifically? I know there are plenty out there but I tend to like to use something I've already seen installed. Looks like you did a great job!

On 6/29/2018 at 6:26 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I like those. Mind if I ask where you got those from specifically? I know there are plenty out there but I tend to like to use something I've already seen installed. Looks like you did a great job!

Sorry to take so long ... missed the notification ...

https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/pricing.html

- WD07 for the side doors. Those are 21x14" horizontal sliders $75 each.

- WD04 for the rear doors. Those are 14x16" vertical sliders @ $70 each

There's a variety of trim rings available for different thickness panels. My TC just has the glue in panels and only needed the 0 thickness rings. Make sure you ask them to "mirror" the windows on the side doors so they both have the fixed glass FORWARD and have the weep holes on the bottom. Both rear windows have the fixed glass UP. 

Seem to be pretty well made. I didn't do the install - same guy who raised the roof put those in. Had some big boomers come thru with a lot of rain last night and everything stayed dry. Check back in 10 years or so and I'll do a report on durability. <G>

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, sKiZo said:

https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/pricing.html

- WD07 for the side doors. Those are 21x14" horizontal sliders $75 each.

- WD04 for the rear doors. Those are 14x16" vertical sliders @ $70 each

There's a variety of trim rings available for different thickness panels. My TC just has the glue in panels and only needed the 0 thickness rings. Make sure you ask them to "mirror" the windows on the side doors so they both have the fixed glass FORWARD and have the weep holes on the bottom. Both rear windows have the fixed glass UP. 

Appreciate it much.

A dozen years ago, backup cameras were $$$. Today, all the parts are less than $20.  Cost is no longer a factor.  It is simply wise to have the technology available.  

I recall when you could buy a car with or without power steering and power brakes. I still think that you can drive without power steering. You can stop without ABS. People slowed down to a safe speed without traction control.

Today, every car comes with a camera.  You can't fight progress.

May as well argue that the square wheel was a better design.

A better question ... WHY fight progress?

Yes, it's good to know how to survive in the wild, just in case you live through an apocalypse ... but that doesn't mean I'm going to CHOOSE to live in a tent without air conditioning.

Of course one can drive, safely, without modern technological wonders, but WHY do so?  Knowing how to live "without" is wise.  CHOOSING to live without is just nuts.

I know more than one way to start a fire.  Not worried about being stuck in the woods with nothing except my Bear Grylls knife.  When I go to the woods, I go prepared.  I double check all of my gear, and practice redundancy.  I bring matches, a Zippo, and a butane lighter.  All wrapped in 2 zip lock bags to keep them dry.  I don't have to worry about bushcrafting with my survival knife.  I have an axe for processing wood.  I bring a pistol, rifle, & shotgun....if there is food, I'm shooting it.  

The point is that in the modern world, the only way that you can find yourself in the woods with nothing more than a knife, is if you put yourself in that situation.  That is why all of those people on youtube, or on a reality show, actually go home.  They don't live in the woods either.  

Same with your car.  Why deny yourself the technology?  Remember when cars didn't even come with a passenger side mirror?  Before airbags, I can recall cars not having seat belts.  For 50+ years, people slid across the bench seat as they hung corners, looked over their should because there was no mirror, and Fred Flintstone stopped with his feet.  

Yet we still have people who do not want a backup camera.  

May as well fornicate unprotected with inebriated, new age, holistic mediums, that you pick up in a Fern Bar.  Wear polyester like it's the 70's, when you didn't know that the material was flammable.  Listen to Disco, even though it rots your brain.  Accept a Quaalude from Mr. Cosby.  

• 7 months later...

I suspect that the camera is an aftermarket camera.  The original equipment camera does not have an RCA style output. 

Ford Part No.: FT1Z-19G490-C

blob.png.57db6591e0f6ad5d889fe02d227dc9f8.png

The bad news is that it cost $325.  Hopefully, that will be all you need. 

• 2 months later...

Wow, what do I say. When I drive the newer vehicles I like the backup camera but.....I don't yet trust the backup camera. But with no windows and no view it helps me get in the ballpark.....I get out of the van only once or maybe twice now to check distance. I might still be old school.

• 1 year later...
On 7/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, Fifty150 said:

A dozen years ago, backup cameras were $$$. Today, all the parts are less than $20.  Cost is no longer a factor.  It is simply wise to have the technology available.  

I recall when you could buy a car with or without power steering and power brakes. I still think that you can drive without power steering. You can stop without ABS. People slowed down to a safe speed without traction control.

Today, every car comes with a camera.  You can't fight progress.

May as well argue that the square wheel was a better design.

I am not sure where you got your information, but the back up camera on my 2016 Transit Connect XLT LWB passenger van stopped working. I searched and searched for a replacement. Ford wanted $375 just for the camera alone. I finally found an OEM replacement from genuinefordparts.com for $263 which included shipping. It took me less than half an hour to pop off the trunk liner, remove 4 11 mm nuts and remove the tailgate latch and camera. The camera has a connector that I removed, popped the old camera out, installed the new one and put everything back together. This time, I used RTV silicone sealer to seal around the hole the camera fits in. I believe the stock camera got wet and that caused it to fail. Anyway, if you can find an OEM back up camera for less than $20  I would love to know where. 

On 3/7/2019 at 12:12 AM, davidparker said:

I suspect that the camera is an aftermarket camera.  The original equipment camera does not have an RCA style output. 

Ford Part No.: FT1Z-19G490-C

blob.png.57db6591e0f6ad5d889fe02d227dc9f8.png

The bad news is that it cost $325.  Hopefully, that will be all you need. 

https://www.oemford.parts/oem-parts/ford-rear-camera-ft1z19g490d    has the OEM camera for $263 with shipping. 

I'm in the process of installing a couple of cameras. When I owned a T250 Transit, medium roof, with no windows I set up an always-on camera on the 3rd brake light and had a commanding view of the road behind me. Now that I have a 20 TC cargo I've decided to do the same thing. Already installed the first one on the license plate frame, and the next one is going on the 3rd brake light. It'll give a lot better view as the lower one is actually so low that the view is kind of limited.

I mounted a 7" monitor on the windshield "clamshell". Worked out great as there is key switched power there. I'll post pics when completed.