Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear backup camera

Polancoay

Hi I m new on this website, I just bought my first TC 2017. The rear camera is in installed but not workin. I m looking on information of how to get it to work. I believe I m missing some parts, but not sure what is it. The dealer said  I’m missing  a socket, but somebody told me I m missing the camera control module which it should be install in the back door. All I have in the rear door is the wires for the camera. (Black and red for power , and the rca yelllow cable for video. Two male connectors that are coming from the cabin. One has only two cables and the other has 6 wires. Blue, gree, white blue, white and two black.

Thx

Welcome to the site.  Sorry but don't have answers to your questions.  A little more information about your TC such as commercial or passenger,which trim level (XL, XLT or Titanium) and which radio package.  I have seen several posts discussing the backup camera and I think it also has something to do with radio modules.  If you have not done already try searching for backup camera.  Also there are a couple of threads that talk about service manuals.  As I recall the cost is between $130 and $200 depending on PDF, PDF with links or on a disk.  Hopefully others will be able to give more detailed responses on the wiring.  

• 4 months later...

Mine is the XLT and I love it.  I was reading some place else that some people needed to install the Forscan app and change settings to get backup cameras to work on some Fords.  Is that true for Transit Connects?  I downloaded the Forscan app for my phone.  I bought a Bluetooth ODBII dongle but it won't pair properly. I'm sending it back to get another one.

I would do whatever you could to get that backup camera working. I use mine every day and let me tell you, it's so worth having.  If I couldn't do it, I would take the van to a stereo shop and get an aftermarket radio installed and get them to install a camera for you if you have to.

If it was new, just let the dealer figure it out.  Should be covered under warranty.  

The other option is just to wire up the camera yourself to the reverse lamp circuit, and install your own monitor.  Not a great option.  But it will work.  

My XL didn't come with a camera.  I installed an aftermarket camera and aftermarket monitor sourced from amazon.com.  It wasn't all that hard to do.  I have had zero problems.  

I installed a "gifted" back up camera on my 2017.  Bolts on the license plate position, which is offset too far from centerline.  So, I can see what's behind me, but I can't truly tell "where" it is !!

I'm currently looking for an alternative, or some way to move this one.

8 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Funny you should say that.  Some of the commercial vans don't have rear windows.  Some don't even have a rearview mirror: there's nothing to see when you don't have a rear window.

Since I was looking for a cargo van, that was a specific requirement I had. MUST have rear windows and must NOT have a backup camera. Unless my mirrors fall off the technology will never fail me.

I understand the requirement for windows.  I don't understand the one for "No camera".  I have loved the camera in every vehicle I've driven [with one].

Loved them so much, I installed this one in my T.C.

Cameras are great tools. 

I still use my mirrors, etc., but they may not show you a cat or dog standing back there.   A camera does.

Edited by Mike Chell

3 hours ago, Mike Chell said:

I don't understand the one for "No camera". 

Simple. Electronic devices are prone to failure and much more difficult (and costly) to repair when they do. The vast majority of them are unnecessary. Computers do a very good job of regulating fuel and ignition, but beyond that, pretty much everything else is FLUFF. Bells and whistles.

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid.

59 minutes ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

No it isn't. I have spent a lifetime hooking up trailers without a camera. Nobody I know has much difficulty with it.

For You and your friends, naturally. But I am way too weak to pull a fully loaded trailer (rocks, sand, decking wood, firewood, a garden tractor or a mini loader, flatbed laminator, a wideformat printer, you name it) to a tow ball on grass, forest or uneven terrain by a hand. 

36189226_10216884229040537_8985489998945

3clMXYTHDV0RmB5un2a_vukH6OIYWotLkvURCfMI

There will always be some who insist on tradition.  Nothing wrong with that.  A microwave will never roast a chicken properly.  

In the automotive world, the Amish still insist on a horse & buggy.  

OldSchoolFool, your days of not having a camera are numbered.  All new passenger vehicles are now required to be sold with cameras.  Eventually, you will find yourself with a pair of wire cutters, manually over-riding the camera, just to prove to everyone else that it isn't needed.  The rest of us will depend on the camera so much, that we will forget how to turn our heads and use the mirrors.

1 hour ago, mrtn said:

But I am way too weak to pull a fully loaded trailer (rocks, sand, decking wood, firewood, a garden tractor or a mini loader, flatbed laminator, a wideformat printer, you name it) to a tow ball on grass, forest or uneven terrain by a hand. 

Delicate not being my forte, I have to ask. You do know that you move the truck to the trailer, not the trailer to the truck, right?

12 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

The rest of us will depend on the camera so much, that we will forget how to turn our heads and use the mirrors.

I suspect there is already a portion of the population that has forgotten how to get to work each day without the assistance of a GPS.

On 6/26/2018 at 4:44 PM, VictorsFlowerDelivery said:

Mine is the XLT and I love it.  I was reading some place else that some people needed to install the Forscan app and change settings to get backup cameras to work on some Fords.  Is that true for Transit Connects?  I downloaded the Forscan app for my phone.  I bought a Bluetooth ODBII dongle but it won't pair properly. I'm sending it back to get another one.

I would do whatever you could to get that backup camera working. I use mine every day and let me tell you, it's so worth having.  If I couldn't do it, I would take the van to a stereo shop and get an aftermarket radio installed and get them to install a camera for you if you have to.

Getting a radio head that supports a backup camera is the way I went. That and a license plate mount camera do the trick. The camera is also mounted on a flexible stalk that can be bent to aim the camera where you need it, and seems so far to be sturdy enough to stay where I put it. To aim it, I just back the TC up to the garage door with an "X" of blue tape on it and center that on the screen.

That said, I'd love to find out more about the Forscan app and whether there's any trick settings for the stock camera system on the 2011 TC. Mine is a cargo style WITH the factory camera, but that doesn't work. The camera is there and hooked up, and I get a red light on the rear view mirror showing it's active, but that's about it ...

8 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Delicate not being my forte, I have to ask. You do know that you move the truck to the trailer, not the trailer to the truck, right?

Again, you and your friends backing up to the draw bar within half an inch from the coupling location without damaging the bumper every time you miss? Well, I cant, even tho I tow a trailer bi-weekly for the past 15 years. So with the new Connect I inch backwards, go check the distance and repeat until in sweet spot.

5 hours ago, mrtn said:

So with the new Connect I inch backwards, go check the distance and repeat until in sweet spot.

I used to work for this guy long ago and moved around equipment a lot. He rigged up a 2 flag system, one on the hitch and one on the receiver. Low tech but worked like a charm. Back windows are a must though.