Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cross Bar Roof Rack System with Factory Rails?

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago we got ourselves a 2014 Titanium LWB and have been doing a lot of research regarding roof rack utilizing the factory rails and would like to be able to keep them if I can. 

I've read that the Yakima Railgrab system will work, but have found conflicting information if there's enough clearance to actually use attachments, which for me would defeat the purpose of the rack. I plan to use it for kayaks, bikes and potentially basket for weekend camping trips and other adventures and don't plan to use it for anything too heavy like construction material. 

I've found there's options out there if I want to remove the factory silver rails, drop the headliner and bolt something down...but I'd rather not do that for a few reasons if I can avoid it.  If you've found a solid options here, please share the specifics and any pictures if possible.

Thanks a bunch.

Justin

20180130_113536.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like this info. It looks like RailGrab isn't available on Yakima's site anymore, and their online fit check doesn't say anything will work.  Was this an older version of the RailGrab? 

Thule suggests either:

1. AeroBlade 7603

2. Aeroblade ARB53 with the Rapid Podium Foot Pack and Kit 4016

3. Or, their normal square bars with the Podium Foot Pack and Kit 4016

I'm leaning toward the AeroBlade, but I've got a bunch of older Yakima stuff, and I don't really want to replace all of it. 

Any other experiences? 

I have a ton of Yakima attachments as well and found a set of RailGrab at a used rack store in town.

The only issue I have found regarding clearance is when I went to use my Skybox.  I am able to get the front set of grips to fit under the bar but the rear grips are not able to fit.  I fixed this by shaving the grip a bit an placing a piece of rubber under the RailGrab.  The rubber I chose was a hard durometer and was UV and chemical resistant.  I check it often to make sure it is still in place and the tower is still solid.

Here is the info for the RailGrab

https://www.yakima.com/railgrab-4-pack

Craigslist is a good source.

On 3/3/2018 at 11:00 AM, Boomerweps said:

Could I trouble you to list the Yakima part numbers?

I'm sorry I'm not sure on the part numbers but it's the same as the link Kirk posted above, utilizing the small claws (there are 3 different sizes of claws as far as I know) and round bar set-up. I got everything together lightly used patiently watching ebay but you may also try craigslist or facebook marketplace as used sets come up often.

On 3/6/2018 at 6:35 PM, mrtn said:

Avoid square bars. Had a pair in one of my cars, there was always some humming.

Yeah I remember having those on an old civic hatchback of mine, the fairing definitely helped.  I'm actually surprised at how quiet this is without a fairing, although I do have a small wind deflector in the middle. Still looking for a fairing that will work to make it quieter and look better as the one I got was too big.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, mrtn said:

Second that. Mine seems to have some harmonics going on about 70mph. Been trying to think of some way to deflect air without affecting functionality.

On 3/9/2018 at 5:41 PM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Second that. Mine seems to have some harmonics going on about 70mph. Been trying to think of some way to deflect air without affecting functionality.

Wind fairing works well for that.

On 3/6/2018 at 4:35 PM, mrtn said:

On 3/9/2018 at 6:00 AM, doitdub said:

Yeah I remember having those on an old civic hatchback of mine, the fairing definitely helped.  I'm actually surprised at how quiet this is without a fairing, although I do have a small wind deflector in the middle. Still looking for a fairing that will work to make it quieter and look better as the one I got was too big.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:41 PM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I had the same issue with Thule square bars on my Subaru. The bars made all sorts of whistling racket when they were empty above 50 mph. I used a small 1/4" rope wrapped spirally around the bars about 3" apart for a test and that eliminated the noise. Then switched to 1/8" shock cord I ordered from Amazon with bowline knot loops at each end and they always stay taut. Whisper quiet!  

3 hours ago, desert_connect said:

I had the same issue with Thule square bars on my Subaru. The bars made all sorts of whistling racket when they were empty above 50 mph. I used a small 1/4" rope wrapped spirally around the bars about 3" apart for a test and that eliminated the noise. Then switched to 1/8" shock cord I ordered from Amazon with bowline knot loops at each end and they always stay taut. Whisper quiet!  

I will certainly try this out. Headed to the Outer Banks in a couple weeks to work on the Sunnyside Beach Cottage Retirement home with some good windshield time. The trip would be much more enjoyable without a bunch of humming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an update on the rack. I ended up moving it to the rear of the wagon which on the extended I could probably fit a couple more bars up there if I ever decided I needed it. With my hitch set-up, I don't think I ever will though, as I just plan to use the top rack for kayaks and mtn bikes and/or cargo carrier will go on the back.  Anyway, just recently installed these kayak carriers and seem to work well so far with plenty of clearance and although I haven't tried putting 2 kayaks up there yet, with these 58" bars I'll have plenty of room to fit a couple up there...3 if I get creative ;)https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pair-Canoe-Boat-Kayak-Roof-Rack-Car-SUV-Truck-Top-Mount-Carrier-J-Cross-Bar/322350994133?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20181014_174304.jpg

Edited by doitdub

• 1 year later...

I got these off ebay, $99 & free shipping from UK. They went on with no problem & work good. I just brought 6 16 foot 2x4's home from the lumber yard on them !. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-ANTI-THEFT-ALUMINIUM-CROSS-BAR-RACK-75-KG-LOADING-BLACK/223320694806?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20200603_180314.jpg