Ford Transit Connect Forum

TPMS & Offset questions with aftermarket wheels.

Timbo

I'm considering a set of these for my 2010 TC --->  https://www.americastire.com/buy-wheels/drag-dr-33/p/13796

I noticed, besides being .5" wider than stock, the offset (38) is different than the OEM wheels, even though this wheel is what their site shows when you search on 2010 TC-compatible wheels.  

According to what a user posted in another thread, it sounds like that offset is going to be too little.  I heard no more/less than 10 +/- was advisable due to possible wheel bearing damage.  

I read somewhere that 52mm was the OEM offset for the 2010 TC, but I'm uncertain if that's positive or negative offset they're measuring.  

Do people still use metal spacers behind their wheels to achieve the proper offset?  

I'm also wondering about the TPMS.  Am I going to have to buy factory, Ford valve stems to attach the sensors to?  It seems like most aftermarket wheels I see have metal valve stems.  

Does the TPMS sensor attach directly to the stem?  If so, it sounds like I'll need special valve stems, unless my original, rubber stems can be used with the new wheels.  

One thing I don't like about these wheels is that they seem to have lug holes for more than one bolt pattern.  I worry that might look a little cheesy if the surface behind the open holes isn't black. 

fullsizeoutput_5bb.jpeg

Edited by Timbo

14 mm is not that much of a stress even tho the recommendation you're talking about is probably mine. It may rub a bit in full lock as it's more towards inside of the wheel well plus the few mm of added width so it's close to 20 mm closed to the inside of the wheel well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was your post where I read the 10mm +/- recommendation.  I also wondered about the extra .5" width of the aftermarket wheel being an issue.  

I'm not planning to go with larger wheels and lower profile tires, just running as close to stock as possible.  

Any tips on the TPMS and possible issues with the new rims?  I can't imagine it's going to pose much of a problem.  Lots of people change the wheels on their cars.  

It looks like this is what's inside the stock TC wheels.  

I've seen rubber valve stems at my local auto parts store with this kind of mounting hardware at the base, so worse case, I might have to by new stems.  

I wonder if the sensors from the stock rear wheels have to stay in the new rear wheels when you change rims, given they're a different pressure than the front tires.  

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Timbo

As Mrtn says 14mm isn't that much in way of stress. It is a positive offset of 52.5 and spacers would only add to your issue. Basically as the offset decreases the wheels are pushed out. As long as you're not changing tire size you should have no problem with rubbing. I'm running 245/50 on 7" rims with a positive 37 offset (as opposed to the stock 215/55 with positive 50 offset with 6.5 rims) on my 2016 without any rubbing issues whatsoever. I'm running spacers in the rear but it has nothing to do with PROPER offset. Purely what appeals to my eye. Spacers wouldn't be my choice if there was a decent choice of rims in 5x108mm.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, mrtn said:

ABS sensor based tire pressure monitoring system.

Do you know how this works? I haven't the foggiest. I have been saving my stock wheels and tires in case I have an inspection issue.......just in case. Don't ever want to put those ugly wimpy things back on my truck.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, Timbo said:

One thing I don't like about these wheels is that they seem to have lug holes for more than one bolt pattern.

They make plugs for the extra holes. You should be able to get black ones if that's your preference. I'm glad you mentioned this cause I like chrome and I have the extra holes too.

3 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Do you know how this works? I haven't the foggiest. I have been saving my stock wheels and tires in case I have an inspection issue.......just in case. Don't ever want to put those ugly wimpy things back on my truck.

Counting rotations from ABS sensor ring and if one wheel is consistently rotating at its own rate you have a flat tire.

8 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

As Mrtn says 14mm isn't that much in way of stress. It is a positive offset of 52.5 and spacers would only add to your issue. Basically as the offset decreases the wheels are pushed out. As long as you're not changing tire size you should have no problem with rubbing. 

Oh, Ooops.  I thought 52mm was the negative offset.  Thanks for the clarification.  

As it turned out, America's Tire no longer produces those 8 spoke, black rims, so I had to order something else.  

It looks like the second set of wheels I ordered only has 5 holes, so the plugs won' be necessary.  Thanks, though. 

fullsizeoutput_5c0.jpeg

Edited by Timbo

The TPMS  on the gen 2  Gives much more information than the ABS system .  This has good point and bad points.  With the right in car set up you can check the pressure and location of a soft tire.  The 2014 TC does not have that , instead you get the its time to panic light. Quite annoying!!

3 hours ago, mrtn said:

You mean when turning? No, it ignores the reading when the steering wheel is out of center.

By staggered wheel setup I mean running different diameter tires in the rear than in the front. Perhaps even radically different sizes. Nothing to do with turning the steering wheel that I know of.

Maybe the pic will help. Sorry for you Ford guys who may be offended.

1969-camaro-z28-pro-street-drag-3.jpg

47 minutes ago, mrtn said:

Oh, you can’t do that on a modern car :)

If I have learned anything in 40 plus years of mechanical design, its that you can do ANYTHING with enough money and time.

Carroll Shelby: "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."

And since Carroll Shelby is/was a god...........I'm going to stay on his side.:worship:

On 1/31/2018 at 4:10 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

They make plugs for the extra holes. You should be able to get black ones if that's your preference. I'm glad you mentioned this cause I like chrome and I have the extra holes too.

Where do you find these black plugs?  The guys at America's Tire didn't have any, and actually laughed when I asked about them, saying they had never heard of them (Nice). :cry:

Maybe I can contact the manufacturer.  Voxx.  

Never mind..  I found several sources.  I just need to figure out what size they are.  

Edited by Timbo

8 hours ago, G B L said:

If the ECU was programmable to take into account the tire size difference then the tire size difference would be not much of an issue. 

Yep. It shouldn't be an issue to begin with. I get heartburn every time you pull a code. Think about the interface system to do that. With all the technology today and car manufacturers provide.........an idiot light.

12 hours ago, Timbo said:

Where do you find these black plugs?  The guys at America's Tire didn't have any, and actually laughed when I asked about them, saying they had never heard of them (Nice). :cry:

Maybe I can contact the manufacturer.  Voxx.  

Never mind..  I found several sources.  I just need to figure out what size they are.  

I didn't know they existed either until you mentioned it. Maybe those guys can't spell Google.

Voxx said they don't make them, but they did tell me the size of the lug bore: 16mm.  

That's a good start.  

I know Jegs.com (performance parts) sells them in chrome, but that doesn't really help in my particular situation.  

I'm going to check OSH this weekend and see if they have any 16mm compatible plugs that will work.  

Always nice if you can find a DYI solution. 

Edited by Timbo

39 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Voxx said they don't make them, but they did tell me the size of the lug bore: 16mm.  

That's a good start.  

I know Jegs.com (performance parts) sells them in chrome, but that doesn't really help in my particular situation.  

I'm going to check OSH this weekend and see if they have any 16mm compatible plugs that will work.  

Always nice if you can find a DYI solution. 

See if these might do the job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G1392BLK-20-Pack-Weld-Wheel-Black-Plastic-Hole-Push-In-Plugs-Draglite-Rodlite/332439820832?hash=item4d66f51a20:g:pFgAAOSwOA1aAHvZ&vxp=mtr

Jegs was where I first saw them and just assumed black would be easy to find since black wheels are so popular these days. Maybe not so much.