Ford Transit Connect Forum

100,000 miles with my 2015 Transit Connect

I hit 100k this week so I thought I'd post an update as I don't see a lot of guys that have racked up some miles post about how they are holding up.  Mine has been pretty much flawless.  I am a sales rep in the motorcycle industry so I needed a vehicle that could hold a lot of catalogs and samples, plus have room in the second row for two car seats for my young boys.  This van has been perfect for my needs.  Mine is a Titanium and I was a little nervous about how all the extra features would hold up but everything works perfectly.  I have had to reset the GPS a couple times as the map would start to show me as driving like 20' off of where I actually was but the reset works great.  Otherwise I had a leak in the roof right when I got it but it was just the rubber plug for the roof rack that was not installed correctly and easily fixed. 

I'm on my second set of tires and I think I have about 20k more left in the General's that I put on.  I also did new 18" wheels when I did the tires just to make it look a little nicer.  As far as servicing I do oil changes at 5k miles with synthetic and I did have the transmission serviced with amsoil I think about 70k miles.  Because I burn up the miles so fast and want it to last past 200k miles I tend to over service it, but I do all the oil changes myself so the cost is pretty negligible.  I am about to replace the plugs this weekend when it warms up but otherwise not much to do to it for now.  I'll probably do the transmission once a year and I have to say when I changed to synthetic tranny fluid the shifts really smoothed out. 

I'm on windshield #2 and already have a little crack in the new one but its not spreading so thats good.  I did get tint applied to the windshield that is essentially clear but makes a huge difference on heat.  I already had the side windows done when I bought it but with the amount of time I spend in the seat it makes a huge difference on hot days with the gigantic windshield these things have.

Still a ton of life left in the brake pads but that's mostly due to me being on the highway the vast majority of the time.  I installed a hitch and put my dirt bike on the back at times and it handles it great. It's just such a flexible vehicle and I can't imagine a better setup for my work and lifestyle.  I just wish we got the diesel one so I'd get a little better mileage is all.

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_0835.JPG

Great to hear about high mileage without major issues.  Like the wheels, I have the 17" and they are intricate = difficult to clean.  How much does your dirt bike weigh?  I've thought about hauling one of my scooters but have held off due to the young weight limit of 200 pounds (for hauling).  Honda Metropolitan is only about 165 pounds and the Elite 110 is about 250 pounds.  Also have a ZX6R 636 but would put it on a trailer - have an old Holsclaw 2 rail dirt bike trailer I'm rebuilding for it. 

The bike is around 230 lbs. I believe the hitch is rated to 500 lbs and the van handles the weight well. For sure I wouldn’t put a ZX6r on it though. I’ve pulled two bikes on a small trailer but for one the hitch hauler is so easy. 

Maximum tongue weight is 200lbs and you reduce that for bike haulers because the weight is further back.  Recommendation from the maker was 1/2 the rated tongue weight.  You can see from the fender/tire gap that the back is sagging heavily.  I wouldn't be happy driving that.  JMO

I've used a hauler on a heavier XR (300lbs)  with a Toyota 4Runner with 750lb tongue weight capacity and you couldn't tell it was there but that was on a very hd vehicle.  Does't the back end bottom on any bump?

Edited by MLB

The bike picture is from my first trial run and just went to the gas station and back. I still had all of my catalogs and samples in the back that are at least a couple hundred pounds. When I take the bike I take all that stuff out and put my gear bag and tools in the middle of the van. I’ve never had it bottom and it doesn’t make the van wander all over the road or anything. And my hitch is rated to 500 lbs tongue weight so I’m right about half that with the weight of the hauler added to the bike. 

Good to know, I've got the factory hitch but looks like the weight limit is more of a GVW and towing capacity issue.  Don't think I'd have any problems with the Metropolitan (50cc scooter) which is 165 lbs .  If carrying the scooter would probably to have any real weight in the van.  For longer trips will take the seats out and put it in the back of the van.  Thinking I'll use a piece of plywood to bolt down to the seat bolts on one side an then strap the scooter to the board.  

Put the new plugs in last night and drove about 50 miles after. The idle seems to have smoothed out a lot. Mileage seems a little better but I’ll see this week how it goes. I track every tank with the fuelly app so I’ll be able to tell pretty quick if they are helping. If I see a definite improvement I’ll start changing them every 50k miles instead. Also I double checked my hitch and it’s actually rated for 400 lbs tongue weight but I’m still at least 100 below that. 

A hitch only has a rating as high as the weakest link or lowest rating. Once a 400# tongue rated hitch is bolted up to a second gen TC van the tongue rating becomes 200#, no matter what the hitch rating is, unless it was less. If whatever is plugged into the hitch extends out further than a normal ball mount then the rating is reduced, ie:  twice the distance is reduced by 50%, more than twice it's even less. Viable information is available, the good old boy theory of "if it fits it'll work" disappeared a long time ago. Be safe people.

I totally agree with being extra cautious with towing.  I've only actually used the hitch hauler twice, I normally use a small open trailer or ride with buddies as I don't like to ride alone.  I will definitely do a little more digging on the hitch situation before using it again.  I roadraced motorcycles for 10 years and have well over 100k miles of towing under my belt with big trailers so I definitely understand weight ratings and stress, I should have looked in the book rather than just look at the numbers on the hitch for rating it sounds.  I know I was surprised of the 400lb rating which is why I didn't get a hitch hauler until 2 months ago.

Trailer.JPG

• 10 months later...

Just an update as I've now hit a little over 150k now and still a very good ownership experience.  I broke another windshield so number 3 will be going in and the trim on the side of the drivers seat where the powered seat controls are has broken near the front but its not exactly life changing haha!  Just need to do a belt change when it warms up in a few days and I'll keep it on trucking.  I had to put on tire set #3 around july as well but the Generals I've been running have been excellent both in performance and life.

Its been a year since I bought mine and it just rolled over 11,000 miles.  No complaints, has been a great vehicle for me and have put more miles on it since my sons car broke and he has been driving my Volt which is the perfect around town car for me.  I changed the oil at 5,000 miles but didn't reset the reminder - wanted to see when it said to change to oil.  It went on at 10,200 miles.  Im going to change the oil this week and will reset it then but don't thing will go 10,00 between changes.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:33 PM, Beta Don said:

No way I'll ever get to 150K with my 2014  -  I'm at 25K now and am averaging about 5K per year

Don

I have had my 2010 for about a month and have put 500 miles on it.  That's a lot for me.  It's still at less than 24K.  The chances are it will be 20 years old before it hits 100K miles.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:53 AM, PhotoAl said:

wanted to see when it said to change to oil.  It went on at 10,200 miles.  Im going to change the oil this week and will reset it then but don't thing will go 10,00 between changes.

You either trust the engineering algorithm, or you don't.  Oil change intervals have been hotly debated for decades.  You could also use the more high cost motor oil which claims that it will be good for extended oil change intervals, then trust the car's computer.  Or, use the oil of your choice, and send the used oil in for analysis to confirm your oil change interval.  Maybe just stick with the old fashion every 3,000 mile schedule, know in the back of your mind that there is nothing wrong with the motor oil, but feel good that you are preventing catastrophic failure because you are changing the oil every 3,000 miles.

3bf97665-d048-4d22-a0c8-413f46fedeee_1.267862532e78169a390a7f6a6efa5c16.jpeg 

Transit Connect oil change message activates between 7000 - 10000 miles.  Or something like that. The vehicle's computer factors in driving style, maybe engine hours for constant idling, and perhaps calendar days for people who just don't drive a lot and your oil should be changed after a year or so.  I think my oil change message comes on every 8 or 10 months..... But I don't quite remember.  Pretty sure the first time was around 8XXX miles and the 2nd was around 16XXX miles.  Or something like that.  Big change from every 3000 miles.  So either trust the engineers and wait for the dashboard message. Or do whatever you want.

Yeah the second gen vans are 10k mile intervals. I do 5k personally. I’d rather ‘over service’ the van and not have failures as I obviously drive a ton and need to be able to count on my van running well and not having down time. I do it myself so it’s not expensive so it’s cheap piece of mind for me.