Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transit Connect Campervan - The best TOAD / DINGHY?

What makes the 2014-Current Transit Connect such a versatile Camper van/vehicle? Let’s start with size, price, ease of driving, ease of storage, easy of cleaning in a drive through car wash, garage-able campervan, great gas mileage, low cost to insure, great daily driver, adaptability…. And they make a great TOAD / DINGHY!

What? An adaptable vehicle? What’s that? For many it is a daily driver- sell or trade in a vehicle for a campervan that can be used not only to camp but for the all-around vehicle. For others, it is a Campervan that also has a large area to haul items that would not fit in the truck of a car, for others it is a Campervan that can get you to the grocery store for shopping- load the refrigerator and be able to run other errands before heading home worried about food spoiling outside of a refrigerator, how about the trip to the park- stove cookware, food and cold beverages already packed…..always ready vehicle! How about the place to take the afternoon lunch nap in the parking lot at work- even a lunch getaway is a nice getaway when a nap is in order. Hmm, tent on wheels that does not need set up, torn down or dried out as soon as you get back from a trip.

How about the full timers, snowbirds, or folks with the big rigs that get parked for extended periods who pull a TOAD / DINGHY? The transit connect campervans are an excellent choice for a TOAD. Weighing under 4000LB these campervans are absolutely the most versatile TOAD / DINGHY’s available for those towing on a dolly. The only downside is they cannot be towed “4 down” for those who prefer the 4-down towing.

DLM-Distribution ~ Campervans of Lake Crystal MN

IMG_20180110_111928494.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use my 2010 TC behind an RV, but I did turn it into a little camper.   Works great.  

Not wanting to hack large holes in the roof, I didn't install the roof vent / fan, but I did mount a Yakima roof rack and install a 190 Watt solar panel, solar shower, kayak rack, awning, and hitch-mounted bike rack.  

I've also got a comfy bed mounted behind the passenger seat, a toilet, water supply, two tables (one that fold out of the wall), and a 120 Volt inverter.  

I don't have an issue driving something huge, I do it every day at work, but I do appreciate the compact size of the TC for ease of parking, great fuel economy, and a good ride.  

Being 6' 4" I really enjoy the extra headroom the earlier models have.  I can comfortably sit on my bed with my legs at a 90 degree angle below me, and not hit my head.  

I can also kneel on the floor next to the bed, but this requires that I tilt my head down a little to avoid the roof above me.   Still, there's plenty of room for changing into / out of kayak gear, or getting ready for bed while camping.  

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is the super-stiff rear suspension.  I'm hoping I can find softer leaf springs to replace the cargo van suspension it currently has.  

It's not a big deal on the highway, but bouncing down dirt roads while scouting out a good camp site, really beats the tar out of me!  

fullsizeoutput_326.jpeg