Ford Transit Connect Forum

Weird starting issue 2010 Transit Connect XLT

nick28

Hey All! I'm having an issue I've read a bit about but haven't been able to fix! My Transit has seemingly random issues starting. Will be fine for a week. Then leave you stuck in a parking lot for 10min. Then be fine again. Had it serviced twice, parts in ignition replaced, same problem. 

I posted a video of this issue happening on youtube called- Ford Transit Connect 2010 starting issue

Any ideas really appreciated! Thanks!

Should be this one known issue - corrosion in charging cables. Check the battery terminals and the extra grounding cables between the terminals, body, engine and the alternator. Mine snapped mid drive because the battery was not fastened well and had moved yanking the cable all day, the engine cut out with a bang and also showed two red idiot lights. Reattached the cable with jump leads and got home.

Appears to me to be an issue where the battery voltage drops too low when load is put on it.  A bad internal connection in the battery can do something like this, not sure about the self healing though.  Cables, including ground connection points, engine to body etc.  Power relates like starter solenoid might cause this.  Puzzling part is the intermittent nature.  Those problems are the most difficult to diagnose.  A voltmeter in the cigarette lighter or connected to the battery (don’t hardwire one without a fuse) can give insight into what is going on.  

A careful systematic approach can save lots of time and money.  Had a motorcycle that I replaced the battery on, then it quit on a couple of days later, replaced voltage regulator, finally turned out the problem was the stator (alternator).

Sounds to me like the 'standard' bad connection of the cables on the battery.  This causes an intermittant high resistance connection which comes and goes.  Buy a battery post brush, clean everything with baking soda and then use the wire brush to clean both the posts and the inside of the cable clamp.  While you're at the auto parts store, they also sell little felt washers which you put around the posts before you put the cables back on.  Those washers will keep it from happening again

Don

Edited by Beta Don

This is a nice post. It has the year of the vehicle, what the problem is, corrective steps taken so far, and even a video to demo the problem. Welcome to the community nick28. Hope you get this worked out. 

I would go with what everyone else has stated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your helpful responses! And thanks for the kind words BSUPC. 

I started with the easiest fix and figure I'll work up from there. So far I bought the special brush and cleaned the terminal posts and clamps. I added the felt washers and bought some grease/lube that should help the connection stay solid for a while. 

Happy to report it's started fine ever since! Hope this remains the case. If not I'll get into the more detailed fixes you guys gave. 

Thanks again! 

Edited by nick28