Ford Transit Connect Forum

2012 TC Build- Cross country adventure van

I live and work in Brooklyn, NY so the TC is a great solution to having to street park and still have an adventure van. I bought the van with 77k miles for $8300 USD. Iam going to be going cross country for the next two months and making a film about it. I just started the build and so far I have put in a sound system, reverse camera, maxxair fan, electrical system/battery to charge off the alternator, RTIC cooler-basically a yeti, roof rack, top case, insulated with reflectix/ polyiso board. In the next few days I will be adding cedar siding, slick locks for the doors and full size bed framing.

Will be posting more photos soon. Let me know if you have any questions on the build.

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

Perfect timing.  It is winter.  You don't have to go anywhere.  "Test Drive" it by sleeping outside for a week.  Perfect, since you're already street parking.  A buddy of mine has chosen to spend nights out in his driveway, sleeping in his Subaru, so that he can make adjustments as needed for things like his bedding, adding power, trying to charge with a solar panel on his car's roof, et cetera.  He figures that if he can "live" in his car during the winter, it will be perfect for summer road trips and camping.

Iam actually heading south. I just drove from Brooklyn to Chicago. Now in Indianapolis finishing the build. From here I will go to Nashville, Atlanta, Charleston, Savanna, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Miami, New Orleans, Dallas, Santa Fe, San Diego and Los Angeles. Two months total. I will be sure to post from the road.

Almost done with the walls and ceiling. Decided to go with 1/4in aromatic cedar panels. I used 1/4in pine trim boards as boards to mount to. The pine trim boards were connected to the TC by self tapping screws. 

I just made a cardboard cutout of the side doors as template. I glued together some cedar boards with pine trim supports for that section of the wall. Tomorrow I will jigsaw the shape of the template and mount them to the doors. I insulated the behind the whole van with reflectix and polyiso board. 

More photos to come. Let me know if you have any questions. 

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

Ive never seen anyone vent wall panels in a van before. Ive only seen people treat the wood with different stains and sealants. 

I didn't want to seal it because I was worried I would lose the smell. What are my options? 

Me neither but having seen moisture building up behind fixed  panels in cars I can’t get the image out of my head.

I have no idea what to do. Farm boy logic says I would drill holes in the bottom and near roof for convection to do the job but it may have the opposite effect. I talked to the contractors building my house, they say that a tight insulation prevents condensation buildup. Again, I have no idea but I would love to hear from anyone competent for the time I (possibly) decommission and start building mine (my 2012 wagon).

How sweet it is!  Enjoy.  My son just returned with his 2012 build, elevated bed, storage, stereo.  He racked up 20000 miles with no problems.  He spent seven months on the West Coast.  He loves the TC.  :love_shower:

Been on the road for ten days now. No problems sleeping in residential areas. 

I put slick locks on the doors. I have expensive camera gear under the bed. Almost impossible to get to when you can't open the side or back doors.

IMG_3107.jpg.30e69beafb2a2908cf5f302c489e75f1.jpg

• 1 month later...

My 74 day trip is coming to an end.  A lot of lessons learned, new friends made and already thinking about my next trip.

5500 miles so far. Currently staying the night in Ocean City, MD. Then heading to Philly and back to Brooklyn, NY.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-David

1.JPG

IMG_4106.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

stopssofar.jpg

John,

I did some research on memory foam mattresses and found that there are only a couple places that make them. The rest is all branding. I got a full size memory foam mattress on amazon that is only 6 inches tall

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBPG153/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was very comfortable the whole trip. I will probably trip it down a bit behind the driver and passenger seats so that they can go back further.