Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rain sencein windshield?

Does a 2016 Transit Connect have a rain sensing windshield? I am asking because my rain sensor was replaced because my automatic rain sensing windshield wipers were not turning on automatically. After the sensor was replaced the the automatic windshield wipers  still do not work. The dealer told me the van probably had the original windshield replaced and when they did so they didn't use the correct rain sensing windshield and that is why the automatic wiper function will not work in my van. I wanted to ask you all the experts if there is some truth to what the dealer has tolld me ? thanks for any input

I can't really answer your question, but can add that my 2014 XLT Wagon has rain sensing wipers.  I'm pretty sure it was an option (and this XLT seems fairly loaded with options...). It's really handy for the misty seattle area.  Putting the wiper stalk in "wipe/intermittent" mode lets the rain sensors figure how how to adjust the intermittent delay (and I believe, also the wiper speed) without having to fiddle with the manual control.  Very nice feature!  This car is new to me, haven't had it yet even 2 weeks.  Good luck

Edited by jakeru

Is the windshield made by Ford (it will have the logo)? If so, how can it be wrong (a question for the dealer).

My 2016 XLT has a rain sensor sensitivity adjustment knob on the right stalk.

Go to the Ford ETIS website and get the factory configuration for your TC based on the VIN.

• 6 months later...

My 2016 Titanium has them and they are very nice.  I went and looked, there is a sensor you should be able to see from outside the windshield.  It is in the mount for the rear view mirror.  Most of the mounting area is a black coating but the sensor has a clear opening about the size of a quarter.  I’d be going back to the windshield company.

It’s a bit confusing to me as to how they work.  Haven’t read the manual - I’m an engineer!  It’s like they work in what I would call the intermittent position.  The nob on the wiper seems to adjust sensitivity or how frequently the wipe.  If left in that position they will go from off to high speed wipe depending on how hard the rain.  I’ve had them start up when going into a car wash as I forgot they were in the first or intermittent position.

On my friend's BMW, that sensor always fails.  I went with him to the dealership, and saw the dealer spray the windshield with a hose.  It worked about half the time.  Since it was BMW, dealer ordered a new sensor from the factory, and had it installed, while he drove off in a loaner.  He never thought about it again, until the next rain.  Same problem.  Dealer ordered another sensor.  

I guess that technology has not yet been perfected by BMW or Ford.

No, it's missing the panoramic roof and full leather (it has combined leather and Alcantara) but it has rain sensing wipers and lane departure control with servo steering. It can go for miles without intervention following the speed of the car in front and adjusts for merging traffic. It rattles the seatbelt and beeps for me to grab the steering wheel tho.