Ford Transit Connect Forum

New 2016 Transit Connect Wagon

PhotoAl

Picked up my new 2016 Transit Connect Titanium last Monday.  Really excited about the van and have lots of uses planned for it.  They range from hauling my twin 4 year old grandkids around to hauling my scooter to the racetrack and camping it it to hauling my motorcycle around.  I'm retired and am a semi-professional road race photographer shooting primarily cars and motorcycles.  At the track a small scooter is the best way to get around with all of the camera gear.  With the seats out either of my scooters will fit in the back.  Haven't tried but the Honda Metropolitan would probable fit with the seats folded.  Also have a Kawasaki NINJA ZX6R 636.  My wife has plans to use it to haul stuff that won't fit in her Smart car.  She has yet to drive it as she is a bit apprehensive about the size.  I think that's kind of funny as she drove a GMC Safari for many years hauling our kids around.  My current car is a Chevy Volt.  

Had been looking for a while at new and used TC's and found a few which met my criteria using a 500 mile search radius.  For vehicles which are slow selling they are hard to find.  Desired features were backup camera (Volt doesn't have one and is hard to back up), if new wanted Sync3 radio, if used didn't care as much would go aftermarket, 6 passenger (reclining middle seats), towing package, roof crossbars and no sunroof.  Found the 2016 and the dealer came off over $7K dollars so I bought it.  It has towing package but no roof crossbars, myTouch Sync radio with navigation and backup camera, 17" wheels and leather seats.  Had to drive to Knoxville TN ((250 miles) to get it and took the opportunity to spend a couple of nights in the Smokies.  Drove to Cades Cove and did a 5 mike hike (easy and short according to my wife).  Being new I didn't push it but was very impressed with how it went around curves.  Wife did not get carsick which she usually does.  The following day we drove 300 miles going back home.

Initial impressions:  Drives very nicely, firm but not bumpy, quiet if the rear fan is low or off, some wind noise about the same as my Volt at 75MPH.  Brakes and handling are good for a van.  As many have said it drives like a car and I totally agree.  Have not accelerated real hard but power seems to be adequate, better than the Volt on the interstate.  Everything is relative as my motorcycle gets to 60 in about 3 seconds and can do a sub 11 second quarter mile.  I'm having to get used to looking at a gas gauge, stopping at gas stations and using the key to unlock and start it.  My daughter has a Honda Odyssey, a nice van, but a tank compared to the TC.  I can live without the power doors and lift gate.   Looking at the dimensions the TC is 12" longer and 2" wider than my Volt.  The Volt will still be used for short trips around town and a backup.  

Planning on getting the public domain scan tool for Fords along with the PDF manual.  I have a Volkswagon scan tool and it has been great for diagnosing my VW's ( currently down to 2 kids cars plus son-in-law).  Other plans include changing lights to LED, ceramic tinting for windows to help with heat during the summer, making a floor for use when the seats are out and making a bed for camping.

smadjDSC01290.jpg

@photoal - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new TC. Looks great.

Cool pic too with the moon rise in the background over a nice mountain range.

Sounds like you had a fun intro road trip to get acquainted with the van. Enjoy!