Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Prairie Dog

No LED trailer lighting?

Just read the manual for my 2014 TC Titanium and it says "the electrical system ... is not suitable for towing trailers with LED lights". I don't really want to revert back to incandescent fixtures, so what happens if I do plug in LED lights? And why on earth would it not be compatible?

Thanks.

You may get a bulb failure message because the current draw on the LEDs is low. 

Actually, the TC's electrical system isn't compatible with ANY trailer lights and the same is true of most newer vehicles.  The solution is to install the trailer light module on your TC and then you can use any lights you like on the trailer.  The module uses a separate 12 volt source to power the trailer lights and a circuit board in the module uses the van's turn signal voltage to switch the 12 volts on and off to power the trailer lights.  I use LED's on my trailers with the module and they work fine

Several threads here about those who have installed the trailer towing package  with the module -  If your Titanium came with the factory trailer hitch, the module for the trailer lights should also be there from the factory

Don

I  used the Curt trailer module when I put a hitch on my TC. The Wells Cargo trailer I own has Led lights and they function perfectly .  The two other trailers without led light also function normally.  

Edited by G B L