Ford Transit Connect Forum

No LED trailer lighting?

Just read the manual for my 2014 TC Titanium and it says "the electrical system ... is not suitable for towing trailers with LED lights". I don't really want to revert back to incandescent fixtures, so what happens if I do plug in LED lights? And why on earth would it not be compatible?

Thanks.

Actually, the TC's electrical system isn't compatible with ANY trailer lights and the same is true of most newer vehicles.  The solution is to install the trailer light module on your TC and then you can use any lights you like on the trailer.  The module uses a separate 12 volt source to power the trailer lights and a circuit board in the module uses the van's turn signal voltage to switch the 12 volts on and off to power the trailer lights.  I use LED's on my trailers with the module and they work fine

Several threads here about those who have installed the trailer towing package  with the module -  If your Titanium came with the factory trailer hitch, the module for the trailer lights should also be there from the factory

Don

I  used the Curt trailer module when I put a hitch on my TC. The Wells Cargo trailer I own has Led lights and they function perfectly .  The two other trailers without led light also function normally.  

Edited by G B L

• 7 months later...

I have a 2016 Titanium TC with the factory towing package.  My trailer has led lights from Amazon, have not had any problems at all.  No bulb warnings or anything.  Not sure if anything changed from 2014 to 2016 models.  The led lights are straightforward and properly wired (did it myself).  They do not use the trailer chassis as a ground but rather the ground wire is connected to each light.

I bought my adapter/module from E-Trailer.  I need to look up what I actually bought, though.  (I can't find the paperwork that came with)

It works okay, but it doesn't shut off.  If the trailer's plugged to the van, the lights are on.  The van's off, the key is in my hand and I'm looking at lights on.

The first time, the regular "parking" lights turn OFF when I turned on the van's parking lights.

Now, though, they stay on and everything works appropriately, except I can't leave them plugged in while I go fishing.  I don't believe the LED's would drain the battery ... I'm just not sure what IS going on, so I don't leave them hooked up.

Tekonsha 118613 14 Transit Connect T‑One

4.767 user reviews
Sponsored

Shop now

$41.93·TrailerJacks.comFree shipping, no tax
$44.95·etrailer.comNo tax
$41.78·eBayNo tax
$45.80·Jet.comFree shipping
$51.41·WalmartFree shipping
$37.29·Autoplicity.comNo tax
$39.21·RV & Auto Parts
$48.99·21 MotorsportsFree shipping, no tax
$45.31·Hitch ProNo tax
$55.27·Rakuten.comFree shipping
Product details
T-One Connectors require no splicing of wires. Simply locate your vehicles wiring harness connector, unplug the connection and insert the T-Connector into the vehicle's harness.

Mike There is something is a miss with your trailer  wiring adapter  Most of the modules have a power  line supplies power . it does not load the actual light circuit in the car so the lights flash at normal speed.