Ford Transit Connect Forum

Turn off back up sensor?

framebinder

I pull a small utility trailer now and then and when backing up, the sensor goes nuts. Anybody done a switch or the like to temporarily turn it off?

Overall, I like the sensor.

Thanks

From what the manual states, the reverse sensor is disabled when you hook up the trailer lights. I assume that its for the overseas variations and that its also factory installed. If you could find a wiring diagram for the factory wiring you may be able to wire yours in a way that would disable it.

If it works off of a separate speaker (I wouldn't know mine hasn't worked at all and its going back to the dealer soon) you may be able to put a switch in front of it.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

On my UK RHD model, the speaker is attached to the front of the reversing module under the dashboard. Because I have added front parking sensors in the front bumper, I wanted to make the difference between front and back more obvious. On my BMW, the rear senor speaker is behind the driver in the rear trim, whilst the front one is under the dash. I extended the cable on the rear speaker in the Connect, mounting it above the rear wheel arch area behind the panel. Now I know if it's the front or back sensor activated. If you were to break the connection to the speaker, then a switch could easily be fitted for trailer use. Of course, there is no failsafe if you forget to re-activate it again. Ooops!

T230 Limited 110 diesel, Clifford alarm, sat-nav, rear view camera, HID headlamps, front park sensors, leisure battery with onboard charger, fully fused 12V distribution, mains distribution, diesel night heater, carpeted ply floor, insulation, LED lighting.

Andy UK

• 6 months later...

On my UK RHD model, the speaker is attached to the front of the reversing module under the dashboard. Because I have added front parking sensors in the front bumper, I wanted to make the difference between front and back more obvious. On my BMW, the rear senor speaker is behind the driver in the rear trim, whilst the front one is under the dash. I extended the cable on the rear speaker in the Connect, mounting it above the rear wheel arch area behind the panel. Now I know if it's the front or back sensor activated. If you were to break the connection to the speaker, then a switch could easily be fitted for trailer use. Of course, there is no failsafe if you forget to re-activate it again. Ooops!

I'll go looking for the speaker and fit a switch.

The sensor has been driving me nuts lately as an ice storm covered the sensors and they are wailing away in reverse.