Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Willygee

Intentionally leaving FOB inside my 16 TC XLT and using my other FOB to gain entry?

I have been leaving spare fob on the mat and using my other fob to gain entry(fob always stays clipped to my belt)...once inside grab fob off the mat and use it to start vehicle. Am i violating protocol possibly draining vehicle battery(has not occurred) or draining the fob battery? So far all is well with all operations.

I think you are good from the Tc's standpoint. A possible downside is providing a potential thief access to the key.

I got four FOB's with the van so I have two FOB's stashed , one inside and one outside, and have not experienced any problems.

One advantage of the TC is that you can keep the FOB inside and still lock the doors. Some vehicles don't let you do that to prevent you from locking your FOB inside.

Speaking of secret hiding places for a single FOB...thinking of a waterproof container or bag but where to hide it? My 97 ram van class b(sold) spare entry key inside of tail lite housing.

That will take some thought.  Don't tell us    :doh:

The FOB has a transmitter that allows the vehicle start. Leaving a fob inside will allow the van to be started by punching the ignition or other criminal means. I want to hide a key under the body but need to find a way to block the disable/enable signal.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:41 AM, Willygee said:

I have been leaving spare fob on the mat and using my other fob to gain entry(fob always stays clipped to my belt)...once inside grab fob off the mat and use it to start vehicle. Am i violating protocol possibly draining vehicle battery(has not occurred) or draining the fob battery? So far all is well with all operations.

1 hour ago, Don Ridley said:

The FOB has a transmitter that allows the vehicle start. Leaving a fob inside will allow the van to be started by punching the ignition or other criminal means. I want to hide a key under the body but need to find a way to block the disable/enable signal.

Correct, the chip inside the key placed in the vehicle will allow the vehicle to be started and drivable. In other words leaving a spare key inside will cancel or turn off the electronic anit-theft function. You can disable the chip inside the key by wrapping the key in aluminum foil.........I did this on both my Subaru and Ford Ranger, tested it and it did the job.   

6 hours ago, Willygee said:

Speaking of secret hiding places for a single FOB...thinking of a waterproof container or bag but where to hide it? My 97 ram van class b(sold) spare entry key inside of tail lite housing.

That's what I used. First put the FOB inside a ziplock baggie and then inside a waterproof container I picked up online. I can't find the paperwork for that, but the size is important to make sure the FOB fits, but not too big. I sealed the container with tape to make sure it stays closed and to ensure the seal. I'll PM you with a hiding spot.

My main motivation for stashing a key outside was because I rely on the keypad for entry when at the beach and I don't want to get stuck if it malfunctions somehow. Backups are good.

1 hour ago, desert_connect said:

Correct, the chip inside the key placed in the vehicle will allow the vehicle to be started and drivable. In other words leaving a spare key inside will cancel or turn off the electronic anit-theft function. You can disable the chip inside the key by wrapping the key in aluminum foil.........I did this on both my Subaru and Ford Ranger, tested it and it did the job.   

I never considered the anti-theft aspect. Good posts desert_connect and Don R.  :thumbsup:

I will fish out my FOB's and do some foil wrapping. Besides, I need to redo my tin foil hat anyway as it's getting a bit tattered :sneaking: