Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

williaty

How can you tell if a van has SYNC?

I thought this was an easy question but I'm no longer sure that it is. I thought that because my van has the AM/FM/CD radio with the full keypad including the PHONE button, that meant that it had SYNC. This is the radio unit I'm talking about:

Ford-Transit_Connect_Wagon-2014-1600-06.

However, when I push the PHONE button to attempt to arrange pairing, I get a display that says "AUDIO MUTED" and no option to pair, reset, or anything else.

Does this mean my van doesn't actually have SYNC?

My 2016 display looks slightly different. It is not as monochrome as yours. My center console has the sync logo near the cigarette lighter.

You might not have the Bluetooth module, in this case the phone button acts as a mute button in most cars.

Bluetooth and Sync are not synonyms.

Damn, I thought if you had SYNC, you had bluetooth. Ford's ordering options are just stupid!

Would have thought as well. Have you checked ETIS if your Connect was equipped with Bluetooth?

OK, found ETIS. Seems to have little to no data about my van. It looks like it's a UK thing as all the outgoing links are to ford.uk domains.

2 hours ago, williaty said:

I thought this was an easy question but I'm no longer sure that it is. I thought that because my van has the AM/FM/CD radio with the full keypad including the PHONE button, that meant that it had SYNC. This is the radio unit I'm talking about:

Ford-Transit_Connect_Wagon-2014-1600-06.

However, when I push the PHONE button to attempt to arrange pairing, I get a display that says "AUDIO MUTED" and no option to pair, reset, or anything else.

Does this mean my van doesn't actually have SYNC?

Same radio that came in my 2014  -  It's the next to cheapest option of them all (the only thing cheaper doesn't have the CD) and no Sync for sure  -  If you did have Sync, there would be a badge bragging about it  ;-)

The phone button is working as designed  -  When your phone rings, press the button and the stereo goes silent

I replaced mine with a Pioneer Nav unit and now I do have Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles

Don

2 minutes ago, williaty said:

OK, found ETIS. Seems to have little to no data about my van. It looks like it's a UK thing as all the outgoing links are to ford.uk domains.

No, it's global, it should list the full configuration of your van.

There is a website where you put in your VIN and it tells you everything that came on the vehicle.  I don't have a link to it, but when I checked out mine shortly after I bought it, I learned all sorts of things about the van that I didn't know

Don

Just now, mrtn said:

No, it's global, it should list the full configuration of your van.

Nope, doesn't list any info at all. Googling it, there's threads in other Ford owners forums about how ETIS is euro-only and, on the rare occasions when it does list info about USDM cars, much of it is wrong.

Yep, I entered my VIN, no it doesn't have any information, yes, that's the same function many other US Ford owners report as being wildly inaccurate.