Ford Transit Connect Forum

leather seat covers

MLB

I hate the velcro like nature of the fabric on my seats relative to my dogs hair.  i want to add a seat heater and thinking I'll go all out and get a leather seatcovers for easier cleaning.  Anyone replaced with anything they'd recommend or know of a good supplier for reasonable prices?  

I've used cordura seat covers in my last 2 vehicles and love the durability and easy cleanup. I work at a water plant and sometimes after working extra shifts fixing a leak I just hose off the majority of the mud and head home still wet and dirty. Just a damp rag does the job cleaning up whatever ends up on the seat covers. If I remember correctly, here's the two places I got them from:

http://www.gtcovers.com/seat-covers/fabrics.asp?fabric=waterproof

https://www.coverking.com/heavy-duty-ballistic.html

It's a good idea to add seat covers. Like DonS, I added them because of water/sand from a wetsuit at the beach, but I'm always snacking when I'm driving and it's amazing how much food ends up on the seat. They are not 100% waterproof, more like water resistant, which is okay for my purposes.

I got my seat covers from Seat Covers Unlimited, link below.

http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8P632Miw1wIVg25-Ch2rvAjIEAAYASAAEgIF2_D_BwE

I got the Neo-sport covers in black for the driver and passenger seats (cargo version).

I think I chose this outfit because I wanted to get a map pocket on the seat backs and not everyone offered that option. I really like having them on both sides.

The pair cost $257, which isn't cheap, but they appear to be well made, have a nice custom fit and have velcro tabs where the airbags are located.

Good luck!

There are 'seat covers' and then there is seat reupholstery which is what I think he's talking about  -  He doesn't want to cover over what he has . . . . I think he wants to take off the OEM upholstery, install seat heaters and then install new leather upholstery

I did this to my Miata many years ago  -  Quite a project!  I bought a set of Katzkins for about $500 which fit the seats perfectly and it looked better than factory stock when I got them on, but it was quite a job.  I think you get what you pay for when it comes to aftermarket leather upholstery and a set to do the front buckets in a TC might run you a good bit more than the $500 I paid 15 years ago

IMO, swapping the OEM upholstery which attracts dog hair for leather which I doubt would look good for very long when the dogs claws scratched them up *might* be an expensive mistake, but to each his own.  I've never had a dog in any of my vehicles, but if I owned one that I regularly took with me in the van I think I would be looking for something more practical than leather

Don

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 7:48 PM, windguy said:

It's a good idea to add seat covers. Like DonS, I added them because of water/sand from a wetsuit at the beach, but I'm always snacking when I'm driving and it's amazing how much food ends up on the seat. They are not 100% waterproof, more like water resistant, which is okay for my purposes.

I got my seat covers from Seat Covers Unlimited, link below.

http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8P632Miw1wIVg25-Ch2rvAjIEAAYASAAEgIF2_D_BwE

I got the Neo-sport covers in black for the driver and passenger seats (cargo version).

I think I chose this outfit because I wanted to get a map pocket on the seat backs and not everyone offered that option. I really like having them on both sides.

The pair cost $257, which isn't cheap, but they appear to be well made, have a nice custom fit and have velcro tabs where the airbags are located.

Good luck!

Just got an emailed Black Friday Promo Code for 20% off in case that helps. See details in the attached PDF. 

SEAT COVERS.pdf

• 1 month later...

Decent leather holds up way better than any fabric and is much easier to deal with dog hair.   I guess if your dog claws things up you might have a problem. I never have with multiple dogs over multiple vehicles. 

Yes Katskins or similar is what I'll do.  I've also done them in a Miata, small world. Prices are similar. 

10 hours ago, MLB said:

Decent leather holds up way better than any fabric . . . . 

I think if you were to prowl around looking at old cars in a few wrecking yards, you might change your opinion  -  They are using some remarkable fabrics on car seats these days.  My OEM fabric seats in the Miata looked better when they were 10 years old than my Katzkins did 5 years later  -  The seatbelts had nearly worn a hole in the leather side bolster . . . . right where you see it every time you open the door!

Leather in cars originated exactly for the reason you gave  -  It lasted much longer than the old mohair upholstery of the 30's and 40's and it became a sign of a higher end, quality vehicle.  But . . . . look at those seats after 15 or 20 years and a hundred thousand miles and it doesn't look so great any longer . . . . even without a clawed animal jumping in and out of it on a daily basis

Don

14 hours ago, G B L said:

How are you Holding up Don?

Well, to be perfectly honest, not nearly as well as the car.  I very seldom drive it any more and I really should sell it rather than just leaving it sit in the garage.  It only has 60K on it and the factory OEM ragtop still looks pretty much new.  When I used to drive it in nice weather, it sat in the garage 24/7 with the top down and if it even looked like rain, I drove something else.  When the weather got 'iffy' I put the hardtop on it for the winter, so the ragtop has seen very little use over those 19 years

At my age, my left hip is beginning to bother me and getting in and out of the Miata isn't nearly as easy as it used to be, so I always choose to drive something else.  We have two electric cars in addition to the TC and all of them are so much easier to get into and out of and that's what makes the decision to drive something else  -  Usually one of the electric cars . . . . plus the fact that I have to move another car to get the Miata out of the garage

The TC probably only gets driven once a month or less . . . . unless we're headed out of state.  Probably why we're averaging nearly 28 mpg with it since we bought it  :love_shower:

Don

12 hours ago, Beta Don said:

At my age, my left hip is beginning to bother me and getting in and out of the Miata isn't nearly as easy as it used to be, so I always choose to drive something else.

I was just at the customer a couple of days ago servicing a printer and the regular “guy chit chat” came down to complaining about stiff hips and too low seat position for long drives. How did that happen? Damn.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/26/2018 at 4:56 AM, mdarren said:

I ordered my seat covers from coverking. The fit is really great.

Their leather looks really "cludgy" in the pics.  Live old full sized van seats.  Scared me off.

On 11/9/2017 at 2:19 PM, Beta Don said:

There are 'seat covers' and then there is seat reupholstery which is what I think he's talking about  -  He doesn't want to cover over what he has . . . . I think he wants to take off the OEM upholstery, install seat heaters and then install new leather upholstery

I did this to my Miata many years ago  -  Quite a project!  I bought a set of Katzkins for about $500 which fit the seats perfectly and it looked better than factory stock when I got them on, but it was quite a job.  I think you get what you pay for when it comes to aftermarket leather upholstery and a set to do the front buckets in a TC might run you a good bit more than the $500 I paid 15 years ago

IMO, swapping the OEM upholstery which attracts dog hair for leather which I doubt would look good for very long when the dogs claws scratched them up *might* be an expensive mistake, but to each his own.  I've never had a dog in any of my vehicles, but if I owned one that I regularly took with me in the van I think I would be looking for something more practical than leather

Don

I live in a major metropolitan area.  There are upholstery shops who will produce brand new seat covers for your car.  They remove the seat.  Remove the fabric of the seat.  Then they can replace the foam padding if you want something firmer or softer.  They measure, cut, and sew on new leather of your choice.  This is extremely expensive, and typically goes onto custom builds.  

https://www.asmautoupholstery.com/story.html

(972) 406-8130
  •  
    A GIRL NAMED
    Sue

Sue was born in Taiwan to a family of farmers where she learned her hard work ethics. Sue moved to the United States in 1984 with her husband and children. In 1990 she got started in the upholstery business with her husband’s 1968 Grand Torino. She and her friend reupholstered it in her garage. From there, she had a business opportunity to purchase an existing upholstery company, going bankrupt, in a 1000 square feet garage in Dallas, Texas. She purchased it for $4,500 and ASM Auto Upholstery was born.

story.html

For years she worked day in and day out, sometimes working 24 hours a day, for 3 to 4 days in a row. Practically living at the shop, sleeping in shifts, 100 percent committed to making deadlines, in an attempt to gain the reputation of dependability and quality. After a few years of work, having gained many loyal customers, ASM grew by renting an additional 1000 square feet of the adjoining slip next door. Eventually she expanded by moving across the street and leased 2000 square feet of a building, with a parking lot.

3 years later she purchased the entire complex, 8800 square feet, which is where ASM remains today. Having gained the reputation for top quality work and unfailing customer service, at the most competitive pricing, ASM is the premier upholstery company in the D/FW Metroplex. With our restoration experience, having boosted us to the top tier of upholsterers, we are now getting restoration shipments from across the country. Sue is an example of the true American dream.

ASM Auto Upholstery, LLC

• 11511 Reeder Road,
  • Dallas, TX 75229
  • Mon - Fri 8 AM - 6 PM
  • (972) 406 - 8130
  • info@asmautoupholstery.com

Copyright © 2018 ASM Auto Upholstery, LLC. Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas.