Ford Transit Connect Forum

Adventure van camper conversion

I have been working with limited time and knolage on a 2016 Transit connect titanium wagon day camper conversion. Thanks to all on this board who have given me help and ideas!  I didn't want to settle for the stock configuration of this van and wanted to take advantage of the space for my personal need of daily driver and weekend worrier. In the process I am learing new skills .I have documented with many  pictures my progress and will figure out  how to upload so others who are interested can see what I have done. I use my cell phone access this board so I find it somewhat  difficult and may be a little slow responding. 

20171029_171546.jpg

This is a picture of the storage cabinets /raised  bed platform test fit and temporary folding  bed/lounger. I will eventually make  some custom cushions and hinged folding bed platform but this will work for next weekend mountain bike camping trip and allow me fo fine tune some ideas 

20171029_172717.jpg

I would like to show the lounger turned and laid flat for a bed but the picture file is to large?  Weird because it's the same as all the other pictures I took with my phone and not having any problems uploaded them ? I will take some more soon and try again. 

Trial run with the adventure van went well . In my design I wanted to leave roolm to put a bike inside easily without having to take a wheel off or lower the seat . That long space also works good for long items like a big tent and . I used the Kuat 4 bike rack most of the time but was happy to be able to put the bike inside for security while hiking or going into town for supplies. 

2017-11-05 21.45.04.jpg

I was able to fit all my camping gear in the van easily plus room for my girlfriends stuff and lots of extra gizmos for camping comfort. Still averaged over 25 mpg crusing at 80+ most of the way lots of hills .Very happy so far with the lay out . The weather was to nice to try out the low watt heater and solar generator. Also no bugs so didn't hook up the window and rear hatch bug screens. But the big glass moon roof was awesome to out  and see all the stars 

2017-11-05 22.52.16.jpg

This wood box mounted to the floor added lots of space for my small camp stove, dry food, and plenty of cooking utensils / pots and pans my girlfrend loved it ! Used a towel to stop any rattling noises. Als box can be used for a passenger to sit on although I will have to add a seat belt . Simple removable lid with small rope pull worked great .cut out for side access will eventually have a door . Black storage  plastic box worked great for support when the bed was folded out almost 6' long gave us plenty of room to stretch out and sleep comfortable 

2017-11-05 23.19.30.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

HI Bart!  I also plan on using my FTC as a mountain biking adventure mobile.  I plan on keeping my bike (Yeti SB140 XS) in the van most of the time.  My most recent plan is to use a fork mount just behind the seats so that the bike will roll in from the side doors.  Love seeing other people's builds and bike ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

This build is coming along really nice!! 

I am also planning an adventure van using a FTC Wagon.  I need to maintain some seating as this is my daily driver and I will need to have people and dogs in the van from time to time.  Now I'm off to find a van!!  UGH.

• 1 year later...

A bike is an unwieldy thing to keep in the van. I think about getting a folding bike, but IMO, they are not as fun to ride as a full size bike. 

I use a wall mount system to hold the bike to one side of the van. I’ve been working on a bed rack on the other side of the van. I pack my gear in milk crates, and the crates hold up the bed.

77B8D8F2-2407-43F0-A160-E721530E2B80.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Brand new with my transit. Love it! Hubby took 2 of the passenger-side seats out. Need to keep 2 of the back seats in, in case want to take people around, but am laying them down to put my bedding  on top. Able to fit my bike in behind the front seats. Have more plans, working on it one weekend at a time. When the mattress arrives, I'll take a picture! ?

52 minutes ago, Gtrgrl said:

Brand new with my transit. Love it! Hubby took 2 of the passenger-side seats out. Need to keep 2 of the back seats in, in case want to take people around, but am laying them down to put my bedding  on top. Able to fit my bike in behind the front seats. Have more plans, working on it one weekend at a time. When the mattress arrives, I'll take a picture! ?

Glad to hear you have plans to do something useful with your van. I like to see them used for utility and function as they were intended.
Lots of threads about bike storage solutions and camping on this forum.

Recently someone asked about installing l-track across the back.

Use the search feature in the upper right corner to learn more. Lots of useful info available here to give you ideas.

PS - sorry, please ignore our sexist banter. Just locker room talk since we are mostly dudes. Refreshing to see a dudette in the family. Welcome!

3 hours ago, windguy said:

Glad to hear you have plans to do something useful with your van. I like to see them used for utility and function as they were intended.
Lots of threads about bike storage solutions and camping on this forum.

Recently someone asked about installing l-track across the back.

Use the search feature in the upper right corner to learn more. Lots of useful info available here to give you ideas.

PS - sorry, please ignore our sexist banter. Just locker room talk since we are mostly dudes. Refreshing to see a dudette in the family. Welcome!

It's all good! I hang out with my hubby & his buddies! ☺️ I just shared all this with him. Funny! 

• 4 months later...