Ford Transit Connect Forum

Trouble Starting -No key detected Anti-theft?

Bigfoot

Hello,

So twice now I have gotten in my 2014 TC and the starter ( I assume) is just clicking. The first time I though it was the battery and jumped it and it did start. Had the battery tested and it was fine.

Happened again ..not quite as bad clicking but did start. I did notice both times the " No key detected " Light came on first. That led me to think it might be an Anti-theft issue.

Any help really appreciated.

Bigfoot

Not sure I can help with your problem, but I do know the 2014 and later TC's start differently from earlier cars

When you turn the key, it doesn't send 12 volts to the starter solenoid like it does on most cars  -  The computer actually starts the engine.  You can momentarily turn the key to the start position for just 1/10th of a second and the computer takes over from there and does the rest.  It engages the starter for long enough to start the engine and it releases the starter when the engine fires . . . . not at all like an 'ordinary' car.   I haven't tried it, but I suspect if you turned the key  to the start position and held it there, the starter would quit running anyway once the engine starts  -  It's controlled by the computer and not the key switch

I think your issue probably does have something to do with the 'No Key Detected'  indication you're getting  -  I think when that's solved, your problems will likely be over

Don

Edited by Beta Don

I'm sure it's part of the theft protection system  -  Used to be you could use a slide hammer, screw it into the key switch, yank it out and start the car with a screwdriver.  Now, the computer does it all and it won't do anything unless the computer recognizes your key

Also, there's no possibility of you running the starter motor when the engine is running (holding the key in the start position a second or two to long) because the computer won't let that happen.  The computer does virtually everything in these cars anyway, so what's one more?

Don

Edited by Beta Don