Ford Transit Connect Forum

Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery

Tom899

Reviving a dead thread here.

It's my turn to replace the aged battery in my 2016 TC 2.5L. Read through this thread and took in a lot of great info. I too am interested in an AGM alternative due to my aftermarket sound system. It's nothing fancy, just an amp and some better speakers. So I took special note of the two kinds of AGM batteries: TPPL vs DC. I found an Odyssey AGM battery that says it's a TPPL type.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm96r-battery-96r-600/ (click on the spec sheet link to find the TPPL info)

It's also the same battery size as the factory: 96R. So it should fit like a glove. I'm picking up the battery tomorrow morning, and will update you all!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running a 75 Amp/Hr. NorthStar AGM under the hood of my XLT for the last 5 years, and I love it! 

I've got a 200 Watt solar panel on the roof, as well as a 1000W inverter mounted in the rear, on the fender.  

It's a great system for day-to-day stuff, like charging my cordless power tools, watching TV, running a fan/trouble light, etc.

I've used it a couple times to power my plastic welder and soldering iron, too.  

The solar panel makes sure the battery is always charged to 100%, and allows me to run things all day while the sun is up, without losing a single Volt.  I can also run thing all night and know that the panel will start recharging the battery in the morning so I don't have to run the engine at all.  That comes in very handy when doing multi-day camping or road trips.  

• 2 months later...

Today I replaced the 12v battery in my TC. I knew I wanted a high quality AGM and after reading through this thread I was impressed with Odyssey's TPPL technology. I installed the Odyssey PC1200MJT. The battery was interesting, as it has a metal exterior jacket and screw on SAE posts. Fitment wise, it's bang on height and width, but 3-1/2" shorter in length. I ended up cutting a short piece of 2X4 to take up the extra space in the bottom of the battery box. It otherwise fit well and tight. I later found Odyssey recommend the Performance version of their battery that is still a bit short in length but much closer to the factory size. You can see it here - https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm96r-battery-96r-600/  Replacing the battery is not a simple drop in, but as a 30 year automotive master tech, it wasn't especially difficult for me. The pictures in this thread prior to mine are accurate. I don't drive my TC a lot as my company provides me with a work TC so sometimes mine sits for 2-3 weeks without being driven. The OEM battery lasted 5-1/2 years, hopefully this one lasts longer. Ironically the battery in my son's Chevy Volt bit the dust a few days later, and I replaced his with an Odyssey also. So, we'll see how it goes.

• 2 months later...

My Transit Connect is 2016.  Battery still seems fine.  It starts without hesitation.  But it's on my mind.  Sooner or later, a new battery will be needed.  

The Motorcraft battery is a size 40 or group 40 battery.  

A size 96 or group 96 battery will fit.  Ford has a group 96 battery, which offers no advantage over the group 40 battery from Ford.  It's just an alternative, if for whatever reason, the group 40 battery is not available.  Ford even has battery spacers so that you can install the group 96 battery into the Transit Connect battery box.

image.thumb.png.4e3fc1514cda32abe1e7a2f3ce675535.png

For daily driving, without anything like a refrigerator, aftermarket sound system, a rooftop refrigeration unit..... I don't need anything more than the OEM battery. 

The OEM battery on my F-150 lasted 9 years.   The Optima battery I replaced it with only lasted 6 years.  The Transit Connect is 6 years old.  I'm hoping that the battery has a few more years left.  

In my case, the OEM Motorcraft battery from the dealership may be the best option.  3 year replacement warranty.  100 month limited warranty.  Less than $150, compared to spending twice that much.  And depending on the mood of the service writer, or if there's some sort of coupon online, there may be a discount on pricing or free installation. 

The other buying option for me, is directly from Interstate.  Interstate Battery has a shop right by the airport.  They have a good warranty, and provide service.  In my case, I will also check with Costco for pricing.  Costco may be able to sell an Interstate Battery for less.  But I doubt that it will cost less than $150 Ford Motorcraft.

The Odyssey AGM battery looks nice.  As does the Duracell.  My only problem with buying a battery online, is when they charge a core deposit.  It's ridiculous to think that I'm spending $50 or more, to send a 50 LB used battery back, to get a $22 deposit.   

21 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

I installed an AGM battery and it is has proven to be no better than the stock battery.

As was the case with my F-150.  OEM Ford Motorcraft lasted 9 years.  AGM Optima lasted 6 years.