Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Tom899

Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery

Hi Don, the only reason I mentioned the “100 month warranty” on the battery I got is to distinguish it between another battery model/quality version offered by Ford for the same vehicle.  This version I got is also branded as their “max” I think, is apparently the higher of the two quality levels, but really it a no-brainer decision for me as the only type that the local Ford dealers seemed to have in stock, the price was good, it had a recent build date, I knew it would fit as good as the original battery fit, and it got my car back on the road in short order after the original battery failed.  But, let’s be realistic - I’m going to assume will get another 4-5 years out of it, nothing more, unless I get lucky.  Expecting a battery ford advertises as “100 month or 80 month” warranty to actually last that long is setting yourself up for disappointment. :)

With this talk about “1/2” taller” and “fits on tight” you guys are talking about for the group 48 AGM battery you found, I sure hope you’ve verified there is nothing metallic above the battery compartment area?  Arcing the battery terminals sure could cause a sudden release of energy and potential for a pretty dangerous situation.  If the battery manufacturer doesn’t actually recommend this battery for our verhicles, probably it being 1/2” taller would be the reason why.  I remember even the original battery to be an extremely tight fit back there.  Even after removing the air filter housing, (both upper and lower pieces.)

I have no doubt that AGM is superior technology to flooded acid, especially for certain uses like rapid discharge/charge.  AGMs can outgas corrosive gas (my last optima did that around the positive terminal and caused a mess of the battery cables before it went.)  Just want to mention that amongst battery options, the genuine battery is actually a pretty good deal (cheaper than most flooded acid aftermarket equivalents I looked at, and probably in no way “worse”.)

17 hours ago, jakeru said:

With this talk about “1/2” taller” and “fits on tight” you guys are talking about for the group 48 AGM battery you found, I sure hope you’ve verified there is nothing metallic above the battery compartment area?  Arcing the battery terminals sure could cause a sudden release of energy and potential for a pretty dangerous situation.  If the battery manufacturer doesn’t actually recommend this battery for our verhicles, probably it being 1/2” taller would be the reason why.  I remember even the original battery to be an extremely tight fit back there.  Even after removing the air filter housing, (both upper and lower pieces.)

The battery is enclosed on all 6 sides in a nylon/plastic case, so if the battery you want will fit inside that case, there is zero chance of anything getting anywhere near the terminals.  The battery case in our TC's has LOTS of unused space in it which does allow for a larger, more powerful battery to be installed.  So long as you can fit it in the case, properly clamped down, there's no danger . . . .  actually much less danger installing a sealed AGM than you would have with a flooded battery which can vent hydrogen gas

If you had an AGM battery that 'outgassed' and caused corrosion, you had a pretty serious charge problem with the vehicle.  AGM's are sealed, though they do have pressure relief valves to keep them from exploding when the charging system goes amok and tries to destroy the battery  -  If you had a flooded battery in there instead of the AGM, it would have quickly boiled it dry, under those conditions.  Not a problem with either battery, but with the vehicle (and it's charging system) that the battery was installed in

Don

Nah, the battery simply was at end of life - nothing wrong with the charging system.

In my experience, and testing, imbalance that develops between the cells (some can have current leakage more than others) can result in some cells being undercharged, and others overcharged (thus, if the situation gets bad enough, causing the electrolyte to boil in the most overcharged cellsnwhen the “simple” 14.4v charming system series-charges all cells with the exact same current).

If the imbalance of any cell becomes bad enough, it can cause boiling of the electrolyte in the overcharged cell, and corresponding pressure build-up, and eventually, acid-vapor release.  (And it doesn’t matter whether the liquid electrolyte is absorbed into a gel or fiberglass mat, or simply in a flooded bath - it can and will “boil” when overcharged to a high enough degree, just the same.)  ‘Flooded’ batteries nowadays are sealed (aka “valve regulated”, VRLA, or “maintenance free”) - just the same way that AGM batteries are.

I’ve drilled holes in old batteries and put multimeters and charging probes on individual cells to better understand this common lead-acid battery failure mode, and I’ve even been able to revive “dead” battery (although only temporarily) by manually balancing each cell, to restore the balance.  It was short lived because whatever condition, like inter-cell current leakage that caused the imbalance in the first place didn’t get fixed, so cause the battery to become imbalanced a few days later.)  Other more “finicky” (and dangerous) battery chemistries like lithium ion have active balancers for each cell.  Lead acid can tolerate a mild bit of overcharging without issue, so tend not to have cell balancers, as the charging circuit and wiring is much more complicated.  A battery will only give good cranking power when it’s cells are balanced and relatively charged up.

In any case, I’m glad to hear you were able to mount your oversized battery without any perceived safety issue.

Yes, I confirm, the AGM battery fit is good, plenty of room all around and especially on top. The plastic cover that fits on top makes sure nothing will ever touch the terminals. It's more protected than most vehicles. In 2019 the TC will have start-stop technology. All Ford start-stop vehicles automatically come with AGM batteries.