Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

williaty

How the heck do you jack one of these things up?

On 10/12/2017 at 8:44 AM, Beta Don said:

I guess if I ran an auto service shop where they would get used everyday, they might make sense, even at that price, but for the average guy who *might* use them once a year . . . . . ??

I suspect that an automotive service shop would not buy such a gimmicky device.  All of these devices are designed around not having a lift.  An automotive service shop would have a lift.  And apparently, some people who have the luxury of space available, also have a lift.  

I also balked at the $300 price tag.  But then again, in hindsight, I am wincing at how much I paid for 6 AllTrade PowerBuilt All-In-One UniJacks.  I originally bought one.  Liked it a lot.  Then decided that I should have 4 for my truck.  Now I have 2 more for the van.  

I don't even want to think about the small fortune I have thrown away into my hobbies over the years.  Cars.  Motorcycles.  Tools.  Sports. Guns.  Drinking.  Girls.  Knives.  Barry Manilow 8 track cassettes.   Dining.  Hunting.  Fishing.  Following Barry Manilow on tour.  Electronics.  Atari 2600.  Polyester leisure suits.  Permed hair.  Gold chains.  

In today's dollars, with the median salary of $52,000 annually; I will waste over $1,000,000 in my lifetime.  Tang rots your brains.  

By now, we've all seen the video clip with Jay Leno promoting JackPoint Jack Stands.

These were designed with small cars in mind.  Low to the ground.  Tight suspension.  This will not be a "one size fits all" for every vehicle.  

With a 2 ton bottle jack, I raised the Transit Connect to 12".  @ 1' of lift at the front jack point, the front tire was still on the ground.  Definitely a statistic to be mindful of when selecting lifting equipment for Transit Connect.  It could be interesting to see how these work on a Transit Connect.

Jackpoint Jackstands are 13 inches high (12.25 inches with the low profile pad), 16 inches wide, and 12 inches deep overall. 

I don't need no $300 jack stands.

stolenwheels.jpg

Used by successful "wheel recyclers" for decades !!!

At least they were kind enough to put it on blocks instead of just dropping it to the ground ...

** Wonder if the guvmint is ever gonna require RFID tracking on cement blocks like they do with explosives and such? Of course, that would just make stealing concrete blocks that much more attractive to the shady crews doing this sort of thing.

Milk crates are surprisingly strong also.

Related imageImage result for car on milk cratesImage result for car on milk crates

Great until you need to remove a tire.  No tire changes, tire rotations, suspension work, or even just to remove the tire so that you can pull back the wheel well to change a light bulb.

http://myliftstand.com/ 

At least this gimmick is safer than guys stacking wood blocks on their jacks.

Close this window

Edited by Fifty150