Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Holy bankruptcy, Batman!  When did spark plugs start costing $10 each?!  :drop:

My question is, do I have to run the plugs the dealer recommends, or can I run whatever I like (that fits the manufacturers requirements)?  

Many (many) years ago I read that spark plugs, unless physically damaged, don't actually go bad.  If you clean them, they're good as new.  

Back then I had a really nifty spark plug cleaner you attached to an air compressor that use a non-conductive abrasive to clean the plug.  It was great!  

Being the cheapskate that I am, I'm having a hard time coming to grips with $10 plugs.  

Assuming you do your own repairs / service like I do, what plugs are you folks running in your TC's?  

Posted (edited)

These Plugs will be good for your Transit connect

NGK 3403 G-Power Platinum Alloy Spark Plug TR55GP

Edited by G B L

Thanks for the tip!

Do spark plugs come in different lengths?  The TC is the first car I've owned where the plugs are deep down inside a hole with a long, rubber plug that connects to them. 

This means the plugs have to be a particular length so the rubber boot at the top of the hole seat properly against the top to seal out water and debris.  

I'm don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm a little curious why these plugs are only $3.39 each instead of $10 each like the OEM plugs.  

No need to buy OEM. You can always find a matching aftermarket plug, they're all pretty much the same in length, give it a millimeter here or there.

The plugs are deep down in the hole for most (double) overhead cam engines. OVH are always in the side of the head, I think.

The length  thread depth, electrode configuration is set when the combustion chamber is designed. The twin cam set up determines the style and location  of the plug.

The pricing is  part cost and part coporate voodoo.

I picked up a set of Motorcraft SP-541A double platinum plugs.  Only thing, they don't say Iridium anywhere on the box.  

They look just like the ones I have now, and the Ford website says that the SP-541A's are the correct plug for the 2010 TC, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.  

Just thought I'd mention it.  

Don't worry about it. Iridium is a platinum metal.