Ford Transit Connect Forum

Mobil 1™ Annual Protection motor oil

Willygee

• 2 months later...

Have not seen that before but haven't been running much Mobil 1.  There is a thread on Bob is the Oil Guy https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4282675/New_Mobil_oil....M1_Annual_Pro which discusses it.  Seems to be a long life oil but nothing new about Mobil 1 have an annual oil change interval.  I try and change the oil before the manufactures recommended oil change mileage and if not up to that point then within a year.  Plan for the TC is to go with Ford's recommendation.  I've thought about changing the oil before 1,000 miles to get rid of break in particles.  I like the oil monitor concept.  have been using it on the Volt and it's nice.  With 5 cars, a motorcycle and two scooters it's hard to keep up with when what was changed.  

I'm using Castrol Edge Extended Performance  -  "Protection for up to 15,000 miles".  I'm changing it every year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first

I used to be a believer in Mobil products, but after Exxon bought them out, I haven't used anything they make.  After half a dozen trips to Alaska, the way Exxon went about dealing with their ecological disaster up there still burns me up  -  Namely, they paid millions to huge teams of lawyers to get out of cleaning up the mess they made and making a fair settlement with the thousands of Alaskans for the damages the spill caused to their lives and careers.  BP on the other hand did the opposite.  Thousands of miles of shoreline were cleaned foot by foot and fishermen and others who were negatively impacted were made whole

I vote with my pocketbook and have no use for Exxon or Mobil  -  There are many more reputable companies competing for my dollar

Don

• 6 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 10:25 AM, Beta Don said:

.  BP on the other hand

BP was Anglo Iranian Oil Company....back in 'da day.

I am guessing that there has to be some fine print, which limits the number of miles driven within 1 calendar year, and excludes any commercial vehicle, vehicle with extended idle, towing, off-road use, racing, et cetera.  Surely you couldn't use that oil for 1 year, in every vehicle.  I think that almost every synthetic oil is good for 10,000 miles.  But most of them will still suggest that you follow your manufacturer's guideline for oil change intervals.

Since all Petroleum based and synthetic oils are actually sufficient for MUCH longer periods than listed, all companies could make this claim. 

However, since most users exceed the listed change intervals, companies under rate their oils to ensure the oil is still functioning whenever the user gets around to changing it.

Hmmmm......thinking about how my brother in law drives about 600 miles daily, that is 3,000 miles a week.  Imagine that yearly oil change. 

My daily commute in my own vehicle is only 20 miles round trip.  It would take 2 years before I get 10,000 miles.  

Let me know, if at 7,000 to 10,000 miles, your dash displays indicates that you need an oil change.  That means the tech at the dealership "forgot" to reset your "Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor".  I still don't trust that onboard computer to tell me when to change my oil.

Checked the dipstick today.  Changed oil about 1,000 miles ago.  Still very clean.  Almost like new.  What I have come to expect from using synthetic oil.  In the old days of using dinosaur juice, 1,000 miles would make your oil look like it needed to be changed again.  That was also back when people did oil changes every 3 months, or 3,000 miles.  

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/engine/know-when-to-change-your-engine-oil.html

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor

IOLM is a feature found in your vehicle’s instrument cluster message center. IOLM notifies you at key oil change intervals by displaying alerts such as “Engine Oil Change Soon” or “Oil Change Required.” The system also alerts you when your fuel filters need maintenance or fuel pressure is low.

IOLM uses an algorithm to calculate your oil change intervals based on actual engine operating conditions. The system must be reset after each oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature “Oil Change Required” alert.

For specific IOLM applications, please refer to your Owner's Manual. IOLM is now available in the majority of 2011 and later model-year Ford vehicles.

knowwhentochangeyourengineoiltile0subtile4mediareferencedesktop

Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you use synthetic oil, it must meet Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in your Owner’s Guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM.