Ford Transit Connect Forum

Towing equipment questions

So I'm new to the forum after lurking for awhile. Purchased a 2017 TC LWB Wagon Titanium in July and after much consideration of what was available selected the one we purchased that did not include the towing package. I did this mainly after seeing the hitch and a light interface module were available as accessories directly from Ford and figured it was something that could be more easily added unlike some other options like the heated windshield and traffic sensors etc.

So after researching here and elsewhere it seems the accessory lighting module sold by Ford is quite different than the factory installed light interface module. I have the official instructions that were posted here and they do seem somewhat onerous to follow exactly. Having to splice the wiring in by soldering seems kind of crazy in this day and age. Also looked at several aftermarket modules (Curt etc) that have there own issues, mostly due to having the module installed on the left side of vehicle instead of the right (where the fuse box actually is). So I may use an aftermarket module for the short term as it is easily removable.

I happend to stop by another dealer and looked at a 2016 commercial transit connect LWB that has a factory hitch and took a photo of the factory module and then went to the parts department to see what that part was and if it was available. They are doing some research for me now and I hope to hear from them next week. See attached photo

The module has a part number printed on it DT1J-19H378-BD and that seems to cross to this part number(s) shown in second photo DT1Z-19H332-E or DT1Z-19H332-G (depending on production date). Still not sure what wiring is required. What is interesting is that the wiring does not seem to tie to the existing tail light wiring at all is is most likely a module on the CAN bus and gets its trigger signals that way. I wonder if this module also works in Europe where they use many more than 4 pins by default on trailer connectors. I also wonder if this is really required to get the automatic sensing of a trailer be connected to disable the parking and traffic sensors?

So my big questions are these:

Can the "factory" module be installed with the required wiring to a Transit Connect that did not have them from the factory?

Can the "sway control" function be added/enabled regardless of what lighting module is used - Factory - Ford Accessory - Aftermarket ?

Does anybody know what parts are required to add the factory setup if it is possible? 

37253453591_2a8df61a81_c.jpg37253455331_edf11cd26e_c.jpg

Edited by AVguy2

Thanks for the reply although I'm not sure if any of my questions have been answered.

The factory installed towing module is a CAN bus module like most of the other electronics in modern cars. The accessory module that Ford sells in the US is not a CAN bus module and cannot function the same way. I see that on most Ford vehicles in Europe they do sell the CAN bus type module so it can be added afterwards. I'm not sure why that would not be the case for the TC. I really don't understand the logic of NOT using the factory type module in the case of adding a hitch later on like I am doing. I mean the plastic trim needs to be removed by the rear fuse box anyway to mount the non CAN bus interface in the same general area so why not provide the same factory interface and cables so it will be just like a factory equipped TC. Just seems kind of dumb to me. The factory module is what senses a trailer being connected and enabling the sway control.

27 minutes ago, AVguy2 said:

Thanks for the reply although I'm not sure if any of my questions have been answered.

The factory installed towing module is a CAN bus module like most of the other electronics in modern cars. The accessory module that Ford sells in the US is not a CAN bus module and cannot function the same way. I see that on most Ford vehicles in Europe they do sell the CAN bus type module so it can be added afterwards. I'm not sure why that would not be the case for the TC. I really don't understand the logic of NOT using the factory type module in the case of adding a hitch later on like I am doing. I mean the plastic trim needs to be removed by the rear fuse box anyway to mount the non CAN bus interface in the same general area so why not provide the same factory interface and cables so it will be just like a factory equipped TC. Just seems kind of dumb to me. The factory module is what senses a trailer being connected and enabling the sway control.

Just a guess.  In Europe you cannot pull a trailer of any size or weight without functioning trailer brakes and  *maybe* the TC CAN bus on vehicles equipped with the factory tow package can access the trailer brakes for sway control?

Here in North America most trailers under 2,000 pounds don't have brakes and since the TC isn't rated to tow any more than 2,000 pounds adding a fancy module designed for trailers with brakes would not be a popular enough add on option to make Ford want to stock all the parts to enable that option?  Here, I would guess 98% of us towing trailers are using just the 4 wire electrical connection like the Curt aftermarket trailer light module

Just my guess

Don

32 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

Just a guess.  In Europe you cannot pull a trailer of any size or weight without functioning trailer brakes and  *maybe* the TC CAN bus on vehicles equipped with the factory tow package can access the trailer brakes for sway control?

Here in North America most trailers under 2,000 pounds don't have brakes and since the TC isn't rated to tow any more than 2,000 pounds adding a fancy module designed for trailers with brakes would not be a popular enough add on option to make Ford want to stock all the parts to enable that option?  Here, I would guess 98% of us towing trailers are using just the 4 wire electrical connection like the Curt aftermarket trailer light module

Just my guess

Don

While what you say is true about the 2000 pound limits in North America is true, factory equipped TC's do have the CAN bus module so they do have to keep spare parts in inventory in the US anyway so why not just publish what is needed and make them available to folks who want to do it the "factory" way. 

This brochure https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_TransitConnect_Sep7.pdf  which is clearly intended for the US says that to tow a trailer over 1500 pounds you need the following:

1: A four pin lighting trailer harness

2: A rated hitch receiver

3: Trailer sway control

These items are shown as "required" not just recommended.

Our TC Wagon has just about every option except the towing package. I just want to make it like a factory install. It should be possible without having to jump through hoops.

I for one think that having trailer brakes even on small trailers is a great idea and would love to have the european setup with the 13 pin connector. That too should be possible with the right parts.

I will continue to research this issue. When and if I am able to get this setup installed, I will document it and post here.

By the way the cost of that replacement CAN bus trailer module in the US is about $95 (This compared to the Ford Accessory module at about $65). The four pin harness is about $25. I just need to know what other harnesses are needed to complete the system.

Edited by AVguy2

I will look forward to your progress.

My TC did not come with a trailer package so I opted for a Curt hitch , wiring harness and mechanical sway control.   I regularly tow 3 different trailers that go from 1300-1800 lbs.  The towing performance has been very good. The sway control is especially good because it reduces the sway, rather than making the TC out think the trailer.  

The other added bonus is the Curt Receiver is flush to the rear bumper.

Having Brakes would be nice I think a brake controller would not be too hard to wire if the need does arise.

I too am following this with interest. I looked at the instructions here for the after-delivery Ford trailer wiring part and couldn't believe how stupid it is! When I wanted to add a hitch to my Subaru, I just plugged in the light controller to the existing wiring in the rear end and instantly had a trailer hookup. No splicing, no removing trim, didn't take more than 10 minutes.

17 hours ago, AVguy2 said:

This brochure https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_TransitConnect_Sep7.pdf  which is clearly intended for the US says that to tow a trailer over 1500 pounds you need the following:

1: A four pin lighting trailer harness

2: A rated hitch receiver

3: Trailer sway control

These items are shown as "required" not just recommended.

Our TC Wagon has just about every option except the towing package. I just want to make it like a factory install. It should be possible without having to jump through hoops.

Lots of good info in that brochure!

You can get all three of the required items aftermarket without buying anything from Ford *and* you won't have to splice any wiring . . . . . but I do understand your frustration

The brochure says 'Contact your Ford dealer' and I think you are probably running into the same thing I have on many occasions at the two dealerships closest to me  -  The people you are talking to don't know off the top of their heads what you need to resolve your issue . . . . and sadly they just don't care enough to dig into their books to get the answers for you.  There are several threads on this forum which document 'over the top' assistance from really great dealerships, but unfortunately most of us just don't have access to a dealer like that.  Good luck in your quest and posting your solution here will help many of us who don't have one of those great dealers nearby

Don

Edited by Beta Don

11 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

It looks like you should be able to order Ford Towing Package 53T . . . . . if you can find a dealer willing to look it up for you

Don

53T is the order code to add it during the build of the van. It's not a parts code in the parts chain.

2 hours ago, williaty said:

53T is the order code to add it during the build of the van. It's not a parts code in the parts chain.

This is my understanding as well.

I did some poking around on the Ford UK site among others and came across these items:

https://www.jenningsmotorgroup.co.uk/shop/view/1940155-ford-transit-connect-trailer-rear-module/

md_860b86672d00427.jpg

https://www.jenningsmotorgroup.co.uk/shop/view/1929278-ford-transit-connect-electrical-kit-for-tow-bar-13-pin-connector-detachable/

md_e550df9075f9469.jpg

This is just a generic image not a TC specific image.

The module is certainly the correct style module just not sure if it is identical to the US spec version. The 13 pin trailer connector is the standard in Europe and can certainly be adapted to the US type connectors as needed.

I called the dealer and they are still working on it and they say they will call me tomorrow.

That will give lots of info I hope you post the diagrams.

I have to say I am a aftermarket person so I never considered the Ford towing equipment.

The harness adapter I used was a Curt unit and was plug and play with the added power lead to the right rear fuse box. 

Here's the sections from my 2015 diagram and the connectors look to fit that same module.

BTW: That taped in diagram on the last photo is a diagram I created by reading the Ford instructions for tha accessory add-in trailer wiring kit and noting where the wires are tapped into the existing circuits. If you look at the top right of that diagram, the S405 connection that I whited out to make room for my sketch is the same S405 connection on page 95-1 of the middle photo and provides the stop signal from the BCM to the module.

20170927_075141 (Large).jpg

20170927_075231 (Large).jpg

20170927_075240 (Large).jpg

Edited by DonShockley

Clarification to my last post since it won't let me edit it: My selfmade diagram is the one on the right in the last photo. The S405 connector is in the top left of that add-in page.

Did some more looking, that S405 connector looks to be near the left tailight and the 4397ABC connectors near the right taillight. Here's some photos I took back in 2015 when I was doing my project that show the area where the 4397ABC connectors should be and it doesn't look like they are present. But then again these photos weren't taken while looking for them.

20150806_225556 (Large).jpg

20150806_225622 (Large).jpg

3 hours ago, DonShockley said:

Clarification to my last post since it won't let me edit it: My selfmade diagram is the one on the right in the last photo. The S405 connector is in the top left of that add-in page.

Did some more looking, that S405 connector looks to be near the left tailight and the 4397ABC connectors near the right taillight. Here's some photos I took back in 2015 when I was doing my project that show the area where the 4397ABC connectors should be and it doesn't look like they are present. But then again these photos weren't taken while looking for them.

20150806_225556 (Large).jpg

20150806_225622 (Large).jpg

Thanks for posting all of that info. Very helpful. Will be interesting to see if the 2017 diagrams are the same (I suspect they will be).

Hope to hear from the dealer sometime today about what they have been able to dig up.

On 11/6/2016 at 7:43 AM, Don Ridley said:

I found a source for the TC service manual and wiring diagrams on one of the Ford forums (maybe here?)

https://www.factory-manuals.com/

I purchased the 2016 TC manual for about $70. It is a 7000+ page .pdf file.  The manual appears to be a .pdf version of the Ford service software. The manual vendor gives  you a printout of your TC configuration based on the VIN. 

The manual is very detailed and somewhat "bulky".  The table of contents is too generic (section1, section 2 etc instead of names like lights, horn etc.)  and appears to have lost the specific tags that may have been in the original application. The "hot links" in the manual don't work (e.g. section 43.5 will be in bold font and you should be able to click on it to jump to that section). There are thousands of pages of trouble shooting tables. It takes a while to browse each section to the overall layout. The manual explains how each component works and also explains some of the programming in the ECU. For example, did you know there is an aux electrical heater for the cabin heat that turns on when the ambient temperature is less than 48 deg F and the heater turned to max? The location of every plastic tab on the panels are shown in 3-D color diagrams.  Overall I am very satisfied with the manual.  

The wiring diagrams are in color and are exactly what I was looking for.  The section on the configuration of each electrical connector is missing but the wiring diagram identifies the pin number for each wire on a connector.

You can make unlimited copies of the .pdf file. Something "bad" is supposed to happen if you share the file. The site appears to be legit and I think it was $70 well spent.  

Just a reminder to those new to the forum. The schematics are most useful and are in color. But, I do miss the ease of flipping though pages and writing notes on a page.

2 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

Just a reminder to those new to the forum. The schematics are most useful and are in color. But, I do miss the ease of flipping though pages and writing notes on a page.

Does the service manual show actual part numbers for wiring harnesses and modules? If it does what does it show for the 2016 TC's for factory trailer installations?

TIA

So just came across this on fleet.ford.com. Interestingly it shows a 7 pin trailer connector diagram as well as the 4 pin.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2017/2017_Transit_Connect_-_Specs.pdf

And another interesting item:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2017/2017_Transit_Connect_v1-0.pdf

Edited by AVguy2

Most of trailers here have only have combined brake, tail and turn signal lights.

The  harness adapters for sale add power and combine the light functions.

The 7 pin connector adds 12volt power and  electric brakes.

Edited by G B L