Ford Transit Connect Forum

Extended Idle gas usage

Boomerweps

Get this. Lots of family issues going on. My wife comes home from the dentist after a partial tooth rebuild, hour & a half in the chair. Leaves the TC outside the garage, 3PM. We take my grandson to his tutor, 4-5:30PM in my Explorer, wife locks her car from the passenger side before we go. Get home, park about a car's width from the TC, go in, have supper. Wife goes outside to smoke on the porch at 9PM, asks me why the TC's lights are on. Also wonders where her keys are. They were in the TC, which was locked, running for SIX hours. Had just filled it the day before and she only drove about 8 miles since then. Gauge now shows 5/8 full. 

Damn, that TC is QUIET at idle! I had to unlock it to verify the engine was running on the tachometer.

I know i plan on leaving mine running with the ac or heat on at rest stops or travel centers while sleeping...maybe for several hours.I used to use mr buddy propane heater in my retired dodge B2500 with a CO detector .Worked ok but you had to crack a window open and there was always an odor.