Ford Transit Connect Forum

turn off or shorten duration lights are on

22 hours ago, JoeMan said:

I'm sorry your still getting the run around it is such a simple fix with the right knowledge being handed to them. Why do they dealers risk making you go to someplace else or to another brand? I'm just glad I got mine done as I smile every time I open the doors and the lights don't come. To me it would be worth it any ways to spend the money to correct the problem because what I mainly want the van for is camping and astronomy pursuits and I hate any unnecessary lighting  anywhere period. With what I already spent on a roof rack and adding a battery and some other items that would be a small price in the grand scheme of the build :spend:. Speaking of builds maybe I better start a build thread when I get a chance.

@JoeMan - Thanks for sharing your thoughts and empathy. You are spot on in your thinking.This dealer handled this whole repair or lack of very poorly. Funny how I didn't get a repair survey afterwards. Coincidence? I still may pursue this with another dealer with a different angle this time. If I do decide to pay for it I won't be having the work done at the local dealer. They don't deserve any compensation after jerking me around. Good Will works both ways.

YES, you owe us your own build thread. Please share with lots of pics. 

9 hours ago, cynar said:

Your screenshot shows "History" (in grey), to the right of "Modules". Click on that. This gives you tracking of actions.

Thanks Cynar.

When I select the History Tab, nothing shows up. See screen shot below

5a2b40d455579_FordEtisSoftwareSummary12-08-17.thumb.jpg.7a00d6c1dd04f576235509c44ef925cf.jpg

Edited by windguy

"There are no sessions for the selected VIN" probably means that your car has never been connected to the Ford servicing software. Which in turn means, of course, that no attempts to make any updates have taken place. Ever.

The good news is that you now have identified a means to verify statements made by dealers or garages.

• 2 months later...

A big thanks to Mickster(and others) for providing the info that helped me resolve this issue.Here is a recap:

I called the service dept at the dealer where I bought the vehicle before my first service was due and gave "my story"

( My wife and I camp a lot and I have built a camp kitchen that my wife uses through the rear doors.Whenever we open the doors,all the perimeter lights come on which light up half the campground.The lights stay on for 9 mins.I timed them.I feel this is rude to other campers and this is an embarassment for my wife.We often camp with my 11 yr old granddaughter and you know what kids are like.I stated that I participated in an online TC forum,others had the same complaint,some were able to disable this feature under warrantee,I had a copy of a factory SSM on how to disable this but it required a reprograming of the BCM.I want to have this done when I bring the TC in for sevice.)

The service rep didn't have a clue and passed me to the "truck guy".Gave my story again.He also had no clue and when I mentioned "dark mode" he went silent for a moment and then asked what that meant.I explained.  He then said that when I came in for my service to bring in a copy of the SSM.

A month later I called to arrange for " The Works" ( oil,inspection,tire rotation etc.) and gave my story again.

Showed up early,talked about the service and other issues,handed over the SSM and gave my story.The next rep over looks over and laughs " You're the dark mode guy".They got together and wrote up the service request as though I was complaining about battery drain.We then chatted for a bit about who we know and how the dealership had grown.The usual crap.His name was Bob.

I picked up the truck that night,place was mobbed but everybody was smiley.They charged for service but adjusting the headlights up ,a recall issue and upgrading the "PCM" were under warrantee.Should have checked.

Well I did check when I got home and no change in the perimeter lights.

Called Bob the next day,gave my story, pointed out the difference between "BCM and PCM" and he said he would get together with the service manager and see what they could do.Please email a copy of the SSM.

Got a call from the dealership two days later.A woman wanted to know how my "experience" was.She said that I would soon receive a email survey from Ford and she hoped I would give the dealership high marks.I gave my story again and she says Bob told her about it and they were working on it.

I soon got the survey but did not respond.

A week after the first call I called Bob again.Still working on it.Didn't have to give my story.I thanked him for his help and said I really hoped we resolve this issue.

I got a reminder about the survey.  Delete!

Bob called two days ago and I was not optimistic.  "When can you bring it in"

"Thursday at 7am" "Fine" he says

I show up a 6:55.Door is locked.Sign on door says service dept opens at 7:30.  I go sit in the truck.

Bob comes over about 10 mins later and says "Show me"   I did.

He says shop foreman will be in soon and I'll get back to you.  I sit in waiting room.

About 7:30 Bob comes over with the shop foreman who says show me.

I showed him and told my story.He says "OK" hops in th TC and drives away to the bays.

10 minutes later he's back and says I'm all set.  Finally done.

No paperwork.No charge.  The first tech did upgrade the BCM but did not find the proper box to check off in the program

This was not a small dealership,but this was the first time  dealing with this.

I guess Ford is not very forthcoming about this issue.The service personnel are constantly playing catch up with the technology and it's not getting easier.

Persevere,laugh,tell a story,be polite,come equipped with  knowledge and don't piss anybody off.   This can be solved.

I filled out the survey and gave the the highest ratings.  I hope they remember me.

@jackgrimshaw - congrats on getting the dark mode enabled. What year is your TC?

I'm jealous. I've now gone to two different dealers and neither one can figure out how to properly execute the SSM. So frustrating.

With the second dealer, the first appointment (1.5hrs) later resulted in no change. Went back a 2nd time after they updated their computer and had two different techs give it a try. Two hours later, same result, no change. Service Advisor showed me a printout showing that the approach lights were disabled but it doesn't work. Service advisor said he'd check with Ford but it's been over a month now. I wish I could have my service advisor contact the tech that was able to get yours done for a consult on how to do this. I've all but given up hope on getting this change made. When I check my vehicle under Ford ETIS, it shows the BCM version as never being updated. Still shows the factory build date and no change history. If the dealer updated the BCM, as required to make this change, I would expect to see that update under ETIS per what a previous poster had shown.

I'm on a Mustang forum and people are changing all sorts of things in the BCM using a program called Forscan.Its working with a lot of other Ford products

NOTE: x's are not to be changed (ignore), just change the positions indicated by letters/numbers/?        
Description Module Line Action Contributor/Verified By:
12v Powerpoint Timeout (Default) BCM 726-39-01 : 1194 xxxx xxxx Enable (Default-74 minutes 44 seconds)  
12v Powerpoint Timeout (Immediate Timeout) this changes the 12v power outlets on the dash and in the center console BCM 726-39-01 : 0001 xxxx xxxx Calculate different timeout periods DeltaNu1142
Auto-Relock - If you unlock your car by remote/fob, but don't open a door, then vehicle re-locks after 45 seconds BCM 726-15-02 : 0101 0101 01xx Enable solodogg
Auto-Relock Option in Instrument Cluster (Note: must set Auto-Relock to enable in BCM also to get auto-relock option to work) IPC 720-01-01 xxxx ?xxx xxxx Change ? To: 1-Disabled (off-default), 5-Enabled (on) solodogg
Base->Sync3 Swap, Enable Drive Mode Toggle EB&V6 ABS 760-02-02 : xxxx 1xxx Enable  
Base->Sync3 Swap, Enable Drive Mode Toggle GT noPP ABS 760-02-02 : xxxx 3xxx Enable  
Base->Sync3 Swap, Enable Drive Mode Toggle GT PP ABS 760-02-02 : xxxx 7xxx Enable  
Base->Sync3 Swap, Enable Drive Mode Toggle Part 2 IPC 720-06-01 : xxxx xxxx x8xx Enable  
Base->Sync3 Swap, Fix Hazard Toggle BCM 726-29-02 : xxxx xxx0 xx Enable  
Blindspot Option on IPC - Enable/Disable (if you have the driver/passenger Blindspot mirrors) IPC 720-03-01 ?xxx xxxx xxxx Change ? To: 2-Disabled (off), 6-Enabled (on) solodogg
Cross-Traffic Alert (Note: This only changes what is displayed on the Instrument Cluster, you still not hardware changes for functionality) IPC 720-01-01 xxxx xxxx ?xxx Change ? To: 6-disable, 7-enable  
Door Ajar Chimes IPC 720-01-02 : xx?x xxxx xxxx Change ? To: 0-Disable (off), 1-Enable (on-default) gt_stang
Double Honk Reminder (Engine On, No Keyfob) BCM 726-41-02 : xxx? xxxx xxxx Change ? To: 0-Disable (off), 1-Enable (on-default) AngelDeath
Engineer Test Mode   https://youtu.be/StYM-b8cos8 Press and hold Left 'OK' button on Steering Wheel, Start Car, Continue holding Left 'OK' button until Engineer Data shows on Instrument Cluster NasaStang
Lights - Fog Lights Off with Turn Signal BCM 726-28-02 : xxxx x1xx xxxx Enable AngelDeath
Lights - Fog Lights Stay On when using Turn Signal BCM 726-28-02 : xxxx 0000 xxxx Enable AngelDeath
Lights - Simultaneous High Beams & Fog Lights BCM 726-27-01 : xxxx xxx0 xxxx Enable AngelDeath
Lights - Simultaneous High Beams & Fog Lights BCM 726-27-01 : xxxx xxx1 xxxx Disable AngelDeath
Line-Lock Enable/Disable (GT Only) ABS & IPC Must enable/disable on both modules Enable/Disable using the FORSCAN Drop-down menus dave-
MFT - Navigation Enable (Note: You still need a Nav license file and the Nav SD card installed in your car-See separate Tab at bottom for steps) APIM 7D0-01-02 x?xx xxxx xxxx Change ? to: 0-Disabled (off), 4-Enabled (on) solodogg
MyColor Power - Door Sills : Convertibles Only (allows you to control the color of illuminated door sills) BCMB 7B7-01-01 : xxx2 xxxx x3xx Enable Nemesis911
MyColor Power & Support BCMB 7B7-01-01 : xxx0 xxxx x0xx Disable  
MyColor Power & Support (hardware required) BCMB 7B7-01-01 : xxx2 xxxx x2xx Enable  
Navigation In Motion - Enable/Disable (Note: This will also disable Sirius Travel Link/911 Assist) APIM 7D0-02-01 : x?xx xxxx xxxx Change ? to: 5-Disable (off-default), 7-Enable (Non-US Region)  
Panic Alarm On Fob Disabled BCM 726-37-01 xxxx xxx0 xxxx Disable  
Panic Alarm On Fob Enabled BCM 726-37-01 : xxxx xxx2 xxxx Enable  
Panic Alarm On Fob Requires 2 Presses BCM 726-37-01 xxxx xxx1 xxxx Enable  
Police Dark (Stealth) Mode - keeps your interior (and Pony) lights off when you enter/exit/turn off vehicle BCM 726-32-01 : xxxx x?xx xxxx Change ? To: 0-Disable (off-default), 1-Enable (on) AngelDeath
Rear Axle Ratio (3.15) BCM 726-12-01 : 013B xxxx xxxx Enable  
Rear Axle Ratio (3.31) BCM 726-12-01 : 014B xxxx xxxx Enable  
Rear Axle Ratio (3.55) BCM 726-12-01 : 0163 xxxx xxxx Enable  
Rear Axle Ratio (3.73) BCM 726-12-01 : 0175 xxxx xxxx Enable  
Rear Axle Ratio (4.10) BCM 726-12-01 : 019A xxxx xxxx Enable  
Rear Parking Aid Option on IPC - Enable/Disable IPC 720-02-02 ??xx xxxx Change ?? To: 08-Disable (off), 1A-Enable (on) solodogg
Remote Window Open - Press and release unlock on fob, then press and hold unlock button (NOTE: Remote Window Close will not work due to hardware limitation) BCM 726-17-02 : x?x? x?x? x?xx Change ? To: 0-Disable (off-default), 1-Enable (on) Redraven571
Secure Idle - Enable (Automatics Only) BCM 726-42-01 : x1xxx xxxx xxxx If car is running and fob is removed, shifter can't be moved from Park  
Speedometer Correction - Change tires/rearend BCM 726-12-01 : xxxx ???? xxxx Change ???? To: value as calculated in the link to the right Spart
Stereo Extended Play APIM 7D0-01-01 : xx?x xxxx xxxx Change ? To: A-Off, 2-20 minutes, 3-30 minutes, 4-40 minutes, 5-50 minutes, 6-60 minutes  
Sync 3 - Change colors of buttons on bottom of screen (volume overlay and music track progress bar colors also change) NOTE: You will now get 'Ford' shutdown screen APIM 7D0-03-01 xxxx x?x? xxxx Change ? To: x0x2 dotJake
Sync 3 - Display Soft Climate Buttons (Seat Cooling & Heating & Heated Steering Wheel) on Home Page APIM 7D0-01-01 : xxxx xxxx x?xx Change ? To: 0-Disable (off), 1-Seat Cooling, 2-Seat Heating/Cooling, 3-Seat Heating, 4-Heated Steering Wheel, 6-All  
Sync 3 Startup Animation APIM 7D0-02-01 : xxxx x?xx xxxx Change ? To: 2-Ford, 3-Black Label, 4-Raptor, 5-Mustang Pony, 6-Mustang GT, 7-GT350 Gray, 8-Vignale, 9-GT350R Red, A-Ford  
Tire Mobility Kit Option on IPC - Disable/Enable IPC 720-03-02 ?xxx xxxx Change ? To: C-disabled (off), D-enabled (on) solodogg
TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) - Disable/Enable BCM 726-08-01 : x?xx xxxx xxxx Change ? To: 0-Disable (off), 1-Enable (on-default)  
Turn Signal - Hyper-Flash Disable (turns off the quick flash of turn signal if you have a turn signal bulb out/broken - great for folks upgrading to LED bulbs) BCM 726-27-01 x?xx xxxx xxxx Change ? To: 1-on (default), 0-off (no hyperflash) D24112
Turn Signal - Lane Change # of Flashes (quick/temporary movement of turn signal lever) SCCM 724-01-01 : xxxx x?xx xx Change ? To: 0-3=1 flash, 4-5=2 flashes, 6-7=3 flashes, 8-9=4 flashes, A-B=5 flashes, C-D=6 flashes, E-F=7 flashes  
Vehicle Chimes Location (where vehicle chimes are heard from) IPC 720-01-01 xxxx xxx? xxxx Change ? To: 0-Internal IPC speaker, 4-ACM/Vehicle Speakers (default) solodogg
VIN # BCM 726-09-01 VIN #: (first 5 characters in ASCII converted to Hex) fionic
VIN # BCM 726-09-02 VIN #: (character 6 of VIN in ASCII converted to Hex) fionic
VIN # BCM 726-10-01 VIN #: (characters 7-11 in ASCII converted to Hex) fionic
VIN # BCM 726-10-02 VIN #: (character 12 in ASCII converted to Hex) fionic
VIN # BCM 726-11-01 VIN #: (last 5 characters in ASCII converted to Hex) fionic

On 2/20/2018 at 7:30 PM, Willygee said:

This one gets decent reviews...still researching if it will work on a 16 gen2 TC.

https://www.amazon.com/OHP-ELMconfig-compatible-interface-diagnostics/dp/B01F0GVBWY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I wish I had seen this before you bought it, I had difficulties using one of these.  It wasnt able to upload the secondary boot loader, or something else for the as-built-data data transfer and I ended up getting a OBDLink MX wifi and havent had any problems with it since.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-MX-Wi-Fi-Diagnostic/dp/B00OCYXTYY

Thanks for the links.  Mine will be here tomorrow.  I thought about the wifi and bluetooth but prefer a wired connection.  I have a 4 year old Dell notebook with Windows 7 that I'm going to use with it so we shall see.  Hopefully I'' have an update tomorrow night or Saturday.  

Windguy,I have a 2016 lwb cargovan.

Did you print out a copy of the ssm for the tech.It seems to give a detailed description of the procedure.Did you give them any paying work?Was this where you bought your TC?I think those were points in my favor and what gave them the incentive to go above and beyond.

I have thought about this for a while.I am reluctant to share the dealers name in case I need a favor again.I apologize if some may think that's a crappy attitude and hope you understand.As someone who worked for the same small business for over 40 yrs,I have found that repeat customers and personal relationships are better served and result in future business and referrals.

9 hours ago, JackGrimshaw said:

Windguy,I have a 2016 lwb cargovan.

Did you print out a copy of the ssm for the tech.It seems to give a detailed description of the procedure.Did you give them any paying work?Was this where you bought your TC?I think those were points in my favor and what gave them the incentive to go above and beyond.

I have thought about this for a while.I am reluctant to share the dealers name in case I need a favor again.I apologize if some may think that's a crappy attitude and hope you understand.As someone who worked for the same small business for over 40 yrs,I have found that repeat customers and personal relationships are better served and result in future business and referrals.

Thanks for your post.

Yes, I printed out a copy of the PDF I posted earlier from others input just for that reason. I showed it to the service advisor but he wouldn't take it, even on my insistence. He did show me the identical information on his computer screen under the SSM in the Ford system so I relented to his methods. Presumably that's what the tech was reading. Did the tech follow these instructions? Hard to say.

The work order was done under the 3yr warranty so payment wasn't an issue. And no, not done at the dealer I bought the van at. I've never been back to that dealership as they are a ways away with numerous Ford dealers in between. I only bought it from there because they were enrolled in the Costco auto buying program. No reason to go back.

The one difference between your van and mine might be that vans built after 12-11-16 already have the updates for the dark mode loaded in their BCM version. Prior year vans need to have the BCM updated first as step one of the SSM, and that's where I think they are failing to get this done properly as Ford ETIS does not show my vehicle's BCM as being updated since the factory build date.

Edited by windguy

Update, my OHP ELMConfig USB tool arrived yesterday so I spent the evening washing and waxing the Volt!  Almost didn't survive to get computer from son-in-loaw but after surviving a near miss got the computer.  It's a Dell XPS 13" that's about 4 years old and is running 64 bit Windows Pro.  Read the instructions on the OHP site, a bit scary, but plowed ahead and remembered my engineering background so closed that window!  Plugged the module into a USB port and it was immediately recognized and Windows started searching for drivers.  I let it go ahead nd search for the drivers using Windows update.  First was a port driver like for a serial port and then a UISB driver.  There were no issues, next I downloaded the free Forscan tool and installed it.  Again using standard configuration location etc.  Next I plugged the device into the OBD port on the TC, then plugged the USB cable into the computer (I unplugged it from the computer when I waled to the TC).  Turned the ignition key to the On position and then started the Forscan application.  Took some fumbling around, had to switch the switch on the OHC unit a couple of times - up was the correct position.  The down position is maybe a demo mode.  There are connect and disconnect icons on the bottom left of the Forscan window.  I clicked on the Connect icon and it connected.  Next it went thru and produced a list of modules - don't know but appears to be working.  The mileage is in km and looked to be correct (with me doing quick math in my head).

Almost didn't get the computer.  My wife was busy painting artwork so I headed out for a late lunch at Chick-fil-A.  It was warm so got the Honda Elite scooter 110cc 52mph and rode it.  Had a brief rain shower which got the streets wet but I had my rain jacket on.  Went up a steep hill with a 20mph speed limit that most people do 30 on.  at the top there is a left hand turn.  I'm just entering the turn when I see an SUV going the other way and way too fast.  I photograph everything from gokarts to Indycars to MotoAmerica races and have seen many mistakes.  I instantly knew they were so fast they would not make the turn!  Sure enough the front wheels started sliding and the left front came over the center line about the time I got there.  About that time the front got some traction and the rear started coming around as they went by.  Watched in the rear view mirror as the proceeded to go off the the drivers right or inside the turn.  There was a daily steep uphill bank at that point.  Turned around and went back to see what had happened expecting they rolled.  They slid sideways they grass and came to a stop at a right angle from the street and the rear wheels in the gutter.  When I realized they were OK I had a couple of choice comments like "you almost killed me" as I was feeling a bit of stress.  They maintained they were not going fast - my guess would be at least 40 if not 45 and on their was to a grandchild birthday party.  I hung around till the policeman showed up, could fairly contain my laughter when his very first comment was "you were going too fast".  Driver explained, he said "you were going too fast".  He finally said "if you were going the speed limit you would not have slid off the street"  Posted speed limit is 20 to 25 in that area.  I didn't say anything as the policeman knew what had happened.  They just missed a brick mailbox and a concrete driveway which may have caused it to roll over.  I was wearing a full face helmet and leather gloves.

• 1 month later...

Vancouver Ford in Washington State was able to turn off in software.  Dewayne - at the counter hummed and howled while reviewing my request. I came in with the PDF and a request for dark mode. They got the running lights off with door use. Dark mode for the interior he could not be adjusted to a Police dark mod dimmable interior light. It took more time arguing than the fix took. Zero Charge or $90 flat fee charge to start if out of Warrantee. 2018 Connect XLT. 850 miles. Turn signals and trailer lights need an isolation circuit for LED flashers only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 7:30 PM, Willygee said:

This one gets decent reviews...still researching if it will work on a 16 gen2 TC.

https://www.amazon.com/OHP-ELMconfig-compatible-interface-diagnostics/dp/B01F0GVBWY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

image.png.6004f124c97aeeb3834ddafd696c99fd.png

For what it's worth, this is the ELM that I bought and have used with Forscan & Focccus. The changes I tried to make saved successfully, but didn't actually work for me - I reverted to OEM config until I can get the BCM updated with latest code so I can try my configuration changes again and that will include dark mode. It also cleared DTC's successfully using Forscan. 

On 4/9/2018 at 1:01 PM, jrm223 said:

For what it's worth, this is the ELM that I bought and have used with Forscan & Focccus. The changes I tried to make saved successfully, but didn't actually work for me - I reverted to OEM config until I can get the BCM updated with latest code so I can try my configuration changes again and that will include dark mode. It also cleared DTC's successfully using Forscan. 

Thanks jrm223 and Willygee.

For $30 I'd be willing to get this tool to try it out.

It would be interesting to explore unless I screw something up and the van has to be flat bedded to the Ford dealer :doh: