Ford Transit Connect Forum

2016 XLT TC..front 12 volt receptacle..i would like to turn it 180 degrees.

Willygee

Don - I think he simply wants to rotate the rectangular panel so the outlet is on the right and the blanks for the seat heaters are on the left.  You wouldn't happen to know how to remove the center console, would you?  I have been wanting to remove it to add powered USB charging ports inside the center console.  I can probably figure it out, but haven't tried.  If you know any tricks, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Center.jpeg

13 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

You will need to loosen the center console and access the 12v socket and coin holder assembly from the bottom. You can't pry it loose from the top. What are you going to fill the rectangular hole with?

Like FTCone stated..use the original turned 180 and reinstall..ctr console removal looks vexing..now where is my miniature sawsall that would remove this cleanly:drool:

The center console is easy to remove.

From the service manual:

Removal

1. NOTE: On both sides, as both the drivers and passengers side seats will have to be positioned.

Position the front seat in the full rearward position.
  2. Remove the front console retainers. (see photo Console 1)
    Torque : 41 lb.in (4.6 Nm)
  3. NOTE: On both sides, as both the drivers and passengers side seats will have to be positioned.

Position the front seat in the full forward position.
  4. NOTE: On both sides, as both the drivers and passengers side seats will have to be positioned.

Remove the rear console retainers. (see photo Console 2)
  5. Position the parking brake lever up then unclip and remove the parking brake boot assembly. (see photo Console 3)
  6. NOTE: Cover sides and front of Console to prevent damage from Instrument Panel and seat belts.

• Raise the front console. (see photo Console 4)
    • Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    • Remove the Front Console.
    • To install, reverse the removal procedure

Easy  job. Once you get the console out, you can look underneath to see if you can rotate the rectangular panel to the position you desire.

Console 1.jpg

Console 2.jpg

Console 3.jpg

Console 4.jpg

On 9/12/2017 at 10:31 PM, zalienz said:

The center console is easy to remove.

From the service manual:

Removal

1. NOTE: On both sides, as both the drivers and passengers side seats will have to be positioned.

Position the front seat in the full rearward position.
  2. Remove the front console retainers. (see photo Console 1)
  3. NOTE: On both sides, as both the drivers and passengers side seats will have to be positioned.

Position the front seat in the full forward position.
  4. NOTE: On both sides, as both the drivers and passengers side seats will have to be positioned.

Remove the rear console retainers. (see photo Console 2)
  5. Position the parking brake lever up then unclip and remove the parking brake boot assembly. (see photo Console 3)
  6. NOTE: Cover sides and front of Console to prevent damage from Instrument Panel and seat belts.

• Raise the front console. (see photo Console 4)
    • Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    • Remove the Front Console.
    • To install, reverse the removal procedure

Easy  job. Once you get the console out, you can look underneath to see if you can rotate the rectangular panel to the position you desire.

Console 1.jpg

Console 2.jpg

Console 3.jpg

Console 4.jpg

As well as above i had to remove the 3 parking brake bolts(13mm head) ..this allowed the brake  to be tilted and the console to be removed.

Edited by Willygee
spelling

I should have taken some pictures while I had mine apart.  But, I followed the instructions above and things went smoothly.  I did have to pull up quite hard on the brake to allow the console to come out.  I replaced the cigarette lighter on the back of the console with a 4.2 amp dual USB socket.  The replacement was easy as the new socket fit directly into the hole from the old socket. 

One note: when removing the cigarette plug, you need to push in the two tabs inside the metal tube to slide the metal tube out, then push the tab on the backside of the plastic ring to remove it from the console.  

I also added another 4.2 amp dual USB socket to the bottom of the inside of the console.  Plenty of USB charging capability now.  :)

Thanks again zalienz...   

Happy to help!

I should have added the most challenging part was actually removing the console up and around the parking brake handle. I also had to pull up on the handle as high as possible to get it to clear, and use some creative turning of the console to get it out and back in. It's possible, but you have to find the sweet spot. :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

zalienz, just used your instructions for removing the console, thank you!  FTCOne, I will be using you tips on the plug, thank you.  Willygee, I took a look at the panel and it can NOT be rotated.  The spacing on the screw holes is not the same and the contour on the top is lower on the coin side (but not by much).

2018-08-27 19.21.31.jpg

• 1 month later...

I installed a 12V socket with USB ports in that location.  Parts like that are fairly inexpensive from amazon.com.  The price today, is even less that what I paid 2 years ago.

1047206158_usb01.jpg.1a8e468a5c1da14b5da27dec6893cd11.jpg

• Ginsco Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V Dual USB 2A/1A Charger Power Adapter Outlet for Car Boat Marine Motorcycle Scooter RV DIY Kit (Black)
Roll over image to zoom in

Ginsco Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V Dual USB 2A/1A Charger Power Adapter Outlet for Car Boat Marine Motorcycle Scooter RV DIY Kit (Black)

by Ginsco

Price: $10.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have instructions for removing the center console on a 2014 Transit Connect cargo XL?  My center console does not have the storage bin with lid, just a tray.  I have followed the above steps and removed the 4 screws holding the console down and it moves freely, but even with the hand brake cover fully remove and the brake as "up" as I can get it, the back of the console piece gets stuck on the driver's arm rest, or the front of the console piece gets stuck bumping into the lower dash under the gear shift selector.

So...I started down the rabbit hole of removing the driver's arm rest but I don't want to take apart the whole van just to get to one thing.  Is there another way or am I missing something that will help me get the center console piece out so I can turn it upside down and get the screws out holding the change tray and charger?  I am looking to replace the charger with a USB extension to plug into the charging and apple car play ports on my new head unit.

Pictures very welcome...!

2 hours ago, devryguy81 said:

but even with the hand brake cover fully remove and the brake as "up" as I can get it, the back of the console piece gets stuck on the driver's arm rest, or the front of the console piece gets stuck bumping into the lower dash under the gear shift selector.

Did you try the tip that poster Willygee did with the parking brake?

Perhaps you both have the same seat config in your XL model and need to do this step.

Good luck!

As well as above i had to remove the 3 parking brake bolts(13mm head) ..this allowed the brake  to be tilted and the console to be removed.

Edited by windguy

• 2 weeks later...