Ford Transit Connect Forum

Switching Gen 2 Trans to Synthetic ATF

Beta Don

Got 25K on the wagon now and it's time for a trans fluid change

Was intending on sticking with Ford Mercon LV, but for nearly the same price you can get a full synthetic ATF, such as Castrol Transmax which is rated for use in modern transmissions which require the lighter fluid, like the Mercon LV

I was thinking that instead of the 'standard' 13 quart exchange that since I would be switching to synthetic, I might go one change more and use 16 quarts which should get me closer to a 100% exchange

What do the 'experts' here think?  -  Thanks!

Don

I'm sure it would be pretty clear after 12 quarts  -  What I'm concerned with is getting as much of the conventional ATF out and as close to 100% synthetic in there as I can

I bought 16 quarts of the Castrol Transmax full synthetic for $88 at Advance Auto  -  Think that's cheaper than the Mercon LV from Ford

Don

Supposedly the 6F35 holds 9 quarts total and a little more than 4 quarts drains when you pull the plug.  I bought 16 quarts which will do 4 changes, but to get to a 95% pure synthetic level, I'll need 4 more quarts so I can do 5 changes

The good news is . . . .  once I have it switched over to full synthetic, I can just do a quick and easy 4 quart drain and refill each time I do a 10,000 mile engine oil change and my transmission should last a long time!  :love_shower:

Don

Are you guys doing this at home?  Or using a shop with a machine?  I haven't played with my tranny yet  In the old cars that I own, my pickup & my Honda, I used a "homebrew" technique.  Drain pan from drain plug.  Fill from dipstick tube or fill port.  Disconnect cooling line and allow fluid to run into a bucket..  Turn on engine and run a few quarts out, turn off engine, add a few quarts to top off  Repeat process until clean fluid flows through the cooling line, which lets me know that all dirty fluid has been pumped out.  Reconnect cooling line.  Check dipstick.  Fill to proper level.  

Now I'm waiting for the heated automotive fluid debate to start on this forum.  Every car forum has guys who love to argue conventional vs synthetic, brand vs brand, and even guys who will argue in favor of using something other than OEM oil weight.  0W20 vs factory fill of 5W20.  RedLine vs Royal Purple vs Mobil1 vs Wal*Mart.  Then we will have to cut open oil filters, and do oil analysis to compare shear metals.  And don't forget to weigh in on oil change intervals.  Do you wait for the light?  Do you do it every 3 months?  How about 5,000 miles?

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

RedLine vs Royal Purple vs Mobil1 vs Wal*Mart.  Then we will have to cut open oil filters, and do oil analysis to compare shear metals.  And don't forget to weigh in on oil change intervals.  Do you wait for the light?  Do you do it every 3 months?  How about 5,000 miles?

Oh, this is my favorite part. I've always changed at 9600 miles, quality oil (big manufacturers) only and never burnt a drop even at 180K miles.

The cherry syrup looking Castrol that Ford recommends, currently in my Ecoboost, looks brand new at 9600.

I'm doing it at home . . . . and with only 25,000 miles on the van  -  I don't expect to see any 'dirty' ATF come out.  My only concern is to eventually get it switched over 100% from Mercon LV to a full synthetic.  I'll settle for 95% for now and drain and refill another 4 quarts when I do my next oil change at 30,000

The 6F35 has been used in many Ford vehicles for several years and it does not the best reputation . . . . and it's VERY expensive to repair/replace once it's out of warranty.  No filter you can change and I really don't care for that.  Personally, I believe the "100K service" on this transmission is all marketing hype which helps sell vehicles.  From what I've read, there is a significant percentage of  these transmissions which will never make it to 100K.  I read that the trans is quite hard on it's fluid and I wonder how much Ford actually saved by NOT installing fully synthetic ATF from the factory.  I suppose they have a fairly high confidence that 90 something percent of them will make it to the end of the warranty with LV and no service and that's probably the number the bean counters were looking at

The only other automatic my wife and I have any experience with was a mid 90's Mitsubishi that I bought her and it's trans had a questionable reputation at best, but it did have a drain plug installed in the pan and I drained 3 quarts and refilled at every other oil change (6,000 miles) and that trans made it to about 125K when the vehicle was hit in the rear and totaled.  I did install an aftermarket oil cooler on that car when I first bought it as well

I would like to be confident that the 6F35 in our TC will make it to 175 to 200K reliably but I don't have that sort of faith in this trans, so I'm adopting a pretty aggressive maintenance schedule and switching to synthetic.  Won't cost me that much in the long run (compared to a repair) and it's only a little more time and trouble . . . . . and I'll feel lots better about it

Don 

16 hours ago, mrtn said:

Oh, this is my favorite part. I've always changed at 9600 miles, quality oil (big manufacturers) only and never burnt a drop even at 180K miles.

The cherry syrup looking Castrol that Ford recommends, currently in my Ecoboost, looks brand new at 9600.

That is madness.  9600.  Then 19200.  Then 28800.  Then 38400.  I'm losing count.  I'm losing my mind.  I need a beer!  Might as well let a shop with coupons change it, and put a little sticker on the windshield.  That's like going on a date, and taking a girl to a restaurant that you clipped a coupon for.

I have changed the trans fluid twice  at about 22000 miles(36000+ Km) and 53000 miles (88300 + Km) .The fluid was noticeably dark both times.  I have several trailers I tow and live in hilly terrain.  The fluid works hard and shows it .

The cooler line is hard to Access so I use the multiple drain and fill method.

There is a post I did with pictures if you want to check it out.

15 hours ago, G B L said:

There is a post I did with pictures if you want to check it out.

Yes, that post was a great help  -  Thank you!

I'm going to do it over a period of several days.  Drain & refill once, drive it 10 or 15 miles and do it again the next day.  Since I'm switching to synthetic I think I'll eventually be doing 5 separate drains to get me to at least a 95% exchange.  Then I'll do a drain and refill each time I do an oil change at 10,000 miles.  That should keep it fresh enough without having to do another full exchange every 25K

Don

Most of the Fluid that will not drain when the plug is pulled is in the Converter.   If you Refill and run for  1 or 2 Min that oil is pushed out of the converter and back to the sump. If you do at least  3 drain and fills then you will get the old fluid out faster with less Mixing.  The exchange will happen faster.

Now let's get back to the good stuff.  The part where we debate US to metric measurements, and conversions.  

Funny thing is that most Americans don't know that the American Gallon is different from the Imperial Gallon, so when we talk about gas prices per gallon, it could mean two entirely different units of measure.  And of course, people in the US don't even know what the metric system is.......  I measure anatomy with metric.  Gives a bigger number to help boost my ego.  15 CM is better than 6".